Dead Horse with a twist? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Dead Horse with a twist?

I know we've all spent time talking about how many MPG our bikes get...but i have been looking at a comparison (that i don't find in the threads). I'm at:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...0/compare.aspx

I see the Raod Star at 102ci and the Roadliner at 113ci and under the same sircumstances the RL gets 42mpg and the RS gets 36mpg? WTF?

Would the difference in compression make that much of a difference?

I'm hoping to do some test riding soon, and if all works out well for me i may be parking another bike next to V-Star 1100

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyD View Post
RL gets 42mpg and the RS gets 36mpg? WTF?
I suspect the Black Cherry Liners' aluminum frame and better engine design result in a more efficient power-to-weight ratio, even though the Liners are about 50lb heavier overall. The 113 cu gets the mass rolling more quickly than the 102 cu.

(Disclaimer: blue/black/gray liners perform more on a par with the diminutive 102cu bikes--or even mopeds...)

But the real secret is the aerodynamically designed Liner taillights...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Banned

The 102cu.in. in the 620 pound road star warrior was impressive but I was getting slightly less MPG than the 113 c.i. Strato. I'd be interested if I could catch the warrior in a 1/4 mile sprint, I'm pretty certain the strato would be in the lead beyond that. I think the warrior's MPG was hurt a little bit due to the BAK and bumping up the fuel mixture above the lean factory settings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Are the transmissions/gear ratios the same? I'm sure compression has something to do with it (as fulltilt1 mentioned in another thread) I just didn't think it we be that pronounced.

...But the real secret is the aerodynamically designed Liner taillights... ?

Would that be along the same lines as blue bikes make you a better snipe hunter?

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 AM

I think i have been lied to. I thought the roadliner got like 29mpg and the 1300 star got about 49. I think i just decided what i will upgrade to later on
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyD View Post

...But the real secret is the aerodynamically designed Liner taillights... ?

Would that be along the same lines as blue bikes make you a better snipe hunter?

Dunno. My experience with blue glaciers is limited; you'd have to ask Wart about that
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 AM

Without knowing what conditions the bikes were tested under I've always taken manufacturer's MPG claims with a grain of salt. My Road Star (2009 EFI) has been getting 45-48mpg consistently which is actually a bit better than my previous V-Star 1100 (43mpg after pipes and jets). From comments I've read on the Road Star Clinic these numbers seem to be pretty common, not sure how Yamaha came up with 36mpg.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 PM

More power engine works less. I was out ridding with a buddy today he has a KLR650 I filled up my Vstar it took 13 bux his took 20 to go the same distance as me. When I owned the R1 and another buddy had the R6 same scenario.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Just to put another point on the subject of "power = poor fuel mileage"....

I have a 1969 Ford F100 'Ranger' truck. It's a swb with a 4sp toploader transmission (non over-drive). Under the hood hides a mildly overbuilt 428. The truck get's 21 in town and nearly 29 on the highway (If I act my age).

That's quite a bit better than these trucks got stock, even with a 240 six and 3sp + OD.

HOW???

She's built for torque! She (was, this was before the rear gear swap) put 578 HP down at the rear wheel on the dyno..... but 767 ftlbs of torque.

So how do you get mileage outta that???

If it's built for torque, gear it for torque! It's now got a 2.0:1 rear gear and the skinny pedal is for goofing off. I don't need to come close to revs to drive, just to play and well, I don't do that so much on the open road as I once did.

On the other hand, if I had an engine built for HP and low Tq, I'd have to run a taller gear set (lower ratio) to reach the useful "power band" of the engine for standard driving.

Sorry for the lecture, just can't believe how much common knowledge is lost to younger generations these days.

Another myth? ETOH runs fine and produces plenty of power (just turn the timing up to take advantage of it). LOL guess what line of "work" I come from. [DON'T GO RUINING YOUR CARBS, IT'S A 'JOKE']
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Garage
Well that beats my 72 f370's 6mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode