My first ride ever!!! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Talking My first ride ever!!!

Yay! Just logged my first 14 miles on the bike, just cruising around my neighborhood. What a blast! I stalled a lot, and forgot to cancel my turn signals, but otherwise all went very well. I like my bike (1999 vstar 650 classic)! It's easy to ride and it's running smoothly now that it's had a tuneup. It backfired only when I downshifted while revving the throttle - which I have figured out is a no no. If my hand is off the throttle while down shifting it purrs like a kitten. Still loud though yeeeee!!

I made it up through fourth gear, top speed about 35 mph.

Question -- do air-cooled engines mind if we ride around on them for hours and hours at very low (under 20 mph) speeds? Or will they get too hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsk8r View Post

Question -- do air-cooled engines mind if we ride around on them for hours and hours at very low (under 20 mph) speeds? Or will they get too hot?

Congratulations on the ride!

As long as you're not constantly slipping the clutch or lugging the engine, the bike won't mind slow speeds. Chances are you'll overheat before the powerplant does

If you're feathering the clutch a lot, you need to let the bike run a bit with the clutch fully engaged to allow the clutch plates and oil a chance to cool down a bit.

I operated a motorcycle 2 years on Bermuda where the island maximum speed limit is 20mph without any problems (except for the 30mph speeding ticket I got coming down Blue Hole Hill)

Enjoy your journey
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Congratulations on your ride!

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:42 PM

Garage
Welcome to the world of bikes and to this Forum also. Delete all thoughts of the turn signals for they will cut off after a short dist.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 PM

hope you have fun on your new ride.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:36 PM

Garage
Ain't ridding great? Just imagine the next ride when you go out; it's even better. Don't sweat the small stuff just don't forget it. I to am a neeew/old rider and I still ask myself why I waited so long to get back in the saddle.

Keep the rubber side down.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Excellent! I bought my very first bike (an '05 650) this spring and started riding it when the snow was still flying. I have 2000 miles on so far and I can't get enough.

Take a rider's course. Find the kind of helmet you like and wear it. Give a wave to anyone else on two wheels - we all appreciate it.

See you out there!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Congratulations on the ride!

As long as you're not constantly slipping the clutch or lugging the engine, the bike won't mind slow speeds. Chances are you'll overheat before the powerplant does

If you're feathering the clutch a lot, you need to let the bike run a bit with the clutch fully engaged to allow the clutch plates and oil a chance to cool down a bit.

I operated a motorcycle 2 years on Bermuda where the island maximum speed limit is 20mph without any problems (except for the 30mph speeding ticket I got coming down Blue Hole Hill)

Enjoy your journey
thanks for the reassurance springer. i've ridden twice more, and she seems to be fine at the slower speeds, as long as i include one refreshing faster road every 25 minutes or so. i've made it through my first stop lights, and onto some bigger back roads. still having so much fun! the next trip will be to the gas station for more fuel and some air in my front tire, which seems to have lost a couple pounds of pressure over the course of the week. slow leak?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Congratulations on your first ride . It sounds like it went a little smoother than my first ride. Picture if you will a first time rider just cruising down the street about 5 blocks from home and he comes to his first red light. Now picture a bee landing on his throttle hand and instinctively swats it away. You might ask yourself "how did he swat it away if 1 hand is on the throttle and 1 is on the clutch? Well I'll tell you how he did it, he let go of the clutch and the bike lurched forward into the intersection and flopped over on its side. Thankfully nobody ran me over and thankfully youtube did not exist.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Way to go sk8r, I'm happy for you.

Curious: did you go for the traditional post first ride meal of raw steak and warm Primo beer......?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode