Yearly father and son camping trip this weekend - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Yearly father and son camping trip this weekend

Every year my son and myself take a motocamping trip, this will be our third year. This year we will be riding in S. Louisiana hitting some of the Easy Rider movie route, particularly the Amelia bridge, the town of Franklin and the levee rd. We will camp at Burns Point which is a state park on the coast (West Cote Blanche Bay) for the first night. The next day we will head up the levee road following the Atachafalaya River past Pierre Part up through Grosse Tete and crossing the Mississippi River at St Francisville, then head up Hwy 61 and camp at Clear Lake in the Homochitto Forest in Mississippi. The next day we will split up and head home. It promises to be a great trip with great scenery. I will be making a video and posting on Youtube, I am not very good at making videos but they are ok, I guess.

I know a lot of people prefer hotels to sleeping on the ground, but I would like to know how many campers we have on the forum.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:05 AM
KCW

Garage
There are other choices between roughing it and a hotel

every summer a couple of my cousins rent a cabin for the week in the Allegheny State park in the SW corner of NY. It right next to the Allegheny National Forest in NE PA, just incredible MC riding country.

Several of their friends and neighbors rent cabins on the same trail, they bring all their stuff for camping in a big utility trailer, so all we get to ride our motorcycles to the park and back, bringing just our clothes and personal items in our saddle bags.

Then the camping stuff stays in the cabin all week, I can take the saddle bags and windshield off my bike, and we can ride naked bikes pretty much anywhere within a 100 mile radius each day, end up back at the camp, sleep on a bed, have a fire, get a good nights rest, rinse and repeat for the whole week.

The goal is to get the motorcycles to a great place to ride, then have the week without an overloaded bike, to actually enjoy riding it on the one lane asphalt roads thru the mountains and forests.

photo in the national forest...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minister_Creek_-_Allegheny_National_Forest.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	84182  

Last edited by lesblank; 05-23-2019 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Duplicate
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoupGarou View Post
Every year my son and myself take a motocamping trip, this will be our third year. This year we will be riding in S. Louisiana hitting some of the Easy Rider movie route, particularly the Amelia bridge, the town of Franklin and the levee rd. We will camp at Burns Point which is a state park on the coast (West Cote Blanche Bay) for the first night. The next day we will head up the levee road following the Atachafalaya River past Pierre Part up through Grosse Tete and crossing the Mississippi River at St Francisville, then head up Hwy 61 and camp at Clear Lake in the Homochitto Forest in Mississippi. The next day we will split up and head home. It promises to be a great trip with great scenery. I will be making a video and posting on Youtube, I am not very good at making videos but they are ok, I guess.

I know a lot of people prefer hotels to sleeping on the ground, but I would like to know how many campers we have on the forum.
Got an avid camper right here @LoupGarou! That’s why I got the trailer to tow behind the bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:26 AM

I prefer camping [as long as it's not raining] to hotels. Something about pulling into a campground next to the picnic table and having everything right there. And even at 66 sleeping on the ground with a good pad is still comfortable, especially if there is a babbling creek nearby. I never have liked hotels for some reason and having to unpack the bike and haul everything in the room is a huge pain in the butt.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
There are other choices between roughing it and a hotel

every summer a couple of my cousins rent a cabin for the week in the Allegheny State park in the SW corner of NY. It right next to the Allegheny National Forest in NE PA, just incredible MC riding country.

Several of their friends and neighbors rent cabins on the same trail, they bring all their stuff for camping in a big utility trailer, so all we get to ride our motorcycles to the park and back, bringing just our clothes and personal items in our saddle bags.

Then the camping stuff stays in the cabin all week, I can take the saddle bags and windshield off my bike, and we can ride naked bikes pretty much anywhere within a 100 mile radius each day, end up back at the camp, sleep on a bed, have a fire, get a good nights rest, rinse and repeat for the whole week.

The goal is to get the motorcycles to a great place to ride, then have the week without an overloaded bike, to actually enjoy riding it on the one lane asphalt roads thru the mountains and forests.

What a great idea @KCW! Would it be great if we could organize a forum get together for such an event?!
Now there’s an idea.
Keith Post likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

A good pad is essential and there are some really good inflatable ones available. Hearing the crickets, running water, frogs, all make for a relaxing night.

I do ok without a trailer, but if my wife was to come, I would certainly need one. LOL

Living in the deep south my camping is limited to the spring and fall. We always go on Memorial Day weekend and that is pushing it as for as the heat goes, but come October, I will be ready to go again.
Keith Post and JonMaz2112 like this.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Our trip was a success, although we had to make a long detour due to high water on 2 roads that I planned to ride. If anyone wanders where all of that flood water in the midwest goes, well we found it. The sunset image is on the Gulf of Mexico, the water images shows how close the water is to the top of the levee along the Morganza Spillway which diverts water from the Mississippi River, the road we are on is on top of the levee that is about 40" high and the last campsite is in Mississippi. I will be making a short video soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190525_082801T.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	84234   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190525_094612T.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	84236   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190525_195535T.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	84238   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_133937T.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	84240   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_133941T.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	84242  

Keith Post, YammyV, KCW and 1 others like this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Had to post this seprately
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190527_062037T.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	84244  
Keith Post likes this.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:28 AM
KCW

Garage
nice photos! good to see some people still carry a real camera
Keith Post likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 AM

Garage
Nice pics! Where in Ms was the campsite? Looks like you guys had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode