American Heat Rally 2011 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

American Heat Rally 2011

Is anyone planning on attending the American Heat Rally in Palm Springs in October? We are planning on going with a ride to the traveling Vietnam wall. I have been to the real wall several times but my boyfriend has not. This should be a great side ride for him.

http://www.themovingwall.org/

Any feedback on the American Heat Rally would be appreciated we have never attended this one. In addition for anyone who has gone and see the moving wall love to hear your story.

Thank you to all who have served our country! We are forever greatful!

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 PM

The moving wall was in my town about 6 or 8 months ago. I was still riding my 650 then. It came into town in a parade of vets on bikes. Very impressive and touching.

I rode over to the park where they set it up, and found I had to hoof it about a mile in jeans, riding boots, leather jacket, etc. I took off my helmet, unzipped my jacket and headed out. I got about half way there, I realized that my key was not in my half-helmet where I had put it. I had absent-mindedly dropped it......somewhere.

So I began to retrace my steps....the whole half mile. It was getting hotter and hotter. Nothing. Couldn't find it for nothing. I retraced my entire route four times. Nothing.

I was getting ready to make a phone call to have my spare delivered, but decided to first check the library nearby to see if anyone had turned it in. They had. Whew!

After all that, I was not about to hoof it yet another mile, so I just rode away.

Went back the next day (glutton for punishment), and checked it out. They had a 3/4 scale wall. They also had a 9/11 wall on the other side of the park, and next to that, a WOT (War on Terror) wall. There were some uniformed troops from an honor guard milling about, so I picked out the swabby and started chatting with him. He pointed to several names on the WOT wall who were other sailors he had served with or knew. He was the bitterest sailor I ever talked to.

Walked back to my bike clutching my key the whole time.....quietly.

You're welcome.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok so we made it out to the American Heat Rally last weekend. Yeah not sure if that is one we will hit again. It was miserable hot and way to many patches for my liking. I am not sure if this was because the HA had their funeral this weekend and did not have any attendies or because that club claims that Rally. I would like to know the answer to that before we decide to return to it. The vendors were ok but they were pretty much the ones at Street Vibrations. The only thing we walked away with was one event t-shirt each. Once of the guys crashed right in front of my timeshare so that was a tence few minutes while the patched in guys took off and left about 30 prospects their with the accident. We ended up heading up to the Palm Spring Tram on Saturday becuase I did not want to deal with any issues. We have been to many events and usually you will see the MC about 5-10 together but this was about 10-15 on each street corner. Reno always has so much LE that I dont worry so much about it. Vegas had a different vibe as well. I dont know just didnt feel much like a party to me and I felt like I couldnt relax and enjoy the scenery since I was always watching what they were doing. So if anyone has been to this Rally before I would like to know if this is their Rally they claim and it is always like that or if just this year.

We did not participate in the Poker Run because I wanted to head out to the Moving Wall. They had not posted the change in location but after great directions from the groundman we found it. It was amazing as expected but I forgot my darn tissue. It was the highlight of the ride that is for sure.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Here are some of the photos from the rally and the Traveling Wall.

http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/...erican%20Heat/

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

good job newbie. good photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode