How do you use your motorcycle? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
View Poll Results: How do you use your motorcycle?
Don't ride it, sits in garage 0 0%
Trailer to shows only 0 0%
Ride to shows only 0 0%
Sunshiny weekends only, bikes never been wet 2 11.11%
Weekends only, OK to possibly get wet 1 5.56%
Commute to work on pretty days 2 11.11%
Commute to work if streets are dry leaving home 11 61.11%
Commute to work 100% of time 0 0%
Only own a bike 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
There are many ways people use their motorcycle, from fair weather weekend warrior to die hard only have a motorcycle riders. Not saying any response makes you more of a "Biker" than another, juscurious. Which are you?

I'll start. My rule is if I get to work dry, I ride. Yes, I have a rainsuit but prefer not to take the time to waterproof myself, I leave for work at 5am. Winter time I layer up. Summer time is the roughest time due to heat.
graybeard likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by bevo1981; 08-15-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:26 PM

Garage
I am a fair weather guy. I carry my laptop with me that has all of my work stuff on it. If it gets too wet it could cause me more trouble to try and reclaim it. Sure I can leave it at work if the weather is too bad but sometimes I do need to do the old work from home thing...So it is better to be safe than sorry in my case. I do have a trash bag in the saddlebags if I get caught out by a surprise storm but sometimes finding a safe place to pull over could take miles...so I would say I really prefer sunny and warm...
lesblank and graybeard like this.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:28 PM

Garage
I ride most of the time, pretty much like lesblank. If I can get to work dry I ride, not to worried about getting wet after work. Living in Texas I can pretty much ride year round to.
lesblank and Redbird58 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:07 PM

I ride every chance I can. But I also have a car. Right now, until I get heated gear, that means when it's dry(ish) and 45 or over when I walk out the door.

I do want to add these weasley words though. This is the Rookie method. Not by far the "right" nor only method. If I see you doing you, I'll wave.
lesblank likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:41 PM

Garage
I used to ride to work only on nice days but this year I started riding every day, rain or shine. If it's pouring really hard (bouncing off the pavement hard) in the am I'll probably take the car, but with my rain suit I don't mind a little rain and my commute is only 10 minutes so not a big deal. I usually just pull on my rain pants and the windshield keeps the rest of me dry enough. Except for a family trip last weekend I haven't driven a car for over a month. Actually, my son's car is broken down so he's been using mine to go to work so I've been riding everywhere. Unfortunately it won't be long before I'll have to park her for the winter...sigh.
lesblank, graybeard and Cliffieg like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:42 PM

The last time I owned a car was 2002. I am so glad I got Cherry now If they have to keep The Strat waiting for parts I don't have to rent a car.
lesblank, KCW, graybeard and 1 others like this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Pat View Post
The last time I owned a car was 2002. I am so glad I got Cherry now If they have to keep The Strat waiting for parts I don't have to rent a car.
From 1973 to 1988 I only owned a bike. My wife always had one but I didn't. I remember once I had to put her car in the shop and taking the boys to school one at a time, remember I have 4 sons, then take the wife to work. That was a long morning, but everyone made it on time. Then one time when I got her a new car I kept her old one for such emergencies.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:25 PM

I was torn between Only on pretty weekends, and Commute on pretty days. Only because I work at home, so commuting is not part of my day.

Ride in my spare time, would be more accurate in my life.

And I'll add this, if you have to work for a living, working from home is about the best thing EVER!

Please, call me Bill.
2005 V-star Classic 1100
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:30 PM

When I retired my wife and I got rid of the car, All we have are the bikes now, I am picking the 2006 Strat I bought in Daytona next week. Then we will have a 650 Classic and the Stratoliner.
This is nothing new to me , but the wife is getting used to it.

US Navy, ' 75- '85
'03 VStar 650 Classic
'06 Stratoliner
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:40 PM

Garage
I ride to work as long as the rain percentage is 50% & below.
I get to ride 1 day out of the 8 weekend days. The other weekends I'm with the wife & kid. So, its cage time.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!

Last edited by Scrumdown; 08-15-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in