Screwed up! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Screwed up!

Was coming home from a 2000 mile-10 day trip yesterday. Was my first long ride. All went very well until I was about 8 miles from home. I was on the freeway, traffic heavy and faster than usual. I was in the fast lane and ran out of gas. I can tell you, now, this is something you need to think about and plan ahead for. What I should have done was immediately whip over to the left onto the narrow emergency lane, then switch to reserve and ease back into traffic. What I did was just to reach down and switch to reserve. Almost got rear-ended. Fortunately the lady behind me was paying attention or they would still be running over me. I am wondering what other emergency situations I should be aware of. Maybe we should have a section dedicated to these type of situations and how to be prepared to handle them ahead of time.
Dwight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM

Garage
O wouldn't say you screwed up, for it is part of riding. Be shore to reset the fuel valve back to run. It would be bad to forget and run out of gas Riders do it all the time. I ride in the left lane only to pass and when I'm close to RES and riding on the hi-way,I will reach for the fuel cock a few time. You made it home and that is what counts
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:08 PM

Farmalldanzil is right. I use the left lane only for passing and then get the hell out. I had a simalar experience. I was in the process of passing a simi truck on a two lane highway with the throttle opened. Right in the middle of the truck I caught the first sign of no gas. Believe me, it is no picnic trying to stop with oncoming traffic in your face. I used the oncoming traffic shoulder to stop and reset the reserve. The lessson for me fis not to ride closeto reserve. It is just as esay to ride the top half as the bottm.
Ride safe.

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Ditto Farmall and Madrugada,also it is wise to know your mpg and keep a good eye on where you are on total milage for that tank. Runnin out of gas will not happen if you stay aware and plan
Have fun, Ride Safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Determine the range of your bike. Reset the trip odometer after fueling. Refuel again before you get to your max range. Save reserve for emergencies.

FS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode