Which V Star? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Which V Star?

Coming from a BMW and looking for middleweight two up tourer. Yamaha has created a lot of confusion with the 950 (light bike, fuel injected), 1100 carbs with a shaft??? 1300, big, injected, shafted...

I'm looking for guidance and being unfamiliar with Yamaha cruisers, the above confounds me. Guidance appreciated ( I don't like vibration!)

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

i own the 950 and it has more power and accelleration than you would expect from a middleweight. and with its light weight and low center of gravity, it's incredibly nimble. but if you specifically want a tourer, you'd probably want the extra 30 cubic inches that come with the 1300 if that bike is already in your crosshairs as well. with the larger gas tank but less miles/gallon than the 950, your millege per tank is going to be about the same as the 950.

i wouldn't consider the 1100 at all. the bike's design is the same one they've been using for a decade. it's old and tired. not much power increase over the 950, and i'd rather have EFI than carb. its shaft drive means a slight loss of horsepower verses the belt drive that the 950 and 1300 incorporate.

haven't been on the 1300 myself, and i freaking love my 950, but if i primarily wanted something for weekend trips then i would be looking at the 1300 over the other 2 you're looking at.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 AM

I have an 1100 Silverado and am Very happy with it, it may be "old and tired" in design, but maybe because I'm old and tired it fits me so well, I love the 1100, but as a post by linerdave says, you get what you want, because it is what you want. The guys that run 950 and 1300's really like them too. I think it is a personal choice, to me, they all are good, they all have + and -.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Just the stuff I was looking for, thanks. The big discounts are on the 1100 and it's pretty clear why. My other big issue, why do these bikes vibrate so much. The 950T's floorboards vibrated so much I would have to stop every 45 minutes to rest my (our) feet. By the way, the 950 seat is the worst I've been on; but, it's a great bike. As far as the wife and I can see, it's a throw away to make room for a mustang. Harley even makes non-vibrators. A good vibrator is not my target in this search. Oh yea and regarding the age of the bike, all my beemer buddies are looking for older bikes. The old bikes can be worked on at home, the new bikes go to the stealership. My 1998 beemer is still a keeper, I love that bike and it's 1998 character (plus the inevitable upgrades). Thanks again, I need the guidance.

Last edited by chuck75; 02-14-2010 at 10:17 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:37 PM

My limited experience, after riding since may. I got a used 2000 vstar 1100 custom, i have put over 2000 miles on it , have had zero problems, limited vibration, runs ok on highway, it has been right for me . i have taken it out in winter and had fun, in fact i just got back from a ride, temp was in 30s, i had to be careful though with all the salt and gravel around, plus the melting ice put a lot of water on the road, a good training ride. It isnt a high HP bike but is low and reliable, i like it so far. The important thing is that you find something you like to ride and can handle you really cant go wrong too much with any of the bikes mentioned. enjoy and ride safely, good to hear from you.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM

To each his own

Chuck,
I had an 1100 V Star and have a 1900 Stratoliner. Ride about 12,000 miles a year. Vibration has never been a problem. Never felt like my feet or hands were numb. Posture is more of a factor than vibration. The new bikes have less vibration with duel counter balancing. I love the V Twin sound and feel. I often ride 500 to 600 miles a day on a trip. (Gets harder as my age goes up.) Easy Rider and Bronson did not have a Beemer. (Just kidding.) But you did way over state several facts.

That said If you are looking for a 100% vibration free touring bike then a V Twin of any kind may not be the bike for you. You may want to look into an Yamaha FJR, Or a Honda ST 1300. A Venture or Goldwing if you are willing to spend the money.

Dave
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear 06 View Post
I have an 1100 Silverado and am Very happy with it, it may be "old and tired" in design, but maybe because I'm old and tired it fits me so well, I love the 1100, but as a post by linerdave says, you get what you want, because it is what you want. The guys that run 950 and 1300's really like them too. I think it is a personal choice, to me, they all are good, they all have + and -.
Sometimes an old and tired design can be a good thing. On another yamaha forum I frequent people are boasting of 650's and 1100's with over 100k on them. Too early to tell on the 950.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Which V Star

Whoa! I never overstated anything. I have experience on Harleys that don't vibrate excessively, Suzuki and Honda's in the 1100cc and up range and I tested the 950T before it got dark and the dealer closed. I liked the 950T; but, the floorboards vibrated so radically, I would pass on that bike for that reason. The dealer says they just don't know and Yamaha customer service says it's the V twin experience and people like it. Sorry; but, I do know enough that I think it's a 950T problem or that 950T isn't set up correctly. I believe the next guy out on that bike will have the same complaint. Unless the dealer or Yamaha customer service can guide me, I'm moving on to an 1100 or 1300 or a Honda.

The reason for dumping the smooth beemer for a v twin is to gain a lower seat for the wife. As recent empty nesters, we want to tour two up (950) is probably too light for that, anyway. I'm not a v twin virgin.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Which V Star

On a 5 mile ride on the 950T, it was the best bike I have ridden. The vibrations are isolated from the seat and grips; but, there is a serious issue with the floor boards and I have not received a decent explanation as of today. Tomorrow may allow a test of the 1100 and 1300; so, we will see. I believe I am the only one to bring this issue up on a forum. Guidance and test riding will tell.

Chuck
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocomo View Post
Sometimes an old and tired design can be a good thing.
i was mostly referring to looks when mentioning the old design. they haven't changed the look of the bike at all, at least the profile view. i can't tell the difference between a '99 V Star 1100 and a '09 1100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode