Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Question for Photographers

5K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  camperbc 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I hope all is well in your own particular corners of the world.
So once upon a time, when I was a young Rooklet, I learned photography on an old Nikon film camera. I got pretty darn good at it too. I still enjoy it very much. I never could afford the latest and greatest, but my current DSLR has still spoiled me for smartphone cameras. So for anything more than a snap from the hip spur of the moment shot, it's a dedicated camera for me. And it'll be riding with me on my '09 V Star 1300t.

Currently (for the past few years) it's a Pentax rig with various glass ranging from antique store vintage to modern marvels. One of the reasons I went with this brand is Pentax's second best selling feature is the ruggedness of the cameras.

I have to admit I've missed each and every single shot on each and every single motorcycle trip. Why, you ask? Because my camera gear is sitting safely on the shelf back at home.

With all that mess out of the way, here's my question. How do I take my standard quality pics on motorcycle trips? Perhaps I'm more worried than I should be about vibrations? Perhaps I should look more at a decent point and shoot? Perhaps I should put together a small travel kit of smaller and cheaper glass? Perhaps I should go nuts with padding on a small bag?

Perhaps a better question would be how do you take pics on your trips?

Thanks everyone!

See less See more
#3 ·
Might depend on what kind of luggage you have on your bike. If you have soft saddle bags, yeah you might be overthinking the vibration issue. A soft camera case, or even a padded case to include your favorite lens or two, in a soft bag, I don't think would be harmed by vibration.

I am also spoiled by my digital SLR (Nikon D5300 for me), but I still rely on my favorite point and shoot for more vacation and travel pics. I have an older Nikon Coolpix, and it rarely disappoints, for what it is. Pics go to online storage, and that's about the only place they are ever viewed. Not going to be enlarging or printing though. Stuffing that thing in a pocket means it is protected, always there when the perfect vista presents itself, and cheap enough I could buy one every year if I had to. I don't have to, because this one is about 10 years old, scratched, plating is worn off the plastic body, a key or coin or something recently left an abrasion on the LCD viewfinder, and heck it still works as good as ever.

This coming from a formerly serious photographer, formally educated in a former life, but now a reformed point and shooter. Mostly.

#4 · (Edited)
ditto the Nikon Coolpix type of pocket camera

the only thing I dont like about them, if you want to do something unusual, like take a 30 second exposure at night, you have to click thru a bunch of menu crap, they dont have enough knobs to just twist and shoot.

you can get one with a 10: 1 optical zoom easily, I dont even know what the CCD resolutions are up to these days - will have to look next time im at walmart

I started 40 years ago with Pentax SLRs, only because Sears sold a starter package with a body and two lenses that used Pentax mounts, so I started collecting lenses and have a nice set.

Got a pentax digital SLR body years ago, I think its 10Mpixel that uses the same format lenses, but it increases the focal length by 50% or something around there.

Would never carry all that on a motorcycle, I cant think of any photo that would be worth risking losing all that gear, Its taken my entire life to accumulate it.

There is a Nikon camera I saw a year ago, looks like a full size SLR with a 30:1 optical zoom (approx). Was looking at it at Best Buy, and noticed it has a large lens on the front like an older SLR would have, but its only a dust cover. The optical lens inside that is the size of a dime. So it has a fake lens body to make it look traditional. No sale.

#5 ·
One other thought that came to mind - I think the issue that is bigger than vibration, is dust. It's impossible to keep it out of an SLR. I have had to get an SLR professionally cleaned before, and it isn't something you want your camera to experience if you can avoid the problem.

One of my other hobbies, before motorcycles, is riding around the desert in my old Jeep. Out here we are blessed with millions of miles of desert public land. I do take my SLR, because the scenery can be unbelievably beautiful. But that dust is a killer if you don't take care to protect your photo gear. Not quite as big an issue on a cruiser bike maybe.

#6 ·
^Zip Lock quart bags :^)

Reactions: bpounds
#7 ·
I thought I might have been overthinking the vibrations. And I've seen some wonderful, um, fixed lens cameras. Much to evolved to call point and shoot. But those cost money. I've a hard time justifying $400+ on a P&S. Dust, that's the bane of photography outside a studio. With decent equipment for lenses and dust removal systems on the body, and not wasting time swapping out lenses, a lot of it is handled.

I think a good padded bag strapped to the sissy bar might just do it. I keep the passenger seat, so that would probably help the vibrations some. Good padding around the lenses not mounted. Hmmm.

Of course, now it's a different hunt. Good lenses to take. But that's a different subject for a different time. GAS, probably the second most fun condition I suffer from.

#8 ·
I take a lot of pictures to share with family and friends with my phone but definitely not gallery quality. Actually I'll mirror them to my TV and they look pretty good. You are definitely in a major league compared to my meger attempt. Have you thought about a back back. I've carried a lot of electronics in my back pack without any issues. Just a thought.

Reactions: bpounds
#9 ·
#10 ·
#11 ·
was wondering, if I got that nikon B500 with the 40x optical zoom and 16M pixel CCD

what could I use to look at the photos in full resolution?!

#12 ·
--

Several things to know. Where are you riding when you use your camera? How much time do you have to set up for shots? Where will your photos be seen?

First I'll note that most of the currently made point and shoots (even those well under $200.) will produce better photos than cameras twenty years ago. Second, those photos that need a little touch up can be adjusted with a computer photo app to give some pretty good results (unless you are going real professional).

I have posted over 900 photos on a the website motorcycleroads.com to accompany the scenes seen as riding along the roadway and while sitting on the bike. So for me and the type of usage I need, here's what I do.

I have an idea of what type of scene I want to show and when I see a good example, stop immediately on the road, turn off the engine, pull my Nikon D90 hanging around my neck from inside the front of my jacket, shoot the photo, replace in jacket, start engine and take off. I can usually do all this within one minute, but the trick is to not be where a cage will come up behind me as I have never enough time to get out of the way. This won't be the same quality as if on a tripod and with some special lens, but then considering it is only going to be seen on computer screens, it's plenty good enough. Here are some examples:

De Beque Cuttoff - 45.5 Road photo: for 5032 | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

(Note a few of these photos are not mine as will say underneath.)

I keep in my saddlebag an older p & s to use as a backup if necessary. If I were riding in dusty country or off road, I would just keep the open camera in a jacket pocket. Vibration won't be a factor.

--

#15 ·
#13 ·
I have a Nikon Coolpix l820 and a Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS point and shoot and have taken great pictures of everything from the eclipse to nature. I've been happy with both. I got the canon for something to put in my pocket just for ease of use. I think it will come in handy for the Scavenger Hunt.

#14 ·
--

The ELPH 190 is a camera with everything. Only wish it were water/dust proof. That's what I would get if I were replacing my D90 with something cheaper for every day shots.

--

#16 ·
RonK, great pictures. Viewing on my tablet the resolution and color contrast are really nice. Hopefully @camperbc will chime in as to what works for him, he's posted some outstanding photos.

#17 ·
Thanks everyone for all your help. Several good points raised. But I want to quickly address one first. Pounds, you're right in that I didn't ask for recommendations. BUT taking about cameras is never a discussion I'll run screaming from. Hearing other ideas, other methods, other equipment, that's never a bad thing.

How much rings will I have to set up shots? As much time as it takes to get it. I've never timed myself. I'll look at the scene and set it up in my head as I'm pulling out gear and swapping lenses. Snap about 5 pics with different f stops, shutter speeds, and focus. One of them should nail it.

I've enough grey and thinning hair to have learned my hobby on film. Back in the days where every click cost $0.45. (Gotta buy the film then develop it.) And my old man (ironically the same one who inadvertently got my happy caboose on a Star) would not be happy paying (twice) for oops.

I like M mode. I like the process of setting up the shot. I kinda dig being "smarter" than the camera, if that makes sense. At least something with the PASM dial for subject isolation or to blur speed. But they have those features in higher end P&S machines.

Maybe that camera is a good idea anyways. Wouldn't be the worst thing to have a second backup that has a sensor 4X as big as my Samsung Galaxy riding in my jacket.

#18 ·
Just spit-balling here, but I think a serious photographer who works from a motorcycle, could rig up a pretty sweet trunk case with all of the photography gear protected safely. I'm thinking one of those aluminum sided hard cases, modified to be a trunk bag attached to a cargo rack. Harbor Freight sells those cases pretty cheap, and you fit them with foam inserts any way you want to fit your gear. A guy could pull over and hop off, and have a camera out and deployed super fast. Even a quality tripod would be pretty easy to rig up. The sky is the limit on how much you can spend on those hard side cases.

Of course, I don't know what kind of luggage your 1300 has now. It might end up looking like one of those BMW adventure touring bikes, which to me look very utilitarian, but not so sexy.

#20 ·
So for me, for right now, I am padding up a leather bag to hold my camera and 2 other lenses (plus a battery, memory card, lens cleaning kit, all the goodies) and that will ride on the passenger seat. Along with padded cases for the individual lenses. When the Minister of Finance allows a new camera, I'll get an advanced point and shoot that'll travel in my jacket pocket.

#21 ·
Serious nature/landscape/portraiture photographer and avid collector here. I am all over the board when it comes to my photography. I currently own four very nice Sony Alpha-series DSLRs, (including the A200, A500, A550, and SLT-A57) and a multitude of Sony, vintage Minolta Maxxum, and Samyang prime glass. I also remain an serious film shooter, (I must be old as dirt!) and own/use about sixty pristine vintage/antique cameras, some of which date back more than a century. And lately, (are you sitting down?) I have been taking a surprising number of photographs using a smartphone, I kid you not!

Now, you must understand that I very rarely use a cellphone for making/receiving calls; (and I have never sent a text in my life!) the sole purpose for my owning a cellphone was in case I ran into some trouble while out riding. I had the same (basically unused) phone for the past 7 or 8 years, then last spring I began researching the new flagship phone entries for 2019, as I had learned that their included camera sensors/improved tech/"AI", etc have indeed come a very long way over the past year or so. I ended up purchasing Xiaomi's new "Mi 9" phone a few months ago, and although I was expecting to see some pretty nice results from its incredible array of four high-quality cameras, (including the main shooter which features a lovely 48MP Sony sensor) I was truly stunned to see what this phone can do. Now, I can assure you that I won't be parting with any of my DSLR equipment anytime soon, nor my collection of vintage gear, but I gotta say that I am having an absolute blast with this amazing phone, and it has only increased my desire to get back outdoors and take more photos!

For the past five years that I've been out riding around my little island paradise in the North Atlantic, it has normally involved strapping my 24 liter "Cortech 2.0" tail bag onto the rear fender, filled with at least three DSLRs, (saves changing lenses all the time!) and other necessary bits and pieces of gear. But lately I find that I am leaving the expensive stuff at home more often than not, and just sticking my phone in my pocket, and I'm good to go!

I am extremely pleased with the results I am seeing from the Mi 9, and I think that most people might just assume that I am still shooting with my Sony gear. I am an old, set-in-my-ways dinosaur, so I usually end up shocking some folks when I confess that I'm out photographing this island using a mere smartphone. But, yeah, it really is right up there in image quality, and as I needed a new phone anyway, it made more sense for me, than investing in a small point-and-shoot camera. The biggest problem I've had though, since joining this fine forum years ago, has been that this website renders its posted images poorly. So regardless of what I shoot with, on here the pictures will always look subpar, until you click on the actual image itself, which should link you to the pic's host site. So, not only does this site post photos in a too-small size, but the heavy-handed compression can make them look rather bland. (click on one of my photos below, and you should be able to view it in a larger size, and also much clearer/sharper)

Attached, are a few late-evening captures from my scenic ride around the island last night. These photographs were all shot handheld in extremely low light, using just my phone, and with no editing done to them, except to resize. My Sony Alpha gear must be feeling a bit left out in recent weeks, but this phone is working extremely well for me for most situations!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

I could have sat here forever, admiring the view!

Traditional Newfoundland "salt box" houses, old timber wharves and fishing stages

An old fishing stage (used for processing/storing the catch-of-the-day) in the nearby village of Deep Bay

I rode out onto the town wharf in the village of Deep Bay to get this sunset shot

Taken earlier in the day, some well-heeled guests have arrived at the world-class, ultra-exclusive Fogo Island Inn

#22 · (Edited)
OK, just one more cellphone pic for good measure! This is the road leading to our oceanfront home in the little fishing village of Island Harbour, (population ~120) on Fogo Island's western shore... we live about 200 yards from this exact spot. FYI, the yellow traditional Newfoundland "salt box" house in the photo is well over 150 years old, and the two fishing stages have been sitting there for a century, having withstood countless hurricanes/blizzards over the years. As you can well imagine, Fogo Island's scenic/winding coastal roads during the summer months are an absolute delight for any motorcyclist!
(click on image for a larger/clearer view)

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.