Did I destroy my windshield? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Val

Question Did I destroy my windshield?

So when I purchased my V-Star last year the guy told me that he'd accidentally sprayed hornet killer on his windshield a few years back and had never been able to get it off.

You could still see through it but it wasn't exactly pretty. So this weekend I figured I'd try and clean it off.

I tried a Magic Eraser, nada.

Then I tried Goof-Off, which has worked wonders for me on stainless steel before. Sure enough, the streaks are gone but they've been replaced with a haziness that you CAN'T see through, but you can feel (i.e. it has texture).

Have I damaged the plastic on it? Is there any saving it?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val View Post

Have I damaged the plastic on it? Is there any saving it?

Thanks in advance!
Hard to tell. When you say "texture" is it like an additive texture or spiderweb haze surface scratches? Lexan can be very unforgiving of anything acidic or that contains ammonia or an ammonia derivative.

For the simplest of tests, see if you can find a can of Pledge or Old English or Great Value furniture polish around the house. If you can, spray your windshield and polish off with soft cloth (terrycloth towel, old t-shirt). Pledge (and equivalent) will fill in very fine scratches and do nearly miraculous things with an "etched" windshield.

But if your "Goof-Off" has melted or softened the Lexan so that you basically stirred it around when you were wiping it off, then the following may apply to you:

'Luck, eh?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 PM

you could use a buffing wheel and polishing compound as if you were buffing out the hood of a car. Then after that use Brasso polish with the buffing wheel, make sure and clean the buffing wheel out before switching to the brasso. I used the brass to polish my iPod because it was all scratched up and it worked perfect, should have similar results on windshield. look at it this way, you can't make it any worse.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

Test first

Before you try anything new on your windshield I would try a small spot in a corner that doesn't show.

Not sure about iPods but most smart phones use a high tech glass called Gorella Glass. Made by Corning. May not be the same.

Dave
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
For the simplest of tests, see if you can find a can of Pledge or Old English or Great Value furniture polish around the house. If you can, spray your windshield and polish off with soft cloth (terrycloth towel, old t-shirt). Pledge (and equivalent) will fill in very fine scratches and do nearly miraculous things with an "etched" windshield.
Springer, I was a little impatient when I bought my new windsheild for my bike. It had a sticker on it when it came out of the box. After picking at it for a week I got a brainy idea. I know back in my teen years we used to use razor blades to peel off stickers or old tint. So the brainiac here decided to try it. Well I ended up with little scratches in the right corner. Do you think this will work on the tiny scratches or will it mess up my windshield.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 05:36 AM

Garage
It will never look right use it to slide down the snow bank rob the piggy bank and get you a new one
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned

I agree with Farmall, it's toast. For fun compare the possibility of tendinitis from buffing out the whole windshield vs, the cost of a crystal clear, brand spankin new, I can see a lady bug in the road 12 feet in front of me, windshield.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 AM

Thumbs up Here's a tip that may save the day !

Ok Guys and Gals, along with my many different preaching subjects lol !, I also happen to build/restore and fly airplanes, and our windshields/windscreens are basicly the same as the stuff on our scooters, and cost quite abit more, so check out the below kit, it's fantastic, I have used it quite a few times myself. in a nutshell, it's a bunch of very fine sandpaper, many different grits, down to almost a baby butt smoothness and a lubricant to float the sanded particles off the work piece. Check out the aircraftspruce site. They have a good selection of materials that will work with our scooters.
Enjoy and learn something new everyday.

1. MICRO-MESH ACRYLIC RESTORAL KIT - 100 SQUARE FEET

This kit is used by hand to restore up to 100 square feet of aircraft transparencies or other acrylic surfaces.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...romeshprof.php - 1.6kb

09-24716 MICROMESH SCRTCH REM PROF. KIT $68.95
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
I ended up with little scratches in the right corner. Do you think this will work on the tiny scratches or will it mess up my windshield.
Depending on how deep the scratches are, it should. There's nothing in any of the Pledge-type polishes that will hurt Lexan. I've used Pledge, Old English, Favor, Great Value on all my windshields and they do a couple of things:

1. They temporarily will fill in haze scratches to a point you think you have a new windshield, but when you wash the windshield (with a non-ammonia windshield wash) you'll have to go back over it with Pledge;
2. Makes it much easier to clean bugs off the Lexan; and
3. Makes a good water beading coating.

Aircraft owners and motorcyclists have been using Pledge (and others similar) without any ill effect on Lexan for years.

But as I say, it's a temporary coating that will wear off. Whenever I use a detergent to wash my windshield, after it's dried, I always go back over it with a coating of Favor/Pledge, etc. Been doing it for years.

I also use the stuff as an interim wax job on all parts of the bike between serious wax/polishes with Meguiars.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
I can see a lady bug in the road 12 feet in front of me, windshield.
Man I can't even tell there sex at 6"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode