We are dinosaurs - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Poser View Post
KCW, I agree completely. I couldn't ride a sport bike if I wanted to. Staying leaned over like that for 10 minutes and my old arthritic back would probably snap in the middle.
It's just sad to see such an icon slowly dwindle away.
Well, the good news is that not all sportbikes are "lay-down-over-the-tank" bikes these days. Although I am as old as dirt and truly love riding my V-Star Custom, I also love riding my Honda CB500FA, which is arguably classed as a "naked sportbike", (or "roadster" or "streetfighter") but with a very upright seating position, and with comfortably high handlebars... which is why I bought it. ("naked" simply means that the motor is exposed, rather than hidden behind fairings) I require a natural upright riding position due to my ongoing spinal issues, (permanently damaged/crushed upper vertebrae... C1-C6) and both bikes have almost the very same seating position, with the only real difference being that the footpegs are placed way forward on the V-Star, and farther back inline with my butt, on the Honda. Buy hey, if this old geezer with his messed up spine can still ride a "sportbike" like this, then anyone can! You actually do sit upright like a real human being!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

My "sporty" naked roadster, the very comfy Honda CB500FA!

Even though I am sitting quite far back in this shot, I am still very much upright!

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:09 AM

Here is a good visual demonstration of the seating position on my Honda "sportbike" versus your typical "supersport", (aka "crotch rocket") thanks to this useful Motorcycle Ergonomics Simulator at cycle-ergo.com.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

A 5'-10" rider sitting on my bike

The same 5'-10" rider sitting on a typical "sportbike"

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:52 AM

Garage
It's pretty clear why Yamaha (and most other manufacturers) are getting out of the cruiser market. They're in business to sell bikes and if they aren't selling, they get phased out. Sport bikes will always have a niche with the younger market. The trend today has shifted from cruisers to adventure touring, or the larger touring market (Goldwing, SVTC). I had a sport bike when I was younger and I had a lot of fun on it. There is certainly something to be said for the nimble handling and plenty of get up and go on tap at almost any speed. But I'm in my mid 50s now and I no longer desire that kind of ride. I'm really loving my cruiser, and that's what I'll be on until I can't ride anymore. Like Hank Jr said, "I'm a dinosaur; shoulda died out a long time before"...but I'm still here, and I'll be riding my dinosaur cruiser for (hopefully) many years to come.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
I like the ride of the cruiser. I have had my share of performance cars and I got that out of my system long ago. There is something to be said for a nice leisurely ride through the countryside. Although the crack of the throttle and going through the gears is fun it just aint as fun as it used to be! Plus bent over and face first into the bugs....Nah...Not for me...

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

I guess age changes everything !

When I was young, I liked loud exhaust pipes. Today I can't stand them on an auto. I like my cars quiet and comfortable.

I like the low rumble and growl on a bike exhaust but it don't need to be loud.

Hickory North Carolina
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Poser View Post
I guess age changes everything !

When I was young, I liked loud exhaust pipes. Today I can't stand them on an auto. I like my cars quiet and comfortable.

I like the low rumble and growl on a bike exhaust but it don't need to be loud.
I never appreciated loud pipes until i had them. VTX had Vance&Hines long shots (loud barky cracky). The classic has cobras on that i like as well. I like the classic it is like me lower rumble. When i said Hybrid i meant bikes like Camper's honda
Keith Post likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
A neighbor sold a fairly new harley and bought a BMW 1250 RT. He much preferred the upright position. He's 20 years younger than me. I bumped into people on the road riding 1 or 2 up and they swore by it. I sat a few and thought about giving it a shot but (1) price (2) reliability (3) contentment with my 950 won out pretty easily. I like the feet forward, low seat position. It required tip toes to touch the ground on that beemer. That's a deal breaker for me.

I gotta admit I did like the way the various windscreens and fairings high and low work on those bikes. I think about adding some deflectors to the 950 now and then, but mainly when it's cold or wet.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:10 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird58 View Post
... Although the crack of the throttle and going through the gears is fun it just aint as fun as it used to be! .....
my base model royal star is 74HP and will go 130mph - if you get on it, 60mph in about 3 seconds in 3rd gear.

The CB500F is 50HP and tops out at 116

you dont have to give up performance to ride a cruiser bike
Keith Post and stratsurvivor like this.
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:49 AM

Garage
Guess I’m obsolete as I like cruisers also.

Thing that concerns me the most, replacement parts availability. How much longer will Yamaha support the vx1900 series biles (Raider, Roadliner, Stratoliner)? I just purchased a 07 Roadliner with 1300 miles, want to keep it for a long time. Considered a used HD, big draw for them is the large quality of aftermarket & OEM parts.

Another bike I’ve considered is a GoldWing. Reliable, good for & built to go 200k. Would like to see the GW available as a sport touring & cruiser modular bile. Would be nice to switch between the two in one bike.

Last edited by Bent-1; 08-02-2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:09 PM

Garage
Part of the reason I love my cruiser is the big double thumper that powers it. Nothing like the sound and feel of it chugging away, stretching my arms out on take off and settling into a comfortable lope at 80mp/h on the highway. You can have the high revving sport bikes - nothing beats the torque and rumble of a big v twin.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode