Wired Headset - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By Keith Post
  • 1 Post By YamahaParExcellence
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By lesblank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wired Headset

I rode sport bikes for 35 plus years, cruisers for another 5 years plus. I know have a tour bike (Harley EG). I've used Bluetooth connected to my phone for last few years for music (the voices in my head get annoying at times) and passenger communication (better than hit on helmet to slow down or bathroom break). There are limitations to Bluetooth than I've found, battery live and connectivity. Depending on how much my wife and I talk my Uclear units are good for 4 to 6 hours of constant use. Not bad but always seem to die when I really want them. My units stay connected when riding very well. But when I stop, take helmet off, grab phone for pictures or other stuff and walk away from helmet the connection is lost. Connecting back no big deal but sometimes I forget. My question to those big time touring folks, is wired better. My EG has onboard driver and passenger 7 pin hookup with full separate controls, radio, intercom, CD, weather band, etc. Are wired headsets better and convenient to use. I know some of you have had Goldwings, Harleys, SVTC, etc. Do you use wired Headsets? If so what brand and why. Each head set are expensive ($150 plus), JM ($130), IMC ($85). Is the switch from utilizing bikes system better than Bluetooth thru phone? Any and all input is welcome. Thanks.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Garage
Monica and I went with the Sena 3.0 with Bluetooth connectivity. We can take phone calls, then switch back to talking to each other and others that have at least a Sena 2.0.
We can get at least 6-8 hours use in a day. Were quite satisfied with our units. I hope this helps les. When we meet up at Waynesville Ill be glad to show you our system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank and JonMaz2112 like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, Keith. We were getting better battery when we first got our Uclear units. They are 6 years old and still work pretty good. Just know that soon they will be replaced and since current bike has capabilities of using wired headsets I'm weighing the options.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

you asking about any wired earbuds or those that allow communication between a passenger or other bikers? are you just connecting to your phone? if so, there are wired earbuds out there than have in-line microphone capabilities like this: https://www.shure.com/en-US/products...ories/rmce_uni

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bevo, on the EG I have radio, GPS, CD, intercom, weather band and can hook phone to it. I use Bluetooth now and thinking of using bike's wired capabilities so I'm not depending on Bluetooth battery life. I've never used bike wired headsets. The SVTC has similar setup only much more advanced. Headsets are expensive to a tight was like me ($400 a set) and was seeking some feedback on pros and cons.

Last edited by lesblank; 06-23-2019 at 08:36 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

then that accessory will work. it plugs into the shure earbuds. then you plug it into your bike.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Thanks, Keith. We were getting better battery when we first got our Uclear units. They are 6 years old and still work pretty good. Just know that soon they will be replaced and since current bike has capabilities of using wired headsets I'm weighing the options.

Les, I needed to replace my Arai 3/4 face, with what is new for me...finally...a, cake-and-eat-it-too, 2019 Nolan N100/5 that I put a J&M 801 Elite Series system into. The sound? Fantastic...crystal clear, and the helmet...so comfortable, the features massive, including pin-lock, embedded sun visor...and the fact that I can now FINALLY have the great chin and face saving benefits of running 'full face', but at a gas stop, drink stop, eat stop...up the Chin Bar goes, and now all the 'you-don't have-to-mess-with-your-helmet' benefits of having worn a 3/4, like simply wanting to sip a water bottle at a gas or butt stop!

I know you were asking about wired head-sets..but, if you are due for a new helmet (age of current one...to protect the noggin...) I can't more highly recommend the new Nolan N100/5

In fact..if having one of the best featured and performing wired head sets the J&M 801 Elite Series interests you....you can actually have it come already installed...and ready to go. I should have taken this route...in the Nolan N100/5 that I was interested in. I saved $80.00 by installing it myself...but if having to do it again....heck, I'd let THEM do the custom install...drill the holes, re and re all the padding...etc...because to have it come right out of the box...shipped by them....and be able to go for a ride...in my opinion----->...is WORTH $80.00 for my bother and time. When my wife is coming up for a new helmet...that's the way she will get it...already custom installed...and ready to ride.

BTW, I have a long-oval head shape, that I find being that head shape...a hard search for not getting a helmet that creates an over-eyes (forehead) pressure point...(and that is why I put out for an Arai Signet full face for my Sport/Tour riding) and the Nolan 100/5 is an intermediate-oval...that glad to report, will WORK with a head shape of long-oval. As soon as I put it on...the luxury of the padding, as well as the shell shape, was super comfortable...and now that the helmet has heat formed to my head...even more so...

The J&M 801 Elite Series sound and communication system, ROCKS...
The Nolan N100/5 'convertible' full face to 3/4 ROCKS... and together form a great touring combination! Just sayin'...

Post Edit...the Nolan N100/5 is the only helmet that is LEGAL to run in the chin-bar 'up' mode...as you have a lock switch that will LOCK IT, into open place...and will not come down by accident when under ride...and if you are a European rider...you MUST run with a convertible in the chin down, UNLESS it can meet safety standards (like locking in the open position) to not be fined, if you are caught. I intend to ride most often upon the SVTC in the locked open 3/4 face position, as I love the feel of the wind...and not looking through a visor...but...when slipping my leg over my ZR-750...can bring down the chin bar...and have all the same benefits that my now retired Arai Signet offered me for Sport/Tour. Having this style of helmet...gives you the best of both worlds...simply...the best!

As a guide, my tape-measured head just above the eyes, is just under 24 inches, and I purchased (according to the Nolan chart), an XL...that fits absolutely perfect...snug form fit to head shape and cheeks,...but not tight...which has relaxed a little since two months of wearing...

https://www.jmcorp.com/Nolan-N100-5-Helmets.asp
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 06-24-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bought the IMC headsets for wife and I. These are wired headsets made for the Harley sound system. Installed today and went for quick ride without wife. Today we took grandkids to airport to fly back home, she just wanted to chill and catch here breath after 10 days of having them down here. Sound quality is much better than the Uclear Bluetooth headsets we had, but still would recommend the Uclear units. The volume can be turned up extremely loud. Bass and treble is much better. My bike doesn't have NAV, but hooking phone up to bike all functions of phone works great right through stereo into headset. I can even use Google Assistant and control phone via mike. Wife and I did play with intercom and can used VOX or push to talk. Volume on intercom was very good. I'll update after a few days of communting and whenever wife and I go out. If this sounds like I'm writing this half asleep, I am. Love the grandkids but they wore Pop out this past 10 days.

Keith Post likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wanted to give an update on my wired headsets, I love them. Sound quality is great and since the bike is designed to work with them it's a seamless operation. No more having to charge Bluetooth, no more having to connect phone to Bluetooth. It all works thru the bike. I still connect phone to bikes audio to stream my music, Google Maps and phone calls. I thought having cord going from helmet to bike would be a hassle, it's not at all. The only down side is phone calls. I can hear Incoming audio great, but other end has difficulty hearing me. But you have to remember my bike is pretty loud. I currently have the headset installed in my 3/4 helmet. Below 30 mph off heavy throttle is good, above that I'm having to almost shout. I'm sure when weather gets cooler and I change back to full face the outgoing audio will be better. With my open face helmet I can't use VOX due to wind noise for intercom but my wife has a full face and it works great. Having to push a button on handlebars is no big deal. All controls for audio are on the handlebars so it's super easy to reach.
Keith Post likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode