Your Worst Riding Conditions... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Your Worst Riding Conditions...

A comment in another thread got me to thinking about the worst riding conditions i've been caught in (thanks stratowart). I'll bet some of you have some good stories. I think i'm fortuneate as i've always planned ahead so i don't have any extreme experience. I did meet (and help) a guy who did.

1986/7 i rode/drove with my brother from Tacoma, WA to Rathdrum, ID (north of Coeur d' Alene). There was about 3-5 feet of snow on the ground, lots of cars in the ditchs' and a heavy & wet snow was coming down hard.Everything on the ground was frozen. About 20 miles west of Spokane, ID we came up behind a guy on a bike with both feet down to keep himself up. He was doing about 5 mph and sliding around a lot. Luckily we were in my brothers van and loaded the guy and his bike up and gave him a ride the rest of his trip. I believe he said he started out in Seattle. For those that don't know the ride from Seattle to Spokane is about 4 hours on a good day in the middle of summer. That guy was VERY gratefull

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 PM

Got caught in freezing rain one time. Lucky I was about 5 minutes from home.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:48 PM

My worst was riding thru a torrential down pour crossing from Indiana into Kentucky. It was comming down in buckets, but I had to keep going because I was following a freind who knew the way to where we were going, must of been a good 50 miles or so. After it was all said and done, I dumped a few quarts of water out of each of my boots.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

heading back from a cross country trip when it started pouring rain. it was so thick that i couldn't even see my buddy who was in front of me. pretty scary. i decided that i was just gonna pull over under an overpass until it became more visible and he had the exact same idea because we both happened to stop under the same overpass without being able to signal or see each other
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 AM

Unhappy

It was 1978. My wife and I were doing a tour around Lake Superior. We crossed back into the states at SSM and hit rain. The temp dropped into the high 40s. We had rain suits, but lacked shoe covers so we stopped in a bakery and got bread bags to put on over our socks. We had planned to camp in Copper Harbor, MI but scrapped the idea on account of the weather. It was still raining and cold when we got to Bay Field, WI, and my wife demanded that we press on until we found a motel. Night had fallen when we pulled into a Holiday Inn in Superior, WI. We were told that they had no vacancy so we decided to 'camp' in their lobby. They received a cancellation, and we got a room. Sadly, it was on this day that my wife lost interest in motorcycling. She, somewhat reluctantly, will accompany me on day rides up to 100 miles, but it must be sunny and in the 80s, and it's obvious by her commentary that she isn't really enjoying herself.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 PM

Garage
My "experience" was an early spring downpour on still to be cleaned roads. The taste of sand mixed with road salt was to be desired. It took me a few days to clean my bike from all of that salt staining.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 PM

Coming North from Puerto Escondido, Mx. went entered the Penotepa National Parque, Park, and a hit rain storm that soaked us from the ears down. I had a lake between my legs adn it was not warm. The temp dropped from 85 to 40 degree in 15 minutes. 2 1/2 hours of riding high in the mountainswtih no place to stop. We finally left the forrest, came back down to sea level and found a motel with airconditioning. Everything dried by morning.

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Banned

Got you all beat,,, although I have not experienced it myself, thank God, BUT:
Picture yourself riding alone on a newly paved winding road thru the rolling hills, perfect temperature and a gorgeous sunny day.....now picture that same ride but severly limited by the poor performance because you are riding a blackcherry colored motorcycle....stuff nightmares are made of I tell ya

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Got you all beat,,, although I have not experienced it myself, thank God, BUT:
Picture yourself riding alone on a newly paved winding road thru the rolling hills, perfect temperature and a gorgeous sunny day.....now picture that same ride but severly limited by the poor performance because you are riding a blackcherry colored motorcycle....stuff nightmares are made of I tell ya
Ha! I got that one beat...imagine the same scenario but you are riding anything other than a black bike! I have nightmares for you poor souls that ride bikes painted other than black!

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead1100 View Post
Ha! I got that one beat...imagine the same scenario but you are riding anything other than a black bike! I have nightmares for you poor souls that ride bikes painted other than black!
And, Mr. Jarhead1100, ISN'T it true you thought of this "scenario" AFTER that which was first described by a BLUE bike rider?

I have no more questions your Honor, the defendant may step down.

Last edited by stratowart; 11-01-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode