Never dropped mine; somebody did it for me - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:04 AM

Garage
Sounds like a kid did it to me. Most adults know better than to mess with a man's motorcycle, but I feel like if another man was to have dropped it, they would have stood it back up so you would never know. If it was backed into, there should be some evidence somewhere. New scratches or small dent or something. All I do know, is that you took it a heckuva lot better than I would have. I would have been livid. No way to know for sure, but people would have known I was pissed about it.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

I don't have to have fast, I just have to have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I think he said the rear turn signal that was not on the ground was damaged, pushed over from that side.

Something I have learned over the years, there are 7 billion people on Earth. There is nothing good to be gained by giving control over your emotions to any of them.

40,000 people are killed in vehicle accidents in the US every year, a couple hundred thousand vehicles are totaled, and about that many people are seriously injured. About 75% of those people did not do anything wrong, the accidents were caused by the other 25%.

People cannot avoid ramming into each other, driving, parking, even in their own driveways.

Expect it to happen sooner or later, then there is nothing to get upset or emotional about. If you ride or drive your entire life someone or something else is going to destroy one of your vehicles at least.

You cant stop that, so why get upset? Thats just the way it is.
Logical point my daughter got hers out of the way at 20 yrs old when
a woman in the suv ran a red light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gee.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	84424  

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I think he said the rear turn signal that was not on the ground was damaged, pushed over from that side.

Something I have learned over the years, there are 7 billion people on Earth. There is nothing good to be gained by giving control over your emotions to any of them.

40,000 people are killed in vehicle accidents in the US every year, a couple hundred thousand vehicles are totaled, and about that many people are seriously injured. About 75% of those people did not do anything wrong, the accidents were caused by the other 25%.

People cannot avoid ramming into each other, driving, parking, even in their own driveways.

Expect it to happen sooner or later, then there is nothing to get upset or emotional about. If you ride or drive your entire life someone or something else is going to destroy one of your vehicles at least.

You cant stop that, so why get upset? Thats just the way it is.
So, you go through life without ever getting angry? Congratulations to you. You must be a monk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:49 AM

Garage
That's the beauty of this country. You do you, and I'm going to do me. I would have been livid. As you stated, you wouldn't have. That's fine, but I see no reason in that at all for you to "preach" to me about how it is. I am not telling you that you need to get angry, but yet you somehow feel the need to tell me not to. Keep stuff like that to yourself. Thank you.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Here’s a closeup:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...gZMmX5pk48OHbF

Signal works, thankfully. Wires may have been stressed but they’re obviously intact. There is no looseness in that signal bar at all. Feels entirely rigid, which makes me suspect some bent metal. If you were me, would you try and tap it back into place, or would you wait for a pro to look at it? I’d hate to snap it, as I can ride with it as is. Looks terrible, but...I care only slightly about that.

Also, the liners are all EFI.

Last edited by Cliffieg; 06-16-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:55 PM

Garage
Looking at the exploded view, looks like the bracket that holds turn signal on is part of arm. OEM replacement is $130. I would remove turn assembly and see if internal bracket can be straightened. If it's steel should be easy. Remember you will have to bend a little more than straight as the bracket will want to spring back. Hope that made sense. Keep us informed.

Cliffieg and JonMaz2112 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:05 PM

Garage
"I thought I was going to puke".
I get that. I almost puked for you. Everyone's worst nightmare. Well, not worst by any means but I feel your pain.
graybeard and Cliffieg like this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:06 PM

Garage
That is such a gut punch. You did well, taking it as much in stride as possible. Didn't let it ruin an otherwise good ride.

You take care of your stuff, take extra care on the road, ride defensively, and be lucky enough not to get run over or forced down, etc, etc, etc, and then to have somebody just knock it over for you and run. People are pigs. Glad you maintained your equanimity so well and the bike sustained minimal damage. Good for you. No chance of a security camera on the parking lot, I guess?

We watched a drunk girl back into a car in austin late one night, wobble out of the car to look, (broken glass on both vehicles, slightly bent metal), get back in her car and drive away. We got her license, left it and our numbers for the victim. The victim called us for the story, got a number to call from police, spoke to a husband who said her story was that someone must have hit her. He believed the truth. Good guy. Same town, two years later, I came out to find a note on my car and a big dent in rear fender. The note was from a good samaritan that witnessed a woman (a pattern emerges) back into me, take a look, and leave the scene. What is that? Complete lack of character, morals, honor? What?
Keith Post, lesblank and Cliffieg like this.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for "feeling my pain" and thanks Les for the diagram! I'll report back when progress is made.
Keith Post and lesblank like this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Progress is made. I figgered from Les’s diagram I should just be able to bend it back into place, which I did. That rubber seal on the arm doesn’t make perfect contact with the main housing, but you’d have to really look to notice.

One piece of luck I failed to mention previously is the plastic Madonna bullet boob rear signal lens cover just popped off intact when Mr. Henpoop hit my scoot. Was just laying there beside the bike with a tiny crack. Gorilla-taped it on just now and I’m back in bidness, hardly the worse for wear.

I suppose I have taken my first baby steps toward owning a 2008 roadliner rat bike in 2031. I’m starting to get how it happens. Every crap thing that happens, you just keep strapping it together and the affection deepens. Gotta admit, I was expecting to trade this one in (10 yr anniversary in Aug) in the fall/winter....I’ll still probably buy new, but I don’t think the ‘liner is ever leaving my garage. Think we’re gonna renew our vows soon. ;-)

Btw, oil level perfect. Pretty sure this is a bike to ride through an apocalypse on...
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by Cliffieg; 06-17-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode