Star 1300 Touring - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Star 1300 Touring

So this being my first Yamaha after owning Kawasaki's and Honda's and one Suzuki after 30 years I have found a couple things concerning or perhaps annoying. 1 , clutch chatter, stopped in neutral with clutch out it rattles, is this normal? 2 the way the tank is made even with the windshield and lower fairings the air comes right around and up, blows my shirt up and rattles my glasses. My 1500 Vulcan did the same. 3 the touring bags are smaller than I thought, suggestions on aftermarket lockable that will clear the exhaust? Other than that I love this thing, plenty of power with good looks and smooth as as a bb on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Oh and one more I forgot, has anyone used E.D. seats?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
I'm sure some1300 owners will chime in. The baffling issue is not just a 1300 issue. Here's a good thread talking about baffling.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...buffeting.html

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:23 AM

Garage
I found some lower deflectors on ebay(not sure what brand) and it made all difference with my ride on the highway. I was with a group last week and hit 90+ and keep on glasses where they belong.

Need some wind therapy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Garage
If you have the 2007 you will get the clutch rattle when in neutral. There is a fix for it but it is expensive. I was thinking if I keep my 2007 long enough to need a clutch change I will fix it.

Need some wind therapy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
Here's a good thread that mentions ED seats.
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...omparison.html

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 06-02-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
I'm sure some1300 owners will chime in
I put lower deflectors on my 1300 Tour, and it transformed the bike. Went from “beat me to death” to Smooth and comfortable, no buffeting at all.

Even with the windshield off in summer, the lowers smoothed the airflow and made for an easier ride.

--
Alan in Denver
2009 1300 Tourer
Cutdown windscreen, MS fork deflectors, lizard lights, Mustang seat and backrest

Last edited by pilotalan; 06-05-2019 at 06:35 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:34 PM
KCW

Garage
Did you buy a used bike with a windshield, or did you get a new/old stock bike and they put the windshield on for you?

A windshield needs to be the right size for the rider, if you want to be able to just look over the top edge then it needs to be about the height of your nose.

If you got a used bike the chances of the windshield being the right height for you is hit and miss.

Also it needs to be adjusted, some can slide up or down a bit, and most can be tilted forwards or back, to address head buffeting (feeling like your helmet is in a paint can shaker to the point where your eyeballs are wiggling like jello, and you cannot read road signs).

Read the threads on head buffeting and windshield adjustments, with the warning that what works for one person on their bike might not work for you - its very much a trail and error process, and make adjustments in small steps.

If you give it a shot and nothing seems right, then look into getting fork deflectors (aka lowers). They will effective extend the windshield almost down to the front axle, and get the air flowing up and over your helmet, hopefully throwing it over your head far enough that the break from laminar flow coming off the shield to turbulent chaotic air happens behind your helmet.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I bought a used bike but it's a Tourer with the factory 23' windshield. The air around my helmet is fine , its the air coming off the back of the tank, past the eng and straight up into my face at an upward angle that bothers the heck out of me. If I keep my knees tucked to the tank it goes away but that is uncomfortable for me as I am a little duck footed to begin with. I'm gonna try the lower fork deflectors and have the windshield cut to 19 inches and see what that does.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Huge windshield and it already has some lower deflectors attached but they dont do the job imop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG955737_1560269812585.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	84372  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode