Did I do something wrong? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Did I do something wrong?

Okay - Just finished my first oil / filter change now that I got the damn drain plug out. Problem / Question is, only 2 qt's came out. I put in 3 as per the manual.

I had the bile level on a home made stand, and let it drain with the fill cap off and filter out for 15 min. Not a drop was still dripping. My fill sight glass is to the top w/ the bike still on the stand. Scared to start it now for fear that I'll blow a gasket...

Thoughts and comments always welcome for this newbe....

mk

“We already have enough youth, what we what we need is a fountain of smart.” 1999 Road Star Silverado & 2009 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Okay

- Just finished my first oil / filter change now that I got the damn drain plug out. Problem / Question is, only 2 qt's came out. I put in 3 as per the manual.

I had the bile level on a home made stand, and let it drain with the fill cap off and filter out for 15 min. Not a drop was still dripping. My fill sight glass is to the top w/ the bike still on the stand. Scared to start it now for fear that I'll blow a gasket...

Thoughts and comments always welcome for this newbe....

mk
What model bike is it?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Its a 650 2009. i guess there was some in the filter. The glass shows beautiful new oil.

“We already have enough youth, what we what we need is a fountain of smart.” 1999 Road Star Silverado & 2009 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Oil

The service manual say's 3.4 quarts total, 2.7 quarts if not filter, 3 quarts with filter change. Do you thiink you could have been a half quart or so low to start?

I guess that would mean you are a cup over filled. If you did not change filter. I don't really understand the 3.4 total. Unless that means 0.4 does not drain out?

Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
The service manual say's 3.4 quarts total, 2.7 quarts if not filter, 3 quarts with filter change. Do you thiink you could have been a half quart or so low to start?

I guess that would mean you are a cup over filled. If you did not change filter. I don't really understand the 3.4 total. Unless that means 0.4 does not drain out?

Dave
Yeah Dave, that has me perplexed as well. I did do the filter, and added the 3 quarts w/ out any issue, no over flow or slow to add issues when I filled her. I would not have even noticed until I cleaned up and took the waste oil into the empty bottles. She seems to run okay, and shifts 100% better too.

This is my first oil change on a used bike so it could have been low to start with. The engine light has never come on which I would have thought it would if it were dangerously low...

mk

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 06:45 PM

Not real sure what you got there,but until you fire it up, it will read high in the glass, if you did change the filter, it must fill too. Run it a bit, then check your glass, after giving it time to settle back down.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Check it now that you have run it and make sure the level was right. Knowing you only got 2 qts out you may want to check you fluid more frequently. I always do on a new toy. Even if it is brand new. Even brand new vehicles can burn oil to the point you have to add some.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
You won't blow a gasket being over full, that is a old wives tale.If it was way too full you would have lack of power and blow oil up through the breather. Also you would burn more oil than normal because the rings could not hold back that much oil.Hold the bike up level check the site glass if it's all the way to the top start the engine rev it once or twice shut it off and check the site glass again. If it's any where to the top of the glass your fine. So lets ride and keep the shiny side up.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode