Procrastination and saving a buck...not worth it - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Angry Procrastination and saving a buck...not worth it

So we've been planning for this Saturday's ride for a few months now, ever since the date was set. It's the fall event of an annual benefit ride that's run twice a year, in the spring and the fall. We've never done it before, and were really looking forward to the spring run this year until the day of the ride when it snowed all day. So we've been planning the fall run, and our best friend was riding with us on his new-to-him-this-spring 650 Silverado.

He's known for most of the summer that he was going to need a new back tire before the fall run. Can't afford it, blah blah blah. So around the end of July, beginning of August, he came across a used OEM tire, about 60% tread left, for $30. Good deal, I agree. So he picked it up. And it sat at his house until he could "afford" the $60 to have it installed. So today, 3 days before our ride, he finally had it done. Only to find out that the tire was crap and the sidewall is shot. Now that it's too late to do anything about it.

So we're going on our ride on Saturday solo (ok, two people, solo bike; by "we" I didn't mean me and the friend in my pocket). Which is fine, since we'll see several hundred bikes and riders throughout the day, but it's always fun to ride with someone you know, too. And since we've been planning this since at least June, I'm a little miffed. I guess I'm done ranting, but my point is that sometimes it doesn't pay to try to save a buck, and it really sucks to wait until the last minute for something important.

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Like I always say you get what you pay for it.I have learned from my early years of hard knocks that don't wait to the last minute because it never goes right.Have a great ride be safe,take lots of pictures and keep the shiny side up.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDar View Post
I guess I'm done ranting, but my point is that sometimes it doesn't pay to try to save a buck, and it really sucks to wait until the last minute for something important.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel...

I can tell you're frosted...we were too this morning: 31 degrees....

Enjoy the fall colour (I have to spell it that way because you're honorary Canadians) and the ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned

60 bucks for the install???

That's just re-God-damn-diculous!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I can tell you're frosted...we were too this morning: 31 degrees....
Yep, 31 here this morning, too. Someone had to scrape windows before work, and someone else didn't.

Guess which vehicle gets the garage?

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 10:39 AM

Does this friend of your have a sign on him that says MUPHY´S LAW INCARNATE. aT LEAST YOU ARE READY Think of what would ahve happened if he had gone with your tow and something went wrong. Oyve

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

wow. motorcycle tires is something i don't want to save money on. too important for your safety, handling, performance, self-confidence, and overall riding enjoyment and capability. tell your friend to go on a raman noodle diet if he needs to save money for something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode