Cornering - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 AM
KCW

Garage
Redbird, I agree 100% about farting around with scraping

Its good to practice panic stopping and swerving around points in the road everyday when there is no one behind you, so you have a well developed reflex to avoid accidents

practicing turning to the point of just starting to scrape, and then backing off is also good. When you need to execute the escape path in traffic, or to miss a deer, you need to know the limit,

or you will be one of those guys saying "A deer jumped out, and I had to lay it down" because he leaned it too far onto the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:59 AM

Garage
I worry about deer around here more than anything. Especially on my way home from work at 11pm. The good news is i am only going 40mph. I have heard if you are going to hit one hit the center. I don't know if that is a great idea but at lower speeds it may be a functional idea.
Any thoughts?

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 AM

Garage
I do practice in parking lots especially since the riding season where I am from is relatively short in comparison to some other areas of the country. It does my confidence good to shake off the rust after long periods of not riding. I am just not one to lean it over during cornering to the point of scraping as a part of my ride.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Hickory North Carolina
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:49 PM

Garage
Guess I meet explanation in the video above. I do know this road pretty well and doing around 60 plus in 35-45 MPH listed speed suggestion. I looked pretty close and only found one time I had to do a mid corner correction.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U38HS4k5B3t23FH9A

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:34 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeksvstarclassic View Post
...if you are going to hit deer hit the center. .
I would be either swerving or on the brakes with everything I had - to hit the deer in the center you have to aim into it - if you have time to do that, aim away from it.

We have deer hits here in upstate NY. When Im riding the factor for me is how far back the brush and trees are cleared from the sides of the roads. On the thruway its clear about 50 yards - you have plenty of time to see animals, even at night (glowing green eyes).

Some of the roads on my commute have foliage 3 feet from the edge of the pavement. Im as close to the centerline as I can be, and not quite hitting 40mph in those few sections.

The sales guy I bought all my riding gear from hit a deer. He was going 55mph, does not know how much the brakes slowed him down. He went over the handlebars and got to ride the slide. Got up bruised, all his gear looked like he was attacked with an angle grinder, including the whole one side of his full face helmet.

He got up with bruises but no injuries. The deer was killed.

There is a memorial on one of my favorite roads for an older guy who hit a deer on his harley. He died.

So... sometimes your skills and gear save you, and sometimes there is nothing you can do.

But thats how life is for everyone.

Last edited by KCW; 08-07-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:13 AM

I'm a bit of a fan of knowing my limitations on my bikes. Making sparks fly is just a bonus
Seriously though, any time I get a new bike, I have to know I can dip and recover so I test it out on low/no traffic curves to make sure I don't have doubts during regular rides
KCW and Deeksvstarclassic like this.

===========
- Wendy
I'm not my avatar, unless I need to be
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:02 AM

Confuscious says: go around curve too fast, wind up with hole in as.. !
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

Hickory North Carolina
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:51 AM

Garage
I had the same issue with my 650 when I first started riding again. Totally unexpected since I wasn't riding aggressively and it spooked the crap out of me. Plus that's a really loud and expensive sounding noise coming from an unexpected direction.

Anyway, the general consensus here was very helpful to me. Basically: "Get used to it." Go someplace where you can do it intentionally until you get used to the noise. The board flexes, the pads that scrape are replaceable. Unless you are really throwing your bike into a hard curve and hitting the board really hard, you shouldn't need to worry about it. Practice a bit. It's kinda cool when it stops bothering you.

I rarely scrape the 950 any more, but when I do it is no longer the nerve shattering experience it was at first.
bevo1981 likes this.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode