Looking for earplugs/hearing protection - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Looking for earplugs/hearing protection

Anyone here from the Bay Area who knows an audiologist? I'm trying to find a cheaper deal on custom fitted earplugs. I've tried earplugs from FortNine's video and they all didn't work because of my weird angled and narrow ear canals. Hope you guys can help me even if the location's too specific. I already talked to a couple of audiologists and they're pretty expensive($500-$800 range).

Thank you in advance!
Keith Post and Scrumdown like this.

Hello, Beastie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:57 PM

Garage
Tractor Supply, one bucket of about a hundred of those little soft, red and yellow, foam plugs is about $15. Twist and roll in your thumb and forefinger to make it skinny and pointy...my right ear canal goes backwards! They fit fine - I keep a bunch in my coat, on my bike, in all of my gun cases...
Audiologist are not covered by my insurance...I guess they're not "real" doctors according to HEALTH NEW ENGLAND...

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:58 PM
KCW

Garage
something that came up a few years ago, which I did not know

when you put foam earplugs in your ear, you have to hold them in place for about a minute with your finger, while it expands to match the shape of your ear

if you dont, it pushes itself out while it expands, and does not seal completely

when they are in right you really notice, its like you have your fingers in your ears

Ive been using them for years and never knew about holding them for 1 minute - big improvement
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Earplugs for motorcycle riding

Do you guys wear earplugs?

I really need a pair because I was recently diagnosed with mild tinnitus and mild hyperacusis(noise sensitivity). Was not a fan of off-the-shelf earplugs because I have narrow ear canals that makes wearing a pair painful and uncomfortable. Any recommendation or suggestion? Should I buy custom molded ones?

Thank you in advance!
Keith Post and YammyV like this.

Hello, Beastie.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
Emily I purchased Hock ear plugs a few years ago but still use them. They are custom made and I was satisfied with cost, etc. You can find the site on the internet.
Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV
Keith Post and EmRach199 like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YammyV View Post
Emily I purchased Hock ear plugs a few years ago but still use them. They are custom made and I was satisfied with cost, etc. You can find the site on the internet.
Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV
Thanks YammyV, I thought my post got deleted because I can't find it earlier. Will check them out. I hope they work out for me.

Ride safely.
Keith Post likes this.

Hello, Beastie.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:30 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmRach199 View Post
Do you guys wear earplugs? ..
When I first started riding 6 years ago I wore earplugs a few times on my Vstar 650 - mostly while taking longer road trips.

Noise causes fatigue and wears you out. A good set of foam plugs really cuts down the wind noise. My bike is factory-stock, so the exhaust is not loud.

I noticed at 60mph with ear plugs I can just barely hear the horn on my own motorcycle. I beeped it at some birds in the road ahead, at first I thought it was not working.

That concerns me, that my hearing is reduced by ear plugs so much that I can barely hear a horn 4 feet from my helmet. Being able to hear other vehicles around you is necessary.

Like most things on a motorcycle its a trade-off. Long rides at 80mph with (or without?) a windshield I would wear them. Riding around town at 45mph: no. Two lane country roads at 60mph: no.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
something that came up a few years ago, which I did not know...
Also, the solid colors, the green and the blaze orange are much firmer than the the two color, soft foam. I buy the yellow and red at T.S. The firmer plugs hurt my ears, and it's like pulling a cork to get them out; that also lends to fatigue The softer plugs expand a bit more slowly, seem to provide the same level of protection, but I forget that they are in my ear. As you suggest, holding them in place for just a bit is key.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:55 PM

I use Mack’s Ultra Soft and order them from Amazoon. Good stuff to shove into your ear canals.
Keith Post and tgmotoman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode