How do you use your motorcycle? - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
View Poll Results: How do you use your motorcycle?
Don't ride it, sits in garage 0 0%
Trailer to shows only 0 0%
Ride to shows only 0 0%
Sunshiny weekends only, bikes never been wet 3 12.50%
Weekends only, OK to possibly get wet 5 20.83%
Commute to work on pretty days 2 8.33%
Commute to work if streets are dry leaving home 11 45.83%
Commute to work 100% of time 0 0%
Only own a bike 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:44 PM

Garage
For us , Monica will ride to work and ride weekends with family/friends and for a charity ride and for just getting away from it all.
For me, Iím semi retired, I wonít ride to work because Iím in uniform and with all the gear im 27.8 heavier. Thereís times where itís simply too hot to be relaxing such as right now. Im more a Spring and Fall rider. When the leaves change and itís in the 50ís, im on my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:29 PM

I try to ride to work more days than I drive in. Go for 3/5. Thatís my target ratio. Good rain chances, I cage it. Do ride all year round, though, down to freezing. Iíll take 32 over 102 any day...
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:32 AM

I ride purely for pleasure. Try to ride at least 2 - 3 days per week, more if time & weather allow.
I'm definitely a fair weather rider. No riding in the rain unless I get caught. December the bike goes into hibernation with me.
Keith Post and lesblank like this.

Hickory North Carolina
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
Unfortunately it won't be long before I'll have to park her for the winter...sigh.
BUMMER! Wow. About when do you have to put it away?

Cold weather isn't even on the horizon here. My truck told me it was 101F in the shade yesterday. Looking forward to some football weather -- BUT NOT WINTER.

BTW, my situation isn't one of the options. No job. I ride whenever I don't have to haul someone or something or if it's too damn hot. Also don't like riding the big city roads when wet. Spooky enough when dry.

Ok, sometimes I ride when it's too damn hot. I usually regret it. I got stuck in freeway traffic recently on one of those 100 degree afternoons. Hot, hot, hot. Hot pavement. Hot sun. Hot exhausts all around me. Hot vstar between the knees. Stop and go. Stop and go. Feathering the clutch or walking the bike constantly. I avoid that whenever possible.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Last edited by graybeard; 08-18-2019 at 05:47 PM.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:55 PM

Garage
I take the star every chance i get. I do have rain gear and don't mind riding in the rain. But i hate having to take the time to re-polish it. The last 8 weeks i used 1/2 tank in my truck. Had to put $20 in it because i didn't want the gas to go bad. Usually get it out by st patty's day once salt is washed off the roads. Usually gets put away a week before thanksgiving. i have ridden in as low as 25*. That was with my vtx with injection but a don't believe the star will be any different.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Pat View Post
The last time I owned a car was 2002. I am so glad I got Cherry now If they have to keep The Strat waiting for parts I don't have to rent a car.
Y Pat, U da MAN!

I have just had a couple of short term periods where I only had a bike and those weren't too bad, but I was young.

For about 6 months when I was in high school I commuted to the next town for school and work, 20 mi. round trip. Mostly fun. At my last duty station in the AF I had only a bike for about 6 months, 1975. Hauling groceries and laundry and a 60 mile round trip commute to work in winter was rough, but it all got done. One 600 mile round trip for 4 week school. Rained on me most of the way there. I fell asleep once on the way home. I was wide awake the rest of the way.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:34 PM

From 1998 to 2007 the only thing I owned was my zx11. Rain, snow, everything I road in, tried not to ride in ice though.

Now I ride every change I get, but due to the kids, and the 2yr old, it's limited, but every time I can I do.
The 2yr old loves to ride on the dirtbike with me though, she begs to go out on it.

I have never owned rain gear though. I just get wet, then try off quick enough it doesn't really matter. The only issue I have had with rain is if I drive through a puddle deep enough to get water down the top of my boots.
Keith Post, lesblank and graybeard like this.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:22 PM

Garage
I try to ride whenever possible, I don't like riding in the rain at all. This year has been terrible, raining all the time here. My drive is only 7 minutes to work so I don't get to put a lot of miles on the bike. My days off are wed, Thur, and Sunday. And Sunday is spent with the family. The annual bike rally is coming up next month so I do take off work all 4 days for that. I'm usually lucky to ride 1000 miles a year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
lesblank likes this.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeksvstarclassic View Post
Had to put $20 in it because i didn't want the gas to go bad. .
Was that 20 real dollars or those virtual dollars you guys use up dere, eh?

I been learning to speak Canadian in case I have to make a run from the authorities. Oh wait. You're in packer country. But you speak Canadian, right? So 20 real dollars?
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

Last edited by graybeard; 08-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Was that 20 real dollars or those virtual dollars you guys use up dere, eh?

I been learning to speak Canadian in case I have to make a run from the authorities. Oh wait. You're in packer country. But you speak Canadian, right? So 20 real dollars?
We have updated to wooden nickles

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode