2003 V Star 1100 improve performance - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

2003 V Star 1100 improve performance

Hi everyone. I just bought a used 2003 V Star 1100 Silverado that had only 3700 miles on it. So it obviously wasn't used much. It runs great but it seems the idle is very low. It dies out if I don't keep the choke at half way or keep on the throttle. I also would like louder pipes. How can I give it better performance? Is it best to replace the entire pipes? If so, which do you recommend?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 PM

A jet kit, free-flow air filter, and open pipes is probably the easiest thing. Made a world of difference in my '05 1100. No recommendations on pipes, I built my own....but that's just me, I'm a cheap "skate".(Was gonna use another word but since you're a lady)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 PM

Performance

For the slow idle check the throttle position sensor and the idle adjusting screw.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...FAQ-08.htm#TPS

There are lots of choices in exhaust out there. If you are going to make changes you probably should do them all at once because of rejeting. (If you change air flow through the engine you need to adjust fuel to correct fuel air ratio.) I would ride the bike for a while and decide what you want. Here is a site with lots of info.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB....htm#Making-HP

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 12:10 AM

I had an acquaintance who had one of those. My recollection is that he used slip ons and had it jetted. Ran very well and sounded quite nice. I don't recall the brand of slip on he used unfortunately.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead9 View Post
A jet kit, free-flow air filter, and open pipes is probably the easiest thing. Made a world of difference in my '05 1100
i did the same, didn't notice any thing but the loud ass sound.. no performance gain

Lowering the tone since 1969
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flush You Bastard View Post
i did the same, didn't notice any thing but the loud ass sound.. no performance gain
That kinda surprises me.....I definitely noticed a difference. The biggest thing I noticed was in stock form it sounded like it just had to go up into 5th at about 40-45 mph, but after the mods it didn't sound that way until about 50-55 mph. I did the Barons jet kit, pod filters and 1 3/4" exhaust with shorty muffs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellydancing Biker View Post
Hi everyone. I just bought a used 2003 V Star 1100 Silverado that had only 3700 miles on it. So it obviously wasn't used much. It runs great but it seems the idle is very low. It dies out if I don't keep the choke at half way or keep on the throttle. I also would like louder pipes. How can I give it better performance? Is it best to replace the entire pipes? If so, which do you recommend?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. :-)
I'd say the idle screw needs adjusting.
As for pipes, you can get a hole saw & cut out the final baffle in the exhaust, loads of youtube vids of the results & how-to's on teh internetz too. Cheap & easy, plus I think the stock exhaust look the best anyway!

Lowering the tone since 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode