Yamaha Star Bikes v. Other metric bikes? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Yamaha Star Bikes v. Other metric bikes?

Okay, enough about Harley v. Metric. In my view, the two really can't be compared. It's like apples and oranges. Both taste delicious, but you wouldn't want to make a pie out of one of them.

What I'd like to know is whether there is a reason all of you chose Yamaha over, say, Kawasaki, or Honda, or Suzuki. Is there any difference in performance, quality, or market value, in your mind?

When I was shopping for my first and only bike (so far), I knew I wanted a belt-driven bike, and looked briefly at the Kawasaki Vulcan, but was told the engine is from the Ninja, and less reliable than the Yamaha V-twin. That's how I found my way to the V Star.

Got my M-class in July 2011.
Got my 1999 V Star 650 Classic in August 2011.
Been having lots of fun ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 AM

How can Vulcans have a Ninja motor when all Ninjas are i4's or parallel twins?

Anyhow, I don't know much about other metrics. I've always been a Yamaha fan even before I first started riding. I do like the big Boulevards from Suzuki and I like a few of the Vulcans from Kawi. I don't like Honda cruisers. I think they sound terrible and I don't like the plastic body parts.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

When I left the sport bike side to join the cruiser side, the items on my check list were:
V-Twin
Over 1200cc
Belt Drive
Air cooled
"Stylin'"

Like a lot of dealers today, I stop in regularly at one that carries multiple brands. The Star crusier met my criteria.

Last edited by stratowart; 09-29-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 AM

Before the La Madrugada, I had a Kawasaki. I bought it used and ws pleased with its performance but not its power. When it came time to buy a cycle this year I looked at lots of Kawasaki and Yamaha and Hondas. The Yamaha won hands down because of price and leve of cc powerand styling. I would not go to Honda again for various reason, the main being comfort.
So, if push comes to shove, I would be a Yamaha-Kawasaki rider without a doubt.
I love my Yammy 1100 silverado, and air cooled is easier than liquid, any day.

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 PM

I had an affinity for Yamaha to start with because my first bike was a Trailmaster 100 and I owned two SHO's with Yamaha engines. I also own some Yamaha sound reproduction equipment. I have never been disappointed with a Yamaha product.

A good friend is a total motorcycle geek and runs a cycle repair business on the side. He is mostly into vintage bikes but he had an '07 1100 Classic as his daily driver. I totally lusted after that bike. When he told me he wanted to sell the 1100 I asked him why he chose it. He went into a long explanation about the way the engine was configured, the advantages of shaft drive, and how the bike had monster torque as well as a wide powerband. That last trait is difficult to design into an engine. My SHO's had the same characteristic, btw.

I figured that this guy had done way more research than I ever would so I didn't even look any further. I bought the 1100 and never looked back.

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTwelve View Post
How can Vulcans have a Ninja motor when all Ninjas are i4's or parallel twins?

I guess it's only the 500 series I was looking at that had this feature. This is from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Vulcan 500 was introduced in 1990, and was the first motorcycle in the Vulcan series not to feature a V-twin engine. Instead, the Vulcan 500 was fitted with the parallel twin 498 cc engine from the Kawasaki Ninja 500r. The Vulcan 500 thus had a high power to weight ratio for a cruiser producing nearly 50 hp (37 kW) despite weighing only 438 lb (199 kg) with a 13,000 rpm redline.[citation needed] The Vulcan 500 was discontinued after the 2009 model year for a nearly 20 year production run.

Got my M-class in July 2011.
Got my 1999 V Star 650 Classic in August 2011.
Been having lots of fun ever since.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 PM

I've driven Honda a single Yamaha bike. I didn't have any issues with either. I haven't purchased my bike yet, but it will be the 1100 Classic. I based it on reviews and the look. There were other bikes that looked similar to the Classic, but none that looked EXACTLY like the classic. When I read the reviews the deal was sealed.

"Never ask a question that you may not be prepared to have answered. "
Mark Rippetoe
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsk8r View Post
I guess it's only the 500 series I was looking at that had this feature. This is from Wikipedia:
Ahhhhh.... Old ones. That makes sense.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

my dad has always had asian bikes. yamahas, hondas, kawasakis, never really a preference. my brother-in-law got a V Star 650 a little more than a decade ago. that's when i fell in love with Yamaha. didn't want any other brand when i decided to get my own bike
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:51 PM

When i got Babe i had been out of the riding 'scene' for more than 10 years. My brother and his friends were all motorcycle mechanics that worked at a 'MotorSports' shop that sells and services all brands. They steared me toward the Yamaha because they had the best track record for reliability and least amount of recalls. My brother new my riding experience and when he saw me sitting on the 650 he pulled me of it, said "That wont due", then pushed me onto the 1100.

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode