Testing brakes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By Codylane999
  • 1 Post By lesblank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Testing brakes

I was seeing how much force i could apply to rear brakes and when i give it a lot of pressure i feel a clunk underneath the bike. Is this from the rear tire breaking traction? It feels like something is hitting metal on metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:34 AM

Garage
Sounds like something is loose, very unsafe! First I would check the tightness of the caliper bolts. Then check that the pad shims which keep the pads in place, number 9 in picture, are there. Then I would check tightness of all swingarm nuts and bolts. Clucking noises on braking is not a good thing, immediate attention for safety concerns. Post back results. Be safe.

bevo1981 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 AM
KCW

Garage
I take it you are talking about your Vstar 1300? I know you were working on a 650 for a while, which has drum brakes that could be loose for other reasons.

Have you tried sitting in neutral, putting the rear brake on and rocking the bike to see if any brake parts are moving?

I agree with Les, dont ride the bike till you figure this out.

And if you are testing while riding have to remind everyone: if you lock up the rear brake you have to keep it locked till the bike comes to a complete stop - if you let off while the rear tire has skidded out sideways even a little bit it will snap straight so hard it will throw you off the bike.

its the opposite of the front brake, if you lock the front brake release it instantly or the front will slide out and you go over the handlebars
if you lock the rear brake keep it locked and steer into the skid (hopefully you will not skid into anything) until you stop, or it will throw you off the bike.

one other thought: if you lock up the rear brake with the clutch engaged (not pulled it) it will stall the engine and make horrible sounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Its my 1300. Rebuilding carb on 650. Yeah i cant make it happen while rocking bike stationary no matter how hard i try. Could it be an engine mount/bracket loose causing a shift? I havent checked swingarm but brakes/calipers arent loose. It only happens with sudden heavy rear brake with NO front brake (something id never normally do)
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:13 AM
KCW

Garage
when you step on the rear brake it changes the force on the entire rear wheel suspension from the tire pushing the swing arm forward to propel the bike, to pulling the swing arm back

that is quite a bit of force when you really get on the brake, so it could be anything in the rear suspension loose with slack that only clunks from one side to the other under a considerable amount of force

it could also be the wheel on the axle
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:39 PM

Garage
Also check shock bushings. A loose shock mounting bolt or bushing could cause a metal to metal clunk.
KCW likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:56 PM
KCW

Garage
and make sure your battery is not flopping around...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode