To Preserve and Protect - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

To Preserve and Protect

A SD RV dealer came up with this and says it's how he keeps his inventory rodent-free (most of it sits outside on the Great Plains all winter).

Spearmint oil seems to repel the critters 99.9% of the time (he said). The only time he has problems is if he's taken a unit in trade that already had/has a mouse infestation; then it doesn't seem to work. Nor will it repel critters who have already taken up housekeeping.

The technique he employs is to saturate cotton balls and place one each in a small paper cup. Then he puts one or two cups in typical mouse incursion locations throughout the RV. (I didn't ask if it made the units Wrigley going down the road.......sorry...not...)

For those of us who store their bikes/cars/RV's et. al. in vulnerable locations for rodent attack, this is a great, pet friendly, focused way to keep them damage free.

I've used Downy dryer sheets in my bikes' saddlebags for years and never had any mouse problems. I think this year as the temperatures go down and the critters start looking for winter nesting sites, I'm going to give the Spearmint Oil a try in my garaged (barned) cars, JD, etc. If it keeps million$ of dollars worth of dealer RV's safe, it's worth a shot.

You can find any number of vendors online, including Amazon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 AM

Sounds like good advice, Springer. I park the La Madrugada outside because I have no inside availible. But then I use her all the time so she is not stored, per se.
I have a problem with cats that like to crawl up and slepp on the seat.
Got a cure for that?

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by la madrugada View Post
I have a problem with cats that like to crawl up and slepp on the seat.
Got a cure for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:18 PM

Dryer sheets

We have used dryer sheets in our RV, cars' garage, and bike for a while. The tip came from an RV dealer. He also lives in a rural farming area where mice are plentyful. They seem to work well and smell better than moth balls that also work.

I stuff a few dryer sheets in spots on and in the bike, and lay a few moth balls under it on the floor. We do the same with the SUV's.

Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
We have used dryer sheets in our RV, cars' garage, and bike for a while. The tip came from an RV dealer. He also lives in a rural farming area where mice are plentyful. They seem to work well and smell better than moth balls that also work.

I stuff a few dryer sheets in spots on and in the bike, and lay a few moth balls under it on the floor. We do the same with the SUV's.

Dave
Yes indeed. Our guy said mothballs kill his resale value because the odor is so tough to eliminate.

He says if he doses his inventory about this time of year, the Spearmint oil lasts all winter. At $4 - $6/oz. it is a little spendy, but the chewed alternative is a lot more spendy.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Right on! A good heavy dose of lead has been reported to cure many ills

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode