Never dropped mine; somebody did it for me - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Never dropped mine; somebody did it for me

Took a trip down to my favorite mc destination in Texas, Bandera, Friday. I stay at some little cabins just south of downtown by the river when I go. Great place. Walk out onto the front porch this morning and the ‘liner is laying on the right crash bars and tail pipe. I nearly puked. Left rear taillight is jacked. I assume a drunk backed into me, but it’s a small place and logistically, it’s hard to imagine how.

I started to try to right her and several folks saw me and came running, which i greatly appreciated. Bad way to start the day, but damage is very minor and she ran great all the way home.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9dLiF9YzBFU4jR

If this is the worst that happens to me on an MC trip, I’ll count myself lucky, of course. Still...pretty henpoop thing to Pee Wee Herman somebody’s bike and head for the hills.
Keith Post and graybeard like this.

Last edited by Cliffieg; 06-16-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:21 PM
KCW

Garage
that is painful

I had two experiences where my bike ended up parked right behind someone's car or truck.

In both cases I was eating lunch and could see my bike - and in both case I somehow 'knew' the person would back into it.

The first was a woman with a car, I watched her go out, and walk past my bike and get in her car. I figured she just walked past the bike so she knows its there. She got in the car, fiddled around with something for 5 minutes, then she called someone on the phone... started the car up, put it in reverse, and I ran out NO NO NO NO NO! and stopped her.

The second time I had parked behind a pickup truck, a good 8 feet back. I saw the guy heading for his truck and before he got there I decided OK Lunch is OVER and ran out and got on my bike.
Keith Post, graybeard and Cliffieg like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Garage
Cliffieg, really glad no major damage. I'm sure it was a really sickening feeling. Did any oil or gas leak out while on it's side?
Keith Post and Cliffieg like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Funny thing is, the way this place is laid out, Iím not within 15 yds of where anyone else would naturally park. Go figger. May have been best for all involved I was fast asleep...

But that feeling when you see it coming like you describe, KCW...itís the WORST. Iíd have abandoned lunch, too. That slow-mo, here-it-comes scenario and you just KNOW the person is in a state of oblivion...bad news. Cell phones have made that stuff 1000x worse, as we all know.
Keith Post, KCW and JonMaz2112 like this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Donít think so, Les, no gas smell, didnít notice any oil spots on the ground or on the pipe or engine, probably alright. Good point though and I need to doublecheck the level. I should have checked before I left this morning, but I was kinda discombobulated even though I was trying not to be.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffieg View Post
Took a trip down to my favorite mc destination in Texas, Bandera, Friday. I stay at some little cabins just south of downtown by the river when I go. Great place. Walk out onto the front porch this morning and the ‘liner is laying on the right crash bars and tail pipe. I nearly puked. Left rear taillight is jacked. I assume a drunk backed into me, but it’s a small place and logistically, it’s hard to imagine how.

I started to try to right her and several folks saw me and came running, which i greatly appreciated. Bad way to start the day, but damage is very minor and she ran great all the way home.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9dLiF9YzBFU4jR

If this is the worst that happens to me on an MC trip, I’ll count myself lucky, of course. Still...pretty shickenchit thing to Pee Wee Herman somebody’s bike and head for the hills.
I am glad you took it so well. I would have been spitting bullets. After i dried my tears.
I forgot where i saw it it may have been a harley video of about 100# woman uprighting a bike. You put your back to the bike and lift up by the seat. Hopefully that is info no one ever needs to know
Keith Post and Cliffieg like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:52 PM
KCW

Garage
dont know if a RoadLiner has carbs or fuel injection
but your experience is the reason to always always turn your petcock off if your bike has carbs, when you park it and there is any chance someone might knock it over.

A bike on its side can pull the floats up and flood the engine case with gasoline. If you start the bike like that your bearings will be destroyed in a few miles. If the petcock is turned off, nothing will happen.

BTW, its easy to pick up a bike yourself if the kickstand is in the air, you can horse the bike up and not have to worry about it falling over on the other side.... Not so much the other way, just getting the bike vertical can drain you, and you may not be able to hold it from going over.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:58 PM

Garage
Sorry this happened to you Cliffieg, yet Iím glad the damage was minimal, and to drive off after it was struck is pretty low down for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
dont know if a RoadLiner has carbs or fuel injection
but your experience is the reason to always always turn your petcock off if your bike has carbs, when you park it and there is any chance someone might knock it over.

A bike on its side can pull the floats up and flood the engine case with gasoline. If you start the bike like that your bearings will be destroyed in a few miles. If the petcock is turned off, nothing will happen.

BTW, its easy to pick up a bike yourself if the kickstand is in the air, you can horse the bike up and not have to worry about it falling over on the other side.... Not so much the other way, just getting the bike vertical can drain you, and you may not be able to hold it from going over.
Good point with the kickstand. If it had injection would it not have a petcock. My vtx had injection and they said with injection it can't. Something to do with pump pressure. Don't quote me
KCW likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:07 PM
KCW

Garage
that makes sense, a fuel injection pump puts out 40 to 60psi of pressure, you do not want to starve it with a closed fuel line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode