Motorcycle Jack Assistance - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to CaroleAnn
Motorcycle Jack Assistance

I have this jack. I don't understand how to use it. I can't figure out how to get it under the bike and then raise the bike without the bike falling over. It has a place for tie downs but that would be after I get the bike raised, corrrect? Can anyone help me out?

~Carole~
06 VStar 1100 Classic - Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM

For my Silverado at least, I put a 2x6 under the kickstand, and it slides right under. I worry,too, about falling over, it's never happened, be gental, I hang on to one grip, just in case, but it will level out and be solid when you get it up. Have fun Ride safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Tie downs

Caroleann,

I have a jack but have not used it much. I connected the tie downs to the two rubberized plates that the bike sits on. So the distance between the ends did not change. Not sure if this is correct, maybe the paper work will have some hints.

To tell you the truth I think the jack is a little scary. I use it to raise the bike only a small distance like to clean the wheels. To change the oil I use a three two by six's and lay on the floor. To cange the front tire I don't raise it very high. I have never raised it high enough to change the rear tire.

If you raise it very high be very carefull when you release the jack to come down. So that it comes down slow. Be aware the jack will keep the bike from falling left and right (When tied down.) but can tip over front to rear. Since the jack is not very wide in that direction. So if you jack up the bike and remove a wheel the weight change could cause the jack and bike to tip toward the other wheel.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to CaroleAnn
Linerdave,

Connecting the tie downs to the rubberized plates sounds like a good idea. I just don't see how I would connect them to the spots provided without a problem. The jack didn't come with paperwork or I wouldn't be quite so confused.

I don't plan on raising it very far, just enough to make oil changes easier. That's about all the maintenance I do on the bike besides washing it. I don't quite understand how you use the three 2x6's to change the oil. Can you elaborate?

Thanks for the help,
CaroleAnn

~Carole~
06 VStar 1100 Classic - Silverado
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:52 PM

Oil change

Carol ann,

I don't think you are alone on the jack. I don't feel confident I am doing it correctly either.

The rubberized plates on the jack have no hole for a connection but they are angle steel bars on my jack I just hook the straps to the edge in a spot where they don't get in the way. I have normaly been on the bike at start of raising or on the side opposite the side stand. So I could hold it up in case of trouble. Its a little scary as the bike stands up off the sidestand. When the bike is up ready to come off the floor. I get off and check the jack to see if it is in a good position on the bike. Install the straps and finish raising the bike. After a few tries you learn where to position the jack.

I cannot use the jack to change oil because it is in the way of the drain plugs on my bike. So I lay on the floor and get dirty. There is not much room to work so I gain another inch and a half by laying a set of 2X6 boards on the floor and pulling the tires up on them. I put another under the sidestand. Be sure the bike is in gear and cannot roll off the blocks and fall. Each board is about 18 inches long.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode