Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

What is "Top Tier" fuel? Why it is important to your engine.

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  vanderlinden_j 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
More and more companies have become certified as top tier fuel suppliers so there is no excuse not to use top tier fuel anymore.

Top-tier gas is not the highest number on the fuel pump, but rather it is gas manipulated with additives and detergents to help your engine run more smoothly.

What Is Top-Tier Gas?

Most people tend to look at fuel prices first when they choose a gas station for a fill-up. Or drivers simply go to the station that's most convenient at the time. However, some automakers and plenty of experts recommend filling at stations that sell top-tier gas.

It's commonly believed that all brands of gas are more or less the same. This is partially true. All gas is refined in the same way and it comes from crude oil. Gas in the U.S. is required to include certain additives to keep engines clean.

However, the top-tier gas brands do more than just the minimum requirements set by the EPA. Top-tier gas meets the more stringent standards set by some of the top automakers. It's a trademarked name that is derived from a program started in 2004. It was then that several automakers were concerned that EPA standards weren't strong enough to protect their new high-tech engines. Top-tier gas uses a number of approved additives to reduce engine deposits and sticky valves.

What stations can you purchase top tier fuel from:

How To Recognize Top Tier Gas Stations

There are a large number of well-known gas retailers that sell top-tier gas, including over 50 brands. You can recognize individual stations that sell top-tier fuel by the trademarked logo. A list of brands selling top tier fuel includes:

Aloha Petroleum
Amoco
ARCO
Beacon
BP
Break Time
Cenex
Chevron
CITGO
Conoco
Co-op
Costco
CountryMark
Diamond Shamrock
Entec
Esso
Express
Exxon
Holiday
Kwik Star Stores
Kwik Trip
Mahalo
MFA,
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Petro-Canada
Phillips 66
PUMA
QT
Quik Trip
Road Ranger
Shamrock
Shell / Shell V-Power
Sinclair Standard
SuperAmerica
SuperFuels
Tempo
Texaco
Tri-Par
Valero
Remember that using top-tier gas has nothing to do with the octane ratings. If a station sells top-tier gas, then all of its gas grades should be top-tier quality.

https://www.autolist.com/guides/top-tier-gas

Remember that more companies are becoming top tier so check lists, here is another list with some additional companies added to it.

https://clark.com/cars/top-tier-gas-stations-clean-engine-aaa/

They also show a comparison of valves using non top tier fuel and top tier fuel vs a new valve, if that does not convince you to use top tier fuel then there is no converting you.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
They also show a comparison of valves using non top tier fuel and top tier fuel vs a new valve, if that does not convince you to use top tier fuel then there is no converting you.
I’ve seen this before and it’s enough for anyone who cares about their engine to make sure and use “top tier” fuels.
I was NOT aware the list was so long though. I had thought it was limited to about 6 Major name brands. That makes me feel a bit better about availability when out on a cross country or multi state ride.
Thank you for that info Bill!

#5 ·
My SVTC has had a random backfire since the first week I had it. (2000 miles) I ran an entire can of seafoam through it about 1000 miles ago. I have not had a backfire. I'm not ready to say seafoam corrected it because it did not do it often but am beginning to think it is cured. I am thinking a top-tier gas will keep everything clean and hopefully keep the backfiring from returning.

#10 ·
I can officially say that Seafoam will NOT stop the random Backfire that some are having with their big Yamaha. Neither will top tier fuel. I had my random Backfire this morning. I have had nothing but top tier fuel the last 10 tanks or so since I ran a can of Seafoam through.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
My opinion is, any rating list that puts ARCO in the same category as Chevron/BP or Exxon/Mobil is a joke.

And yes, I hate ARCO stations and am unabashed about it.

#8 ·
My point, based on personal experience with Arco gas, and opinions shared by fleet mechanic friends, is that Arco gas is far from the equivalent of those other brand names. I know one fleet that forbids their drivers from purchasing Arco. Which tells me the metrics used to qualify as top tier are pretty low standards. And around here, Arco is the low price leader, and you get what you pay for in fuel products just like anything else.

Put another way, there are zero gas stations around me that are NOT on the top tier list you posted. So if the list includes damned near everyone, is it really a meaningful list? Or is it just another way to pull a pay-off out of petroleum companies?

I hate even driving by some of their local in-town Arco stations too, but that's a different matter. Some of the large stations along the interstate look pretty large and nice.

#9 ·
There are plenty of stations that are not top tier, WAWA, un branded 7-Eleven, unbranded Circle K, pretty much any mom and pop station. there are lots more stations that are not top tier certified.

And no the requirements are not low to be rated top tier.

#16 ·
Most dealers will not adjust the mix at least mine won't , the only yamaha dealer near me will not do any aftermarket add on that would require adjustments but mine is carbed so I have air fuel screws if I remember correctly injected bikes are somewhat self adjusting as far as the fuel I get my fuel pretty much from 1 company which is Conoco which is top tier here plus I only run non-ethanol gas as well and I still get random pops but ive got a hyper charger and after market pipes.

#17 ·
Many years ago I was at a tune-up class with Champion and the instructor took a glass tube with stoppers and a super ball. He put a stopper in one end then he took an eyedropper with gas, first 87 octane with the super ball and a stopper. He shuck up the tube and ball then had a helper remove the bottom stopper and put a match to the tube. Bang went the gas mixture and half of the tube was wet and the rest was dry. He did the same thing with the 92 octane and after the mixture was lite it was all dry. The 87 left moisture in the combustion chamber from and incomplete burn where the 92 had a complete burn with no moisture left. This was done before they started adding additives. I had one trucker tell me it all depends on what company gets gas and what packet of additives the truck gets. Unless you tear your engine down a lot you will not know what is going on inside and what gas is best..
If you run your engine too lean you will hurt the life of the engine. Either side of balanced could get you a popping exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.