I'm a lucky dude! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I'm a lucky dude!

They say its not if but when!. Unfortunately, yesterday was my when.
I cruised about 150 miles to a family reunion yesterday morning. I met up with my bro and we rode part of the way together. Had a great time at the reunion and I headed home around 4pm. I made it about 90 miles when a guy in a Dodge pickup pulled out in front of me and I couldn't stop in time. I did managed to get slowed down significantly to where our collision was likely between 15-25 mph. He pulled out from a cross road intending to go the same direction I was traveling. I saw it happening and was on the brakes and moving to my right. I typically ride in the left 3rd of the lane and the impact happened in the right 3rd of the lane. It was a glancing impact almost a side swipe. My left side impacted at the rear of the trucks cab. I want down on my left side.
I had just passed two ambulances assisting a motorist less than a 1/2 mile behind me so I knew help would be there quickly and it was. A gentleman traveling the opposite direction immediately parked his truck to protect me from other vehicles and came to my aid. He was at my side literally within seconds of me hitting the ground. He was active military and immediately started accessing me. Fortunately my only injury was a very sore leg (I assume impact with the truck and my fuel tank and foot floor board.
The guy that hit me stopped, several witnessed stopped and helped and law and aid were there very quickly. All in all, it could have been SO MUCH WORSE. I ride AGATT and it paid big time. I literally have no scrapes, cuts, abrasions. I have a huge bruise and that's about it.
My gear saved my bacon from a whole lot of road rash. My helmet saved my noggin. After replaying it in my head over and over I think I did a good job. I saw him coming, I hit the brakes and I moved right. I anticipated him pulling out and was watching. He started to move and then stopped. I thought I was in the clear and he wasn't going to go. I took my attention off of the truck and back onto the two cars that pulled out from where the truck was sitting. When I looked back toward the truck it was almost in my lane. The driver of the truck chose to not use the "merge lane" and came all the way into my lane. It happened very fast.
Anyhow, I am good. the bike was rideable and I rode it another 20 miles to the ferry where my wife picked me up and trailered it home. I'm sore and bruised up but I'm good.
The bike is OK too. Its got a lot of road rash but nothing that can't be fixed. I'd guess 3-4k in damage. Mostly cosmetic.
Life is good, God is good!

Tharin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:17 AM

Garage
So glad to hear you are OK, that's the main thing. Proper gear works, and you help prove it. It's encouraging that people stopped to assist. Now days it seems at times most people only worry about themselves. Hopefully you soreness will soon be gone. Keep us informed on the cosmetic issues once you access further.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:34 PM
KCW

Garage
Tharin

you did all the right things: esp

you were wearing all your gear on a long road trip

you were riding defensively and expecting people to do the stupid things people do

Im sure you will go over it again many times in your head.

I would suggest maybe two things, maybe you could have steered around him instead of full on braking, or some of both.

The other thing I would suggest is dont try to guess what the other guy is thinking or doing, or going to do. Treat every vehicle as if it is mysteriously driving around by itself at random. As long as its pointed across your path, and would be able to accelerate infront of you, then be ready for it.

Im glad you posted about this. Driving to work almost everyday I see someone coming up on a cross street too fast, faster than I would be going if I was going to stop. Normally they do stop, often they stop way past the stop line leaving no margin for error, and no opportunity for me to judge if they are going to stand on the brake, or blow thru the stop sign. So at least once a day Im slowing down as a precaution, and most of the time it was not necessary.

But I do it any way, and I will keep doing it, and your accident is the reason why. There have been several times when the other person was pulling out, and I stopped completely, then laid on the horn.

Its kinda annoying having to ride around feeling like a sacrifice tied to a moving altar, knowing anyone could take you out - but thats the deal

and I love to ride, so its the price of being in the game.

Last edited by KCW; 06-23-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:36 PM

Yes, not really anything else you can do.

I'm still attempting to get used to these florida people. Always driving down the wrong way on the road, one way enterances and exits. on and off ramps, and driving randomly across the middle grass.

Never had issues with people driving the wrong way in maryland, except when there was a foot or more of snow.
Keith Post likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:39 PM

Garage
Glad it turned out as well as it did for you
Keith Post likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
Good to hear you weren't seriously injured and that the people stopped to help (especially the other driver). I'm sorry it happened to you but hopefully your story will show others how fast it can happen and that wearing all your gear, all the time can save a lot of injuries, even your life.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Garage
Cross roads, lane merges, &/or intersections, I believe, are where our highest probability of getting into an accident is.

Glad things were not as bad as they could have been. Also, glad you paying 99% attention to everything.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdk View Post
Yes, not really anything else you can do.

I'm still attempting to get used to these florida people. Always driving down the wrong way on the road, one way enterances and exits. on and off ramps, and driving randomly across the middle grass.

Never had issues with people driving the wrong way in maryland, except when there was a foot or more of snow.
There’s a reason we in other states call them “Floridiots”!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for sharing
Keith Post likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:13 AM

Garage
Tharin im so glad it wasn’t any worse for you and your bike. You kept your wits about you and you are here to tell us about it. I hope you heal up quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode