Harleys over rated? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Harleys over rated?

We have a Yamaha Vstar which dad got as his first bike. Our neighbor has a 2006 Harley Davidson and when he came up to see dads bike he was impressed yet he said "You need a REAL bike" as a joke of course, but I heard this before.

His HArley cost over 20,000(2006) dollars and as I looked it over and compared with our Yamaha which cost 8,000 when brand new, I couldn't tell what was the big deal about a Harley?? The fit, finish, looks of both bikes looked equal to me and IMO I like the Yamaha better for looks and the way the engine looked. The Yamaha sounds better to me(both bikes have drag pipes) and overall I couldn't see anything that special about the Harley except the legendary name.
Don't get me wrong, his Harley is bad-ass, but I like the Yamaha way better and fit, hardware, finish seemed just as good as the Harley. I also bet anything that the Yamaha could kill the Harley in a race.

I also heard that newer Harley have Japanese wiring and parts, because Harley had a period where their wiring sucked so they consulted Japan for the wiring....is this true? lol.

The Harley is nice, but I don't see 20,000 plus when yo ucan get a nice Yamaha for a fraction of that and have it be the better performer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Choices

We all buy what we want or can afford. That's fine with me.

Dave
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

ah, yes. another harley bashing thread. let the games begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenarioX View Post
The Harley is nice, but I don't see 20,000 plus when yo ucan get a nice Yamaha for a fraction of that and have it be the better performer.
i think that's the sentiment of most Yamaha owners. it's like the difference between owning an Acura and a Mercedes. both make great cars, look similar in style and luxury and performance, but you're spending more to own a Mercedes. and people will spend more money because Mercedes has more of a reputation/history/name than an Acura.

a lot of people buy a Harley because of its name. it's an 'American' bike, and that's what they want to own. Harley does make some great bikes, but a lot of people think they're the best because of its storied history and because they cost more. actually, asian bike designs have morphed to look more like Harleys over the years as far as looks and sound. so when you say they look equal, that's not an accident. as for the sound, asian manufacturers began changing the timing of the engine to make the exhaust note more comparable to a Harley. but they were able to do these things while making a more dependable bike and for considerable lower price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
We all buy what we want or can afford. That's fine with me.

Dave
+1 I like them all but mostly the ones I have right now.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 PM

Yes, we all ride what we like and can afford, squabble all day long, don't mean nothin, we still like what we like
(Moose horns, Blue bikes, rat bikes, even HARLEYS, bikes wrapped in Bob Wyre, hell, we ride em cause we love to ride, huh?

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 PM

I like 'em all! I might even add a 03 or 04 Dyna to the shed if it's owner is serious about trading for my brick (car).

"There is no man living that can not do more than he thinks he can."
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
Henry Ford
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
When I was looking for a big v-twin to buy, hd was on the list.I did all the comparisons and bought a stratoliner because it was 10,000 dollars cheaper. Hd makes great bikes but after owning my strat I wouldn't buy one. To answer your ? about hds being part rice,yes they are and so are the autos built here in the usa.Lots of manufactures will out sorce to keep the costs down.I think Yamaha builds a superior bike. On the other hand I would own a hd if the price was right. I like all kinds of bikes.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Banned

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering a Road King about the time I started to consider a bike a little more suited for two up. I also wouldn't say that I was in a " money is no object" position (never been there). But when I strolled thru the front door and saw the Strato-S and at a real good left over price, I was already done looking. One reason that made the choice easy for me was being familiar with the big Yammi V-Twin. To apply some theory here, if I was more familiar with the the HD V-Twin, I may be riding the Road King today.

I guess my point is that having a comfort zone with your current knowledge and familiarity with one machine plays a major role in who's company logo is at the top of the bill of sale. Much more important to me than any ego trip associated with a brand name or culture.

Additionally, my riding with other friends is non-existant because none of my closest friends have scoots, so my peer pressure is also non-existant.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
I'd be lying
Now there's a given...

HD has improved its quality in recent years, and I like the looks of their full dress machines (King, Glides). However, the counterculture promoted, fostered, and perpetuated by HD is the reason I will never have one in my driveway, even if they drop their prices and begin to produce a bike the quality of the Strat.

Last edited by Springer; 09-21-2011 at 08:53 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Nah, not meant to bash Harleys.

I am one of those people that doesn't care or judge people for what they ride or drive. If Harley is your thing, then allright.

For me I cannot afford even a used Harley that is 7 years old, but love the looks and dependability of Japanese bikes and dirt bikes. I have a 1992 Yamaha Blaster 4 wheeler that still runs, never been rebuilt and has been hammered quite often. Now I just use it to go back in the fields to check things out. to old to jump it anymore lol.

So I don't care, Japanese is dependable and very affordable. Looked at a Yamaha Stryker today...I was impressed....nice paint...nothing looked "cheap"

I guess I would say I'd be happy riding a 11,000 dollar Yamaha big V-Twin just as well as a 20,000 plus dollar Harley.
Also looked at a Suzuki hyubusa today lol..... Nah....I think that would be a mistake for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode