We are dinosaurs - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

We are dinosaurs

This was a quote from another topic here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRien07 View Post
You know I have heard that same thing that Yamaha is getting out of the Cruser business and that the sells of the VTC are not good, but honestly, the only place that I have been able to confirm this is from the forums, when I talk to the dealers, they are selling them just fine and most cannot keep them in stock according to them. And when I read the big bike touring blogs and articles they all rave over the bike the complaints we all know and have posted here are so trivial that they would not stop them from purchasing the bike. Yamaha's sales are increasing every year over Harley, and others that make the same type of bikes, so why do we keep hearing that sales are sluggish, that Yamaha is getting out of the cruiser market?
And now we hear that they stand behind their products past the warranty period, why would anyone buy anything but the VTC?

I know that the Cruiser market is the largest here in the US but why would this affect the overall sales of the bike? It's not like a company has never built something for a specific market before right?
I recently started riding again. When shopping for a bike, I looked at new and used.
If you look on Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda's website you start seeing a pattern. Compare the cruiser bikes offered today vs 5 years ago. There's a huge difference.

Unfortunately Cruiser bikes are a dying breed.
The younger generation seems to have little interest in them. The few that are interested seem to gravitate toward Harleys (no matter that they cost 3 times as much). Harleys sales are down now and they recently came out with an electric bike. They've seen the writing on the wall.

I bet if you were able to poll all members here you would see the average age is probably in the 60's.
Most younger folks like the sport bikes.. I'm usually in Myrtle Beach SC around Memorial Day & that is when they host sport bikes one week & the next is cruiser bike week. Cruisers are mostly like me: glasses, gray hair, or no hair. Sport riders rarely look older than 30.

My local dealer sells Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. They have a pretty big facility. When I stopped by they had a total of 3 new cruiser bikes. One was a 2017 and the other two were 2018's. The rest were sport or dirt bikes.

Also if you look at new cruisers (like the bolt) they are mostly all blackout. I know some of you like this but it is more appealing to the younger riders. Most of the avitars and folks who show their garage here on the forum, have shiny paint & chrome on their bikes.

I hate to say it but it appears we are dinosaurs.

Hickory North Carolina
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
Yep that is what I am seeing with some of my co workers. Selling off their sport bikes not even looking at cruisers. But I was young and dumb once....Now...just dumb.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:25 PM

Garage
I used to have a VTX 1800 and they stopped making them. Like all the others i guess. I am almost your average 60 and wouldn't be caught dead on a sport bike. I know a lot of people riding hybrids like the vmax. I don't need use or want all that power. My VTX @105hp i never had over 70mph. I tell you the vmax does scoot though. I wonder if it has everything to do with the extreme world we live in now. Harley are posting low profits. (I only mention that because i am in Milwaukee and it is a barometer of bike business).
I will never get rid of my cruiser.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird58 View Post
Yep that is what I am seeing with some of my co workers. Selling off their sport bikes not even looking at cruisers. But I was young and dumb once....Now...just dumb.
I was young once also. Now i am old and dumb - but still good looking!

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeksvstarclassic View Post
I used to have a VTX 1800 and they stopped making them. Like all the others i guess. I am almost your average 60 and wouldn't be caught dead on a sport bike. I know a lot of people riding hybrids like the vmax. I don't need use or want all that power. My VTX @105hp i never had over 70mph. I tell you the vmax does scoot though. I wonder if it has everything to do with the extreme world we live in now. Harley are posting low profits. (I only mention that because i am in Milwaukee and it is a barometer of bike business).
I will never get rid of my cruiser.
I was thinking the same thing. If you like your bike, better take care of it and hold onto it.
Keith Post and Redbird58 like this.

Hickory North Carolina
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Poser View Post

I bet if you were able to poll all members here you would see the average age is probably in the 60's.
We have a poll right here:

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Keith Post and Redbird58 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:46 PM
KCW

Garage
I have two great Vstar bikes that will most likely last me the rest of my life.

I dont care what anyone else rides.
I dont care what anyone else thinks.

When Im 84, if Im riding the last Yamaha Royal Star V4 on Earth, that will be fine with me.

Last edited by KCW; 08-01-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

KCW, I agree completely.

I couldn't ride a sport bike if I wanted to. Staying leaned over like that for 10 minutes and my old arthritic back would probably snap in the middle.

It's just sad to see such an icon slowly dwindle away.

Hickory North Carolina
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:56 PM
KCW

Garage
I laugh everytime I see a 20 yr old kid on a street racing bike

in his shorts with sneakers the same color as the bike

after 20 minutes his right hand is reached out on the throttle, he is sorta trying to sit up straight, left hand on his thigh elbow pointed out, his back is killing him...

I call it "the pose"
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:58 PM

Garage
Authentic, you have nailed it, I think.

I'm a dinosaur. Younger guys get sport bikes and rip it. Older guys cruise. I don't mind, that's what I did. I just wish there had been enough business for the vstar line to remain profitable for yamaha and in production. I'm partly to blame. Why would I trade my 2010 ninefiddy for a new one? It's got everything I need. Yamaha could have gone the Detroit route and built in some obsolescence or a limited life span or something, but they built the best bike they could. They succeeded.

Of the respondents in the table:
70%+ over 40.
52% over 50.
25%+ over 60.

Under 30: < 7%.

Didn't drag out the adding machine -- and its very anecdotal (155 voting) -- but that's fairly accurate.
Over half of us are over 50.

I'm in my sixties now, but when I was a teen I got a used kawasaki 350 avenger. If cruisers existed, I didn't know about it, but that wouldn't have made any difference. When I was 17 that avenger was a hot rod. And reasonable.

The 550-4 honda I bought in '73 (while in the service) wasn't exactly a cruiser, but wasn't exactly a hot rod either and the same thing applies. Didn't know from cruisers, doubt it would have mattered. I needed a ride for cash on hand.

40 years later when I decided to ride again, I didn't consider anything else. Cruiser all the way. Or tourer -- whatever the vstars are classified as. Like KCW, don't care what anyone else is doing, my bike fits me and my riding style and I don't see that changing. 15 years from now I hope (1) I haven't achieved room temperature and (2) I'm still riding this bike.

Maybe a 1300. Nah. 950. Well, maybe. Nah.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode