Oil and gear oil change - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Oil and gear oil change

I did my motor oil change at 600 miles, and the gear box oil at about 700.
I used Mobil 1 V-Twin oil and Full-Synthetic gear oil also.

The motor oil that drained out was very milky/ opaque looking, like it may have had some assembly lube or some kind of "Lucas"-style product installed from the factory. Certainly didn't look like fresh motor oil with only 600 miles on it from a new engine.
The gear oil looked (and smelled) normal. Nice and clear, with just a hint of an amber color.

I am AMAZED at the difference in the performance of this bike with just a simple fluid change!
There is much more power, it revs far easier and just seems to be "free-er", if that describes it.

Star claims the bike gets 42 MPG, and I have averaged about 40 MPG over the first 1,000 miles, so they aren't far off on their claims.
Of course, I am a new rider, and I am riding extremely easy so that may have a lot to do with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 AM

That's a strange oil issue. I would keep an eye on that. Anyway, now that the 'break in' is done it's time to have some fun!

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Roll on the throttle a bit and enjoy. Check your milage every ime to see how much fun you can have for your buck. You amy decide that fun is worth the gas cost. theMe, I like to ride and ride and ride. Gas here is about $3.10 a gallon.}
Ride safe

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not ridin' it easy because I'm trying to save gas...I'm ridin' easy because this is my first bike and I have never ridden a bike until I bought this one.
Everyone told me this was too much bike for a newbie, but I'm 6'4", 325 lbs and I ain't gonna' ride around on some crappy little scooter-sized bike and look like one of those fat-guy twins on a "Honda Trail-50" from the "Guiness Book of World Records"!
I just want to be sure I can really handle every goof-ball situation that may come up during a ride.

All my friends are Harley-riders with many years of riding experience, and they all say "come on, let's go!" and they just throw a leg over, grab a handfull and scream off down the road.
Without really letting anyone know, I go to a big empty parking lot about 3-4 times a week since I have bought this (about 4 weeks ago), and just practice random maneuvers:starts, stops, slow-speed figure-8's, panic stops, tight turns, swerving between cones (water bottles, actually)...that kind of novice stuff that drives experienced guys nuts.
I have put about 1,000 miles on it so far and have had no issues as of yet...hope I won't!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Ride your own ride bud. I've seen plenty of "experienced" riders drop their bikes or go into a ditch for misjudging a turn/curve. Hell, while taking my BRC I had a guy with 20 years riding fail. Being cocky gets you in a ditch or body bag.

Congrats on the bike and keep the rubber side down. And as far as the oil goes, does sound a little strange but it could be something manufacturing put in.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Who sells Mobile 1 v-twin oil?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Who sells Mobile 1 v-twin oil?
Walmart Super Centers as one place and I am sure lots of others.
I use 15/40 Diesel oil in my 1300 tourer. Right now vavoline blue but also like Delo LE 400 and Rotella, all Dino oils cause I change so often.

But one thing for sure Mobile 1 V-Twin is a fantastic oil, has been tested by magazines. It truly is different oil from their automotive mobile 1 brand. Mainly because the Mobile 1 V -twin contains much more Zinc, which is a terrific wear additive that has been reduced in automotive oils because it wears the catalytic converters out in cars.
However I think in coming years they will be forced to reduce it in motorcycle oils as well, since so many bikes are starting to come with catalytic converters. Anyway, the important thing is ...
Mobile 1 V-Twin for motorcycles is TRULY made for motorcycles and not just car oil put into a motorcycle oil container.
With that said so are the Vavoline brand of motorcycle oils.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Sullivan View Post
Yeah, I'm not ridin' it easy because I'm trying to save gas...I'm ridin' easy because this is my first bike and I have never ridden a bike until I bought this one.
Everyone told me this was too much bike for a newbie, but I'm 6'4", 325 lbs and I ain't gonna' ride around on some crappy little scooter-sized bike and look like one of those fat-guy twins on a "Honda Trail-50" from the "Guiness Book of World Records"!
I just want to be sure I can really handle every goof-ball situation that may come up during a ride.

All my friends are Harley-riders with many years of riding experience, and they all say "come on, let's go!" and they just throw a leg over, grab a handfull and scream off down the road.
Without really letting anyone know, I go to a big empty parking lot about 3-4 times a week since I have bought this (about 4 weeks ago), and just practice random maneuvers:starts, stops, slow-speed figure-8's, panic stops, tight turns, swerving between cones (water bottles, actually)...that kind of novice stuff that drives experienced guys nuts.
I have put about 1,000 miles on it so far and have had no issues as of yet...hope I won't!
Your a SMART person ... I have been riding 3 years now, always reminded myself of my limitations. I respect the bike and what it is, I have been incident free and plain to stay that way. As I learn I take things to the next level but always reminding myself I am not invincible. One thing I always taught myself, at every corner, always "look twice" is my rule, I never pull out until at least two looks each way, never take chances.
With that said, doesnt mean, now that I am used to riding I dont have fun!. I did two solo runs into the NC mountains this very summer. Once on my C-50 to Tail of the Dragon and jsut this month on my 1300 tourer to Maggie Valley (same area)

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Sullivan View Post
I did my motor oil change at 600 miles, and the gear box oil at about 700.
I used Mobil 1 V-Twin oil and Full-Synthetic gear oil also.

The motor oil that drained out was very milky/ opaque looking, like it may have had some assembly lube or some kind of "Lucas"-style product installed from the factory. Certainly didn't look like fresh motor oil with only 600 miles on it from a new engine.
The gear oil looked (and smelled) normal. Nice and clear, with just a hint of an amber color.
I don't see where it says what kind of bike you own.
Is it the 1300? If so I would be concerned about milky white oil. Normally means there is water in the oil. But if it is not the 1300 then it couldnt be water in the oil because the other models are air cooled. In air cooled case, depending on what someone perceives, as milky white, I would wonder if the oil was overfilled and caused it to foam. Anyway, no alarm bells here but I do suggest you keep an eye on the oil level window and if you ever see a milky color again, you have a problem.
If it is the 1300 another easy way would be to keep an eye on the coolant level, if you see it disappearing ... and milky color, you have head gasket issues most likely.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
I don't see where it says what kind of bike you own.
...I would be concerned about milky white oil. Normally means there is water in the oil. But if it is not the 1300 then it could'nt be water in the oil because the other models are air cooled...
My bike is a Raider. Air cooled, of course.

I have owned several oil change and auto repair shops for about 20 years now, so I am pretty familiar with most of the different types of oil contamination that you would typically run into.
This wasn't a milky white water-looking issue, just an opaque, slimy condition. I am almost positive it was an oil additive of some kind. I'm not worried about it too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode