What kind of jackets and pants are suitable for summer? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 15Likes
  • 2 Post By juliatom543
  • 4 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By lesblank
  • 3 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By bevo1981
  • 2 Post By Deeksvstarclassic
  • 1 Post By Deeksvstarclassic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

What kind of jackets and pants are suitable for summer?

I am new here, I am here to ask what kind of jackets are you guys like to wear in summers when on the ride? Actually last summer the pants which I wore sweats a lot and makes me totally uncomfortable, now I am thinking to buy pants from the ski bum Coupon code, because its user reviews are too good, but before that, I thought its better to ask you guys, if anyone has experienced with their pants and jackets?
Keith Post and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:48 AM
KCW

Garage
for the summer look at textile or mesh jackets and pants

they are made of a mesh material that lets the wind thru, but they are almost like a bullet proof material that will keep you from getting road rash when you go sliding across the pavement

dont get gear designed for skiiing, you need motorcycle riding gear, which also has padding to protect your shoulders, elbows, back, hips, knees

and while you are looking, proper motorcycle riding boots that will protect your ankles from being crushed or ground down to the bone in a slide, and motorcycle riding gloves.

A full set of mesh riding gear will cost you about $1000 (US) including boots and helmet. It will be worth every dollar the first time something causes you go sliding across the pavement at 60mph. Watch a motorcycle road race, in almost every race a rider goes sliding across the asphalt, gets up, and gets back on his bike and continues to race.

Road rash and broken bones take months to heal. Putting on your full gear takes about 2 minutes.

Last edited by KCW; 06-14-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:59 AM

Garage
Here's a few good threads to check out about riding gear.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Pants

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...r-jackets.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Jeans

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ghlight=Gloves

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ghlight=Gloves
Keith Post and Redbird58 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 AM
KCW

Garage
How much riding experience do you have, and do you have your MC license yet?

If not I recommend you take the MSF beginners riding course. Its around $300, you get to ride their bikes for 3 days, and at the end of the course you get your MC license. You will be glad you took the course the first time you avoid an accident because of the skills you learned, it will pay for itself right there, and all the other accidents you avoid after that are just frosting on the cake.

You can find the MSF course material online, read the section on riding gear, its based on decades of experience by thousands of riders.

I got my gear from a local shop. The salesman showed me all the gear he was wearing when he hit a deer at 60mph, got up a bit bruised, but was able to walk away. I love to learn from the expense of other peoples experience.

The best part of getting your license by taking the MSF course is: if you go out and practice for weeks with your permit and another rider, and you take the standard road test, and you fail, the DOT employee will only tell you that you failed for these mistakes. He will not tell you what you were doing wrong that caused the mistakes, how to correct your riding technique, or how to ride better. You will have to take the test again with no feedback.

At the MSF course the instructors watch you doing all the required maneuvers, and they correct you immediately if you are doing something wrong, you get instant feedback and learn to ride correctly. If you are having trouble they will have you do it over and over till you get it right and can do it right consistently.

In my case I had owned an off-road motorcycle for decades and I thought riding on the street was just more of the same. When riding off-road you keep your eyes on the trail, so you dont hit rocks and tree limbs - the instructors must have told me 20 or 30 times: LOOK UP! Keep your eyes up and look where you are going, not at the street. Bad habits are hard to break by yourself.

Last edited by KCW; 06-14-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

forget textile. if you want something with maximum airflow to keep you cool and prevent getting hot and sweaty, look for mesh. and it's not going to break the break. mesh jacket, mesh pants as well if you choose. something like this:

KCW likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Last edited by bevo1981; 06-14-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
How much riding experience do you have, and do you have your MC license yet?

In my case I had owned an off-road motorcycle for decades and I thought riding on the street was just more of the same. When riding off-road you keep your eyes on the trail, so you dont hit rocks and tree limbs - the instructors must have told me 20 or 30 times: LOOK UP! Keep your eyes up and look where you are going, not at the street. Bad habits are hard to break by yourself.
In my case i got my license the old fashioned way. They didn't have the dealer classes back then hell (they just invented the wheel). After i got my license i took a MC safety course and the biggest thing i learned was
= KEEP YOUR EYES UP=
Best $35 i ever spent

Also wear something under my assless chaps
KCW and Yamaha Pat like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!

Last edited by Deeksvstarclassic; 06-14-2019 at 12:26 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:31 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
forget textile. if you want something with maximum airflow to keep you cool and prevent getting hot and sweaty, look for mesh. ...
I have been using the terms textile and mesh interchangeably, did not realize they are different fabric designs. Textile is the same material, but more tightly woven fabric with less airflow than a mesh jacket.

Thanks for the catch, I edited my original post to include both.

I always thought the main choice was between leather, and man-made materials.

should also point out that textile/mesh gear is normally a one-slide use set of gear. Depending on how fast you are going across the asphalt even a $1000 leather jacket can be ruined, but you will be ok. Something to consider for your insurance - comprehensive coverage is usually pretty cheap for a used motorcycle, and it will cover replacing all your gear if you get knocked down.

Last edited by KCW; 06-14-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:44 PM

Garage
When i took my safety course i was told not to wear man made materials that
can melt while sliding. How much have the materials changed are man made
safe these days. Not much technology back then.
Heck Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet
KCW likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 PM

Garage
I always wore a heavy leather jacket, heat be damned. Then last year I found a deal on a mesh Harley jacket. Wow, what a difference. It's like wearing a tee shirt but still having all the protection of leather. Absolutely the way to go.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode