Unique bike tools - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unique bike tools

The purpose of this thread is to list tools that are needed to work on a motorcycle. There are unique tools to make simple tasks on a motorcycle easier to accomplish. The right tool and techniques make the soooo much easier. Yes, someone could read the owners and repair manual and get a pretty good idea, but first hand experience is best in my opinion. So please post your experience with tools you use, why and best techniques.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll start with the simple task of taking a screw out. Looks like a phillips head so you reach for one. You go to turn and it slips. You push down a little harder and turn again. After a few more tries the slots are now rounded. You now can't get it off, it's stripped. Might get lucky with vise grips on the head. But NO. Not you try to drill it out. OK, this is working. It's a small screw and you are using a small bit. You almost got it, snap, the bit breaks in the screw, way in there. You get a bigger bit. Some time later the hole is now totally messed up, no threads left. Now you have to Heli coil the hole. Now this simple task of taking a screw out has turned into an all day job. Yes, this actually happens a lot. That's experience speaking. So now let's look at the problem, it's a JIS head not a phillips. Looks at the example below to tell the difference. At times even with the correct JIS screw driver it's still hard to get out. A steel screw in alloy (aluminum) will corrode over time. Penetration oil is your friend. Another thing I'll do is hit the head of the screw driver down to help the penetration oil in. Another tool to take screws out is a hand held impact wrench, Just make sure it has a JIS bit if needed.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Garage
When i was last inside the bike (ohhhh sounds so dirty ), and needed to adjust the TPS, I encountered the security torx screw and had to run out and buy a set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72542_3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	84868  

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

The sun's shining, the birds are chirping; it's a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:54 AM
KCW

Garage
Les, you know what Im going to say (no.. not seafoam).

Its not a tool unique to motorcycles, but motorcycles are often the first time a person with mechanical experience starts working on a machine where most of the steel bolts and threads are screwed into aluminum.

Its important to tighten up steel-into-aluminum bolts and fasteners correctly, and the only way to do that is with a torque wrench.

Here is the reason: when you tighten a steel bolt into a steel case or frame by hand, it will spin freely all the way in, then get snug, then get tight, and unless you are a gorilla you can crank on it hard and it wont strip out the threads in the case.

Aluminum is not like that, it will start getting snug, and then tight, and then you will be turning the wrench and its not getting any tighter, because you are pulling the threads out of the case, and now you have damaged the case and it will take hours to repair, and maybe hundreds of dollars. The hands on experience you have from turning bolts into a steel case WILL strip out the threads into an aluminum case.

Its easy to find the yamaha factory service manual for vstar bike online as a free (scanned) download, and they contain all the torque specs for every fastener and nut on the bike.

A 3/8" torque wrench that goes up to about 80 ft-pounds should be all you need for most work. A 1/4" drive torque wrench good for 20 to 30 ft-lbs would be nice for smaller allen head bolts (like the covers over the oil filter and other access plates. Use it for everything: the oil drain plug, spark plugs, axle nuts - every fastener on your motorbike needs to be correctly torqued, because your life depends on it.

Again: its not a motorcycle specific tool, but it is a necessary motorcycle tool.

The one tool that is perfect for its job usually comes with the yamaha tool kit, hidden in the storage compartment if your bike has one: the spanner for adjusting the monoshock. If you dont have the spanner, nothing else comes even close.

Last edited by KCW; 07-25-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
KCW, when I started this thread the first thing I thought about was a torque wrench. But I knew you would jump in. So I started with tools needed to take things off. Please add to the list and maybe between the few that will contribute we can cover most tools and techniques needed to help someone not have a major headache later.
KCW and Deeksvstarclassic like this.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Les, you know what Im going to say (no.. not seafoam
I've used seaform as a penetrating oil before, works pretty good. So I guess it counts in this thread too.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:55 AM
KCW

Garage
I was thinking more that a tank of fresh gas with seafoam is the 'tool' to use if the bike is running rough, before you start taking the carbs apart.

there are a lot of fuel / oil / coolant.. additives that make a lot of claims, and most of them are bull...

but if you have a bike running poorly because of old gummy gas, Seafoam really does have a good chance of being all you need.
lesblank and JonMaz2112 like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:12 AM

Lately it seems like most places have gone with a modified JIS driver and just call it a universial driver.

Ive been using the dewalt maxfit bits for all my jis screws and haven't had any issues, even with hard to remove carbs.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-j...rivers-review/

Seems even the JIS producers no longer make JIS drivers.
stratsurvivor likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:29 AM

Garage
My most useful unexpected tool is beer. It makes me think a lot clearer.
It sure makes my classic gleam.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Now how do you get a screw out in a really tight place. On the 1100 headlight trim ring screws are difficult to take out with certain driving light bars. I have a small ratcheting screwdriver that works great. There are many places on the bike like this so make life easier and so maybe look at getting a set. You have to take those two screws out to change the headlight bulb.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode