What did you do to your bike today? - Page 322 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #3211 of 3218 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:59 AM

Garage
Great job. Now get some chrome cleaner and get rid of the rust. 😃

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3218 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:31 PM

I will confess, I enjoy riding more than cleaning.

I do need to brush the weld oxidation away and shoot a spot of paint on it.

Just got back from a ride. Wow, that little bit of change to the kickstand angle makes it SO much easier to kick.
lesblank likes this.

Please, call me Bill.
2005 V-star Classic 1100
post #3213 of 3218 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:54 PM
KCW

Garage
you welded a spot of metal to it so it wont close all the way?

looks like the kickstand switch has lots of range there on the UP rotation

I have found on both my bikes, putting the kickstand down changes a lot with what I have on my feet

with my riding boots I can catch both of them without looking and kick it all the way forward

the few times I have taken a short ride with running sneakers I had trouble catching the edge to get it started down, worse on the 650.

I went out a few times at night to duck walk the bike into the garage with moccasin (slippers) - really hard to get the stand down on the 650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3214 of 3218 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
you welded a spot of metal to it so it wont close all the way?
Yeah. The wiki has a modification where you drill & tap a screw to accomplish the same thing. The screw head just acting as a spacer. I just thought a spot of weld with the mig was easier, and easily ground off if for some reason I didn't like it.

Please, call me Bill.
2005 V-star Classic 1100
post #3215 of 3218 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

my replacement battery came with the polarities reversed. Shorai lets you choose which side the positive/negative to go on and they didn't send me one with what i had ordered last time. so instead of shipping it back and waiting for the correct one to come in and possibly paying for shipping or whatever mess i'd have to go through, i bought a couple 4 gauge wire extenders so i could connect the terminals after installing the battery in backwards to keep the polarities on the same side as before. for those who are squeamish with bad wiring, look away now. i have a few...accessories on my bike. the inside of my headlight bucket is much worse. made it work though. and i also wired my LED accent lighting kit to some wire that only turns on when i turn the key on to accessories. don't even know what it goes to, only know that it's impossible for my lights to accidentally come on now unless i've got the key in and turned. no more dead batteries for me!

lesblank likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3216 of 3218 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Garage
Hard to get depth perception in the photo but vibration might rub wire on right side next to metal battery connector. A piece of rubber tubing would isolate. On left side that appears to be exposed wire that you might want to cover. I've left simular wires like that and vibration moved the wire enough to short out. Just suggestions. Hope photo below helps to show what I'm talking about. Good job on additional light being key activated.

bevo1981 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3217 of 3218 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for the suggestions. the 4 gauge on the right actually isn't touching the terminal so it should be fine; they're touching about an inch away from the screw. i did wrap up the negative side with electrical tape which you can barely see in the bottom left. might do the same for the positive side as well.
lesblank likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3218 of 3218 (permalink) Old Today, 08:36 PM
KCW

Garage
I normally dont post in this thread just for an oil & filter change but....

I decided to switch my Vstar 650 from Walmart generic blue bottle $2.50 per quart 10W40 to Mobil One synthetic 10W40 (not the one in the motorcycle bottles for $2 more, the 5 gallon container for $22 at walmart in the car section). I made sure there were no mileage enhancers (bottom half of SAE lollypop is blank).

The bike just hit 43k miles and it was due for oil and filter change.

The real reason Im posting this breaking news is: the bike sounds quieter to me, esp when idling, it seems to be running smoother
and it actually does seem to shift easier.

Not that there was ever any problem shifting before.

Maybe its just the placebo effect from paying more than twice as much for Mobile 1 than the SuperTech walmart brand name stuff, but I think Im going to have to change the oil in my Royal Star now to Mobile 1 (early, its not due for a couple thousand miles) to see if it also runs better.

The last time I did an experiment like this was when I filled the 650 with ethanol free regular gas. It immediately seems to be running a little stronger which is not surprising, because removing the 10% ethanol will make the bike run a bit richer, but I got exactly the same fuel economy, so that might also have been purely the expectation of improvement influencing my subjective observations.

Last edited by KCW; Today at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode