Going to the safer side - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Going to the safer side

Iv seen so many posts about bike wrecks recently. Until now, I rode with minimal protection, t shirt and maybe a leather vest, half helmet, running shoes.

No more. Full face helmet is on the way, heavy boots, armored jacket. So there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
lesblank, KCW, AngeloBJ and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 PM

Good for you. Hopefully you never have to use them.
It's better to have protection and not need it , than to need it and not have it.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Yep, and my kid is a budding biker. What I get she gets.

lesblank, eruby, KCW and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:25 PM
KCW

Garage
since I got my license 6 years ago I have always felt that

1. I know that MC riders are at risk of accidents, and usually its not our fault if we ride defensively

and

2. If I get knocked off my bike by someone else, once I hit the pavement what happens after that is 100% on me.

When I got my first set of gear the guy at the bike shop showed me the gear he was wearing when he hit a deer at 50mph and highsided over the handlebars. His FF helmet looked like someone attacked it with an angle grinder. His jacket and pants were in rough shape but intact.

He was able to get up and walk away. I was inspired.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm with you.

KCW likes this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:17 PM

I’m with you guys...in theory. It gets above 90 and, at least for me, it’s absolute misery to be in a FF and substantial gear. I would much prefer to stay off the bike in those conditions, in that gear. Therefore, I assume the greater risk with lesser gear when it’s hot. It’s on me if I take a spill and get tore up—I accept that.
JonMaz2112 likes this.

Last edited by Cliffieg; 05-23-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:53 PM

Garage
In the past there have been many threads about riding gear. This might be a good time to revisit them and post your likes and dislikes. I personally ride with helmet, jacket, gloves and boots every time I ride. I have and use chaps and protected over pants about 50% of the time. Protective gear a personal choice and encourage all to use. I do believe everyone has the choice to do what they think is best for them. Except when effects me. People who choose not to wear protection and in an accident drive up the cost of insurance due to medical costs which I'm forced to pay. I realized this is a debated subject and don't want to force my will upon others, I just all to ride as safely as possible.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ghlight=Helmet

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...er-gloves.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ing-pants.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ots-shoes.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...r-jackets.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ing-jeans.html
JonMaz2112 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:30 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffieg View Post
Iím with you guys...in theory. It gets above 90 and, at least for me, itís absolute misery to be in a FF and substantial gear. ...
maybe the answer goes without saying, but when its over 90F you do take the windshield off your motorcycle, yes?

I lived in Iowa for 4 years, in the summer it was so hot the only way we could sit outside was to sit in the shade of the garage, and put the garden hose in the gutter over our heads, spraying out a fine mist.

Ive wondered if putting something similar on a motorcycle would be viable for very hot days, a mist that sprays on your mesh jacket while you are riding, to keep your shirt damp in the windblast ?
750 Chris likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
maybe the answer goes without saying, but when its over 90F you do take the windshield off your motorcycle, yes?

I lived in Iowa for 4 years, in the summer it was so hot the only way we could sit outside was to sit in the shade of the garage, and put the garden hose in the gutter over our heads, spraying out a fine mist.

Ive wondered if putting something similar on a motorcycle would be viable for very hot days, a mist that sprays on your mesh jacket while you are riding, to keep your shirt damp in the windblast ?
When I first bought my 'liner, it was completely naked, and I wore only a full-face helmet. After the first year or so, I pretty much quit riding because the wind was beating the ever-lovin' stuffing outta me. I know "buffeting" isn't supposed to happen without a shield or fairing, but I'm telling you...I was getting a very violent, vibrating wind effect. You know the feeling where you think your eyeballs are gonna get shaken outta their sockets? Maybe it's my height, maybe it's the design of the 'liner, maybe it's my size 8 noggin, I don't know. But I didn't start riding much again until I got somewhat comfortable, and I didn't get comfortable until I put both a windshield and fork deflectors on. I still get plenty o' wind out there, for my taste.

I like the idea of a bike mister, but I'm not sure anything will help much in the dog days of summer. Over the course of July, August, and early September we'll probably catch 60 days of 100+. No amount of wind helps cool you off when it's that hot, in my experience. My guess is the air temps reach 130 or so 3, 4, 5 feet above the asphalt. I usually just wimp out till it eases up.
lesblank likes this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:49 AM
KCW

Garage
you can get turbulent head buffeting without a windshield, sometimes the air blasting off the headlight will become chaotic, or the shape of your helmet and visor may not be ideal for sitting in an up-right posture

Sometimes I take the windshield off my 650 and leave the fork deflectors on - it throws a lot of laminar air up into my chest and helmet at 40 to 60 mph, but at highway speeds there is very little air hitting my chest, but its trying to blow my head off. No buffeting but I have to lean way forward to balance the wind blast.

when its hot the wind only cools you down if your body has a layer of moisture to evaporate. On a motorcycle with no windbreaker layer you can get dehydrated quickly on a hot day, you keep sweating it out, and the wind keeps stripping it away.

There is a point where its just too hot to ride, wait till the sun goes down. Its the opposite of us here in the Great White North in January.
JonMaz2112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode