We are dinosaurs - Page 3 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
Part of the reason I love my cruiser is the big double thumper that powers it. Nothing like the sound and feel of it chugging away, stretching my arms out on take off and settling into a comfortable lope at 80mp/h on the highway. You can have the high revving sport bikes - nothing beats the torque and rumble of a big v twin.
So True.

Sport bikes sound a lot like these small import cars that kids mod out.
They both sound like a constipated cat.

Hickory North Carolina
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:22 PM

Garage
I remember as a kid growing up in SoCal how cool the guys on cruisers looked going down the freeway. The Indian Chieftain was my favorite back then. Not a care in the world, just cruising around the valley and stopping to eat along the PCH.
Now Iím an old geezer and still love cruisers, I donít think the feeling ever goes away. Iíll take being a dinosaur if it means riding with my wife, the grandkids, or even a neighbor, and just getting away from it all feeling the fresh air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:43 PM

Garage
I will ride with any one at any time. No matter what they ride. If they are too slow i will just wait up.I have a friend that i have rode with that has a scooter.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:39 AM
KCW

Garage
We are dinosaurs?!

no

we are stardust
we are golden

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Apparently none of you old dinosaurs are willing to admit that not all sportbikes sound like constipated cats/small import cars, nor do they all require you to lay down over the tank, or otherwise feel terribly uncomfortable to ride. No, it's not true that all "sporty" bikes will make your arthritic back snap in the middle, (OK sure, mine has snapped everywhere else, but not in the middle!) Well, I have heard that it's hard to teach an old dinosaur new tricks, but jeez, you guys are a tough sell... you're really dug in!

I explained in an earlier post that I chose my 2014 Honda CB500FA for its completely relaxed, natural upright seating position, and pointed out that not all so-called "sportbikes" are uncomfortable, and I even added some visual aids to back up my statement... seating position diagrams from cycle-ergo.com that show my Honda with a 5'-10" rider sitting quite upright and comfy. Yup, a similar position to when I throw a leg over my V-Star Custom.

Sorry, but that's all I've got. This crippled-up old guy is about to go out for a spin on his V-Star, followed by an equally comfy ride on his "sporty-bike". Wish me luck that my spine won't snap... again! Oh, and did I mention that my "spine-crusher" can travel a whopping 84 miles on an Imperial gallon of fuel? (=70mpg in US gallons)

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Garage
I am not saying there is anything wrong with sport bikes. I know there are different levels. Some ride up some down. I do know that some are categorized as cruisers so you save on insurance. I am old and don't need the excessive hp. I need more of an excessive stool softener.

post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Hey Camperbc
I'm glad you like your sport bike. I don't dislike them in any way. They are just not an option for me.
I'm sure your sport bike doesn't sound like a constipated cat. (Probably more like a fish farting under water)
Please don't take me seriously !!

BTW: beautiful pic with both of your bikes.

Hickory North Carolina
2012 V Star 950 Tourer

Last edited by Authentic Poser; 08-05-2019 at 11:16 AM.
post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeksvstarclassic View Post
I am not saying there is anything wrong with sport bikes. I know there are different levels. Some ride up some down. I do know that some are categorized as cruisers so you save on insurance. I am old and don't need the excessive hp. I need more of an excessive stool softener.
Hey, I just so happen to have the inside "poop" on an affordable source for quality stool softeners!! Have your people call my people.

BTW, the Honda CB500FA would be a poor choice for the horsepower crowd, as it puts out a modest 47HP... not much different from my 650 V-Star. But having said that, when you want some spirited accelleration/speed, this bike provides more GPM (grins per mile) than most anything else in its class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Poser View Post
Hey Camperbc
I'm glad you like your sport bike. I don't dislike them in any way. They are just not an option for me.
I'm sure your sport bike doesn't sound like a constipated cat. (Probably more like a fish farting under water) Please don't take me seriously !! BTW: beautiful pic with both of your bikes.
Actually, it sounds more like a very refined (and quiet!) sewing machine. (hmmm, come to think of it, it is kinda what I would expect a fish fart to sound like!) In any case, a very quiet bike... my wife never hears me pulling right up to the back door!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:31 PM

Garage
I would have my people call your people but i don't think the US wants affordable health care.
stratsurvivor likes this.

post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:34 PM

Garage
Oh trust me, we pay. By waiting 12 + hours in emergency for anything that isn't life threatening. Bring a lunch.
stratsurvivor likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode