Longest distance in a day - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Longest distance in a day

What is the longest distance anyone has gone in a day? I'm planning a trip for June and in order to meet up with my riding partner, I need to travel 900 km (550 miles) on the first day. The most I've gone up till now is 400 km. I plan to harden my backside with a few 500-600 km trips before I embark on my first real big trip. I love to ride but is this realistic?
Thanks, ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Long day

Stargazer,
I have on a few occasions riden 600 miles in a day. Of course I was beat at the end of the day. 500 miles is a full day. My first trip of this type was on an 1100 V Star, stock. I do it a little different than some. Rather than ride hard to get there as soon as possible. I stop often for very short stops. I keep a bottle of Gator Aid or Power Aid in the bike. A quick walk to get the blood back in my bottom, and a few drinks of liquid and back on the road. With the stops for gas and lunch this makes the day a lot easer but longer. I need gas every 150 miles so most of the stops are also for gas.

Don't know what kind of roads you are talking about but this was Interstate for me. 500 miles on secondary roads would be a really long day. Freeways are boring after a while.

Dave
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:13 PM

Anymore, 3-400 is as much as I want for 1 day. As Dave mentioned, the whole thing is your type of roads you will ride, I have done some 2-250 days that were a full day, but fun. I dislike and avoid interstates if at all possible. Many years ago I done 768 on an 750, would NEVER do that again, brutal. Much younger then, still tough ride, early morn till deep into the night. Don't bite off too much per day and enjoy the ride. Your 550 will be a full day even if you run the interstates, they are the only place you can avg 50 mph, and then it's gas and go only, it's not fun. ( the numbers are all miles, not km)

Ride Safe, Live Long

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 03-27-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: clarify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 PM

Hope you have a good seat. i only go about 100 and bottom out in about an hour. Enjoy and ride safely
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I guess my yearning to ride over the winter months has impaired my judgement. Maybe I need to re-think my plan. Once we met up in Detroit we were planning to ride north following the shore of Lake Huron to Sault Mich then back down the east shore of Lake Mich, averaging 350-400 miles a day. # days on secondary roads. It looked easy on paper. lol.
As for the seat, I just had it redone by "Spencer's seat Mods". Under a $100 and no more numb bum. Highly recommended.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I guess my yearning to ride over the winter months has impaired my judgement. Maybe I need to re-think my plan. Once we met up in Detroit we were planning to ride north following the shore of Lake Huron to Sault Mich then back down the east shore of Lake Mich, averaging 350-400 miles a day. # days on secondary roads. It looked easy on paper. lol.
As for the seat, I just had it redone by "Spencer's seat Mods". Under a $100 and no more numb bum. Highly recommended.
Sounds like you got a nice run planned, my brother and I were looking at that last year and may do it this summer. We (the posts) were just trying to make it real. Enjoy your trip, sounds like a fun time.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Hey Sugar Bear. I really appreciate all the advice and helping me keep it real and in perspective. This is my first long distance trip by bike. I just figured that 500 + miles on a bike would be the same as a car with a few more fuel stops. I didn't give any consideration to the elements, wind, noise etc.
Where abouts in Indiana are you. My buddy is coming up from Lafayette. I'm guessing a little north of you. We were thinking of a trip south next summer to ride the Dragon's Tail. Have you tried it?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 AM

Hi stargazer, I'm in the hill country of SO IN about 40-50 miles N of the river. A couple years or so ago we rode E to the Blue Ridge Pkwy and rode it S to the end, and then over to the Dragon's Tail, rode the Tail a couple times. I highly recommend the Blue Ridge run, if you like scenic slow riding,mountains ect. I met several riders from Canada on the Blue Ridge. Hope you get to take your South trip next year, I think you will really enjoy it.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 AM

I think I have done 450ish in a day. As stated above take short stops walk around. I stop for gas every 160 miles on mine definetly take a drink. Lucky you have saddlebags I hauled everthing for a weekend trip in a backpack...I need bags. Other than that have fun and be safe. Enjoy your trip.

Mike

2008 Vstar 1300
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 09:26 AM

I was never one to add up the miles, it was more the journey. But I do remember doing over 700 miles on my Sportster in one day and it was raining most of the way.

Funny thing, is that the longer I spend on the bike, the more I feel a part of it. Sort of a Zen thing I guess.

I have always bought in the philosophy that a biker will drive across town for a beer, and a motorcyclist will drive across the country for the same beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode