Aftermarket Saddlebags... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Saddlebags...

So I got some saddlebags with the bike but I don't like them, too small. Has anyone bought Saddlemen or Vicking bags and if so, what's your opinion of these makes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:11 PM

Garage
I have these Viking Bags. Had them for several years. No major issues or concerns. I would buy again.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
I have these Viking Bags. Had them for several years. No major issues or concerns. I would buy again.

Thanks for the photos, looks great!
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:16 PM

I have Viking bags and they're quite good. BUT, the hardware that Viking sells for installing them is..... well, let's just say they're crap. So, you might want to look into getting different support brackets from online and bolts from your local ACE or Home Depot, etc.

Originally I had used the Viking hardware that came with them and didn't experience any noticeable issues, but after reading some threads about other people's complaints with the hardware, decided to upgrade my setup. When removing the bags, one of my bolts had a definite bend to it. So I replaced the brackets and bolts and added some other stuff to increase strength of the arrangement.

My actual bags appear to be quite hardy materials and I have zero complaints about them. I do recommend them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vn750Guy.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	84218  

750 Chris Here in this forum
750 Chris In VRA forum
Vn750Guy** In vulcanforums
750 Guy In VROC forum
Chris and Shim In vn750.com forum
Long retired USAF AMMO troop (74 to 95)
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750 Chris View Post
I have Viking bags and they're quite good. BUT, the hardware that Viking sells for installing them is..... well, let's just say they're crap. So, you might want to look into getting different support brackets from online and bolts from your local ACE or Home Depot, etc.

Originally I had used the Viking hardware that came with them and didn't experience any noticeable issues, but after reading some threads about other people's complaints with the hardware, decided to upgrade my setup. When removing the bags, one of my bolts had a definite bend to it. So I replaced the brackets and bolts and added some other stuff to increase strength of the arrangement.

My actual bags appear to be quite hardy materials and I have zero complaints about them. I do recommend them.
They look great, they follow the lines well. Thanks!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:00 PM

I just remembered something else with Viking bags. Every so often they'll send out (to proven customers) e-mails asking if you'd like to have your bike featured on their website. If so, send them some pics. They even ask if you'd like to make a short video about your experience with the bags.

I sent them, over the course of a few years, probably half a dozen pics and sure enough, they made it onto their website. What I did not think about until I stumbled across it by accident was that they might also take your pictures and put them on the internet.

One day I went online and felt like looking at random pictures of my species bike. There were quite a few pictures from everywhere and WOW! THAT one is mine! I found 5 more when I kept on looking.

Generally, when I look at online pictures of my type bike there will still be from 3 to 6 pics that I recognize as my machine. I just looked again yesterday and 4 were still in there. If you don't mind that happening, assuming you send them any pics, then you'll be pleased to see your specimen become "famous" (sorta). If you don't want the pics to get online then don't send Viking any pics. I personally don't mind but all of the pics are on the old-side now with nothing updated to its current look.
blackadder likes this.

750 Chris In VRA forum
750 Guy In VROC forum
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just remembered something else with Viking bags. Every so often they'll send out (to proven customers) e-mails asking if you'd like to have your bike featured on their website. If so, send them some pics. They even ask if you'd like to make a short video about your experience with the bags.

I sent them, over the course of a few years, probably half a dozen pics and sure enough, they made it onto their website. What I did not think about until I stumbled across it by accident was that they might also take your pictures and put them on the internet.

One day I went online and felt like looking at random pictures of my species bike. There were quite a few pictures from everywhere and WOW! THAT one is mine! I found 5 more when I kept on looking.

Generally, when I look at online pictures of my type bike there will still be from 3 to 6 pics that I recognize as my machine. I just looked again yesterday and 4 were still in there. If you don't mind that happening, assuming you send them any pics, then you'll be pleased to see your specimen become "famous" (sorta). If you don't want the pics to get online then don't send Viking any pics. I personally don't mind but all of the pics are on the old-side now with nothing updated to its current look.
Well I ended up ordering Saddlemen saddlebags. Can only get Viking bags in the US, and it costs a fortune to ship here. Saddlemen are very similar to Viking. Got the extra jumbo ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruisn-Slant-Saddlebags-3501-0309_1559070434068.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	84226  
lesblank likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:23 PM

If they are what you want, then we all hope you'll enjoy them!! I suppose, as a generic statement, the lesson learned from my above posting about pictures getting on the internet, might possibly extend to other manufacturers aside from Viking.

I've no personal experience with Saddlemen bags but they've been around for a long time and have a good selection, too. Once you've got them on how about showing us a few pics???

Incidentally, where is "NB"?
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

750 Chris In VRA forum
750 Guy In VROC forum
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:31 PM

This is a good place to go to find darn near any bolt you'd ever need. Lots of other doo-dads, also. It does a decent job of explaining the concept of different strength bolts, too. The grading system is different for SAE and Metric bolts. Since our collective bikes all take Metric, its good info to have/know when someone is thinking about sourcing for new attachment bolts locally.

https://www.fastenersuperstore.com/?...3ee11389d5296e

Edited: Actually THIS is the one I wanted to paste, but the one above may be ok, I haven't really looked at it.
https://www.boltdepot.com/catalog.as...t=Bolt%20Depot

750 Chris In VRA forum
750 Guy In VROC forum
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

Last edited by 750 Chris; 05-28-2019 at 02:34 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If they are what you want, then we all hope you'll enjoy them!! I suppose, as a generic statement, the lesson learned from my above posting about pictures getting on the internet, might possibly extend to other manufacturers aside from Viking.

I've no personal experience with Saddlemen bags but they've been around for a long time and have a good selection, too. Once you've got them on how about showing us a few pics???

Incidentally, where is "NB"?
NB is New Brunswick, Canada. East coast.

Yea I will post pics for sure!
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode