Communication System - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Communication System

Ok so I looked at the thread and I appologize if I missed this topic already. I did find one from 2009 but the link was not available anymore.

We are planning on a 4 hour ride in a couple of weeks and then 12 hour ride in September. Since I am not on the back of his bike anymore we have discussed a communication system.

He found one that was blue tooth so we could both talk at the same time to each other. Not a walkie talkie type. We wear 1/2 helmets (although I am considering a full helmet for the long ride).

Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on any systems?

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 PM

Bluetooth

Newbie,

I bought a cheep set of two Bluetooth communicators on E Bay. They work well. in full face helmets. Not sure if you were to have open face helmet and at highway speed.

Also you said half helmet, my headsets mount to the inside of the helmet with Valcro in the ear cavity of the helmet. They must be over the ears.

The cast was less than a hundred dollars for two. Max range is 500 yards but reliable range is half that. Talk time on rechargeable battries is 7 hours. Each one will connect with two Bluetooth devices. Like partner and a cell phone. The michrophone is noise canceling to reduce noise. They were shipped from Taiwan, took about two weeks. Brand name is BT Multi-Interphone. I see several brands on E Bay.

I see many also satisfied with the slightly more expensive ones they bought here. I think the Bletooth intercoms work well but you need to consider noise levels.

Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM

I went with the Sena SMH10 units. the quality is great, the units work as advertised. Yes there can be some wind noise above 60, but its not too bad.

With the Sena units, you can also get helmet connectors thet allow you to use ear buds. I got 2 of each style, (two standard units with speakers attached, and two that use ear buds). I put the speaker unit into my full face helmet, and the one that utilizes the ear buds on my half helmet. I simply switch the power unit between the two helmets. On my wife's 3/4 helmet, I installed the one with the speaker system as that is what she prefers, and I still have the other ear bud unit available.

I purchased them off Ebay, after I decided on which brand I wanted.

2008 VStar 1100 Silverado...
Current Mods
Driving Lights
Crash Bar
Driver Backrest
Throttle lock
Seats modded by Mean City Cycles
Passenger floorboards
SENA headsets
Roadhouse Moto Classics slip-on exhaust
Running on Shinko 777, wide white wall tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:42 AM
Banned

I have considered getting a set up too but my wife is on the bike with me so the need for a system isn't as necessary as bike to bike communication. Let us know what you get and how it works newbie!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the suggestions. We ended up buying the Scala Rider brand. My boyfriend wanted the extra features of the radio, phone, etc. As a new rider I could care less about those options but maybe down the road I will. We are taking them on a 400 mile ride this weekend so I will let you know how they work out. We tested them in the house and he rode up the street. I could barely hear his bike when it was just idleing. Lets see what wind on both sides does. He ended up buying the special mount for his 1/2 helmet. I just used the one that came with the package it sits higher then his but it still fits my helmet.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

So we tried out the Scala Rider communication system this weekend. We both were wearing 1/2 helmets. I did not buy the extra adapter but he did. They ended up working really well. Little wind noise even with the 1/2 helmets. For some reason one one of the headsets the battery life is shorter about 3 1/2 hours. The fit was ok on my ride up the ear but was bothering me and ended up giving me a headache but we played with it a little and the way home I did not have a problem. I would recommend this product. They worked great for him giving me instructions as we rode. Plus I wasnt leading from the back I could just tell him turn left at the next light, etc.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 PM

Mute

I don't know about the Scala but on my communicator if you turn off the michrophone or mute it when not talking you can save battaries a little. Don't know if you can do that. Of course it means you would need to move your hands to turn it back on and talk. With the half helmets there would be a constand battery drain from wind and motor noise.

Sometimes after the battries have been cycled a few times they last longer. Sometimes not all the cells get charged the first time.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode