Moving on, upgraded from VStar to Indian - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Moving on, upgraded from VStar to Indian

I'll be moving on from the forum. I traded in my '09 VStar 950T on an Indian Scout.

The Scout is a smaller bike with a bit bigger engine, and the engine is better in virtually every way. It's a 10 yr newer engine with 4 valves / cyl. It makes more power at all RPMs and it revs eagerly. The smaller bike fits me very nicely (I'm 5'6).
I pushed the 950 to it's top speed a cpl (cough*cough) times and at times wanted more. I passed a truck on the Scout and went from 55 to 90 w/o trying. I don't think I'll go full speed on the Scout - I've read they'll do 125, and even faster with a 'tuner' (like a power commander).

The Scout has ABS, 6 speed trans (both things I feel the VStar should be upgraded with), gear indicator, RPM (digital, one of the options w/ odom, trip odom & engine temp) and water cooling. Water cooling allows for closer tolerances and some say makes for a much longer running engine.
I do 'need' to add heel-toe shifter, floor boards and saddlebags; there are multiple sources for them.
I'm thinking of putting on a single exhaust so I can put on bigger saddlebags.

I haven't been real active on this forum, which is a testament to the reliability of the VStar.

I never liked the speedo 'in' the gas tank. I've worn a modular helmet for years, had to get a open face helmet for the VStar. There were quite a few times that I couldn't read the Odom or clock.
The speedo on the Scout is spot-on (per GPS), so no need for doing math when riding w/o GPS.

I'll be around for a bit more - I'm selling the Mustang dual wide touring seat off the 950 - it's in the For Sale section.
HipG
Keith Post, YammyV, KCW and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:39 AM

Garage
Best of luck with the Scout!

Me personally, you can hang around & provide updates on the Scout's performance & reliability.
But, that's an admins choice.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
Keith Post likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:23 AM

Garage
Congrats on the new bike. Definitely hang around as your experience with the Vstar can be shared with new members. To me moving to a different bike is not an upgrade as much as update. It's hard to say changing styles is a upgrade. You are moving forward 10 years in technology. Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:59 AM

Garage
HipGnosis,
You’re more than welcome to stick around and I believe it would be beneficial for you and us.
I agree with some of the things you mentioned on the Vstar 950.
I respect your choice and hope you’ll consider remaining an active member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NorthernRider and Scrumdown like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:01 PM
KCW

Garage
I saw one yesterday, got a few minutes to look it over.

Have to give them credit for making a water cooled engine and not putting fake air-cooled fins on it (like my Royal Star V4).

You are use to riding a 950, I think the Scout scrapes in the corners about the same, so that is an even swap.

All the things you listed as being a fresh design are not really anything new. Yamaha did a pretty good job of giving riders the option to choose what they want, from fairly simple engines with carbs and electronic ignition, or fuel injection, over head cams, or push rods, drive shaft or belt drive - they covered all the bases pretty well.

BMW has demonstrated that putting the bells and whistles on a motorcycle is not free, their bikes are more expensive, and they are less reliable (bottom of the list on Consumer Reports) simply because the more things you put on a bike, the more things there are to break, and render the MC un-usable until it goes back to the dealer for repairs.

Let us know how it goes (pun intended). For all the good qualities of Vstar bikes, there is one fatal flaw: Yamaha stopped making them a couple years ago, and we are all orphans now. There will be good used Vstar bikes available for years, but sooner or later we will all be thinking about what to get next if we decide we want a brand-new motorcycle.

PS: This thread is useless without photos :^)

Last edited by KCW; 06-08-2019 at 12:03 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
For all the good qualities of Vstar bikes, there is one fatal flaw: Yamaha stopped making them a couple years ago, and we are all orphans now. There will be good used Vstar bikes available for years, but sooner or later we will all be thinking about what to get next if we decide we want a brand-new motorcycle.
In 1994 Yamaha announced the creation of Star Motorcycles, a new standalone brand name for its cruiser series of motorcycles in the American market. Although a separate brand, Star motorcycles will continue to be sold at Yamaha dealerships. In other markets the same bikes will still be sold as Yamahas.

There are still New V-Stars around. They just made it an offshoot division, kind of like Ram trucks is an offshoot of Dodge.
Keith Post likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:28 PM
KCW

Garage
KentB,

I think you are mixing up the beginning of the Vstar line of motorcycles with the end of the Vstar production.

Yes Yamaha branched off the Vstar bike design from Japan to the USA in 1994 - their previous attempts at making a direct competitor to harley Vtwin cruiser bikes up to that point was making Japanese interpretation of what a harley 'should' look like.

The Vstar engineers in the USA had none of that, they outright copied the look and feel of early 1960's Harleys while using Japanese engine design expertise and production cost reduction. Side by side the Vstar 650, 1100, Road Star... look very much like Harley bikes.

About 2 or 3 years ago now Yamaha pulled the plug on Vstar bikes. There will be no more Vstar 650, 1100, 950, 1300, Road Star, Royal Star V4, Road liners, Sratoliner... they are all discontinued.

The Bolt is still being made, its a Vtwin but its more like a HD sportster than a cruiser bike.

The New Venture is being sold as a touring bike, its a Vtwin, but it never carried the Vstar label.

Lots more info here: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...phans-now.html
Scrumdown likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

if i didn't have my 950 i'd most likely go with a Scout

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:46 AM

Garage
Now that i am getting older i had a Honda Vtx 1800 for 10 years. Up dated or down graded to 1100 Vstar.
I am a cruiser not a speeder. Having said that the biggest difference for me between 50hp star and 103hp
Vtx is pushing it out of the garage. The Vtx is over 200# more. That was a great bike also.
Honda did the same thing discontinuing the Vtx for the Fury. All i can guess is they figure the cruiser market is going away? I don't get it.
Keith Post likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:41 PM

Garage
I stand corrected. 2017 was the last year. Well that sux. I guess Yamaha doesn't want our business.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode