vstar 950, seat not comfortable - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

vstar 950, seat not comfortable

I have a beautiful, 2010 Vstar 950T. Almost perfect- except the seat was the only con in making my decision to get this one.. I am used to my 650 Silverado, saddle and I miss my CUSHY seat! I have never had to buy a new seat but this one has got to go. I ride less than 2hours and my butt is numb. If anyone has suggestions please fire away!

-Starstruck Girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM

Seats

Short of one of those expensive aftermarket seats. Here is a couple choices.

http://geezerglide.auto.officelive.com/default.aspx Custom seats.

http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index...&cPath=169_236

or lambs wool pad.

Dave
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 PM

I experienced similar discomfort on my '09. After looking into the options out there and even trying the bead rider seat cover, I opted for the Mustang seat with the integrated backrest. I must say I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Good luck with your decision.

Tony

09 V Star 950
Mustang Seat with Backrest
Kuryakyn Side Mount Tag Holder
Yamaha Rear Rack
2005 Kendon Triple Rail Stand Up Trailer with Rock Guard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM

I bought my 950 with the mustang seat and its good. Although the one I have kinda leans back. I saw one the other day that has the integrated backrest and it looked good. I still use an Air Hawk Air cushion for longer rides. Nothing beats air to me.
D

Star950Donna
Kurakyn iso grips
throttle controller
Big bar engine guards
Yamaha saddle bag guards
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 PM

I have a 2010 950T, but after riding it just about every day now
for a few hours a day or more I've gotten used to it, and
the seat dosent bother me like it did at first. So it's fine for me now.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:57 AM

TonyB has the right idea with the mustang. I first bought one for my '79 iron head which is a bike that will rattle you to the core, and it made a decent ride of it. i just put one on my 950 and i wouldnt trade it for anything.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Does anyone have any feedback on the Mustang Day Tripper for the 950??? Do a lot of riding with the wife and want a seat comfortable for both of us. My buddy has a mustang two piece for his warrior and I don't like how huge the passenger seat is. Takes away from the look of the bike.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:34 PM

Give the stock seat some time to break in.
My wife and I find the stock seat to be very comfortable. We got no problem with it. And I love the way it looks.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned

Sometimes it feels like motorcycle seats have been a long odyssey. On various bikes ranging from a Rebel to a Goldwing, I've used OEM, gel pads, beads, backrests, Airhawk (by the way it's for sale), sheepskin, and Mustang-- often several elements in combination.

What finally worked for me was the Ultimate seat, and I don't have to add sheepskin, backrest, or any other padding to it. Right out of the box it's the best I've used in almost 48 years of motorcycles. Had I been smart enough to have purchased it from the get-go, I could have saved money over all the Rube Goldberg contraptions (that didn't work) I bought over the years.

But Taboo is correct: new equipment takes time to break in, and derriere muscles take time to toughen up and adapt.

Good luck, eh?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 AM

Seats

Suds,

I see by you picture you are not new at riding, But some thoughts on seats. I do not have a Day tripper, I have a Mustang two peace seat. Mostly wanted it for the passenger seat. While the passenger seat is two inches wider and thicker than stock, that is want we wanted. As the wife would want to stop every 40 or 50 miles to rest. The after market seats have a better padding also slightly firmer to take up the weight without just collapsing to nothing. So the bigger look is just taken in stride. Floor boards helped for the wife also.

I was not unhappy with the stock rider seat although the Mustang seat is some better. It's better firmer padding and moving me forward a little helps. Posture is a big factor for riders on a cruiser. We lean forward slightly with arms apart in that cool Easy Rider, Bronson, Wild Hogs, look. The seat didn't do much for the cramps in my shoulders. I added an inch and half riser, moving the bars seven eights rearward.

The biggest thing for comfort has been just riding to toughen up. Often we see talk of a new seat at the beginning of the season or when someone gets a new bike. A few weeks of riding and a new seat and miracles have happened. I'm one that doesn't think those $500 seats get all the credit. Lambs wool or a bead seat can help that hot seat and riding can help the cramps. Would I buy another? Probably, but I have spent a lot of money on comfort including a trunk with a large back rest for the wife.

I drove through your area this spring on Rte 30 on the way to Dayton Ham Radio Convention. I live in a farming community just north of Warren. If you get over this way send a private message, we can have a cup of coffee.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode