What helmet brand/type do you use?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

What helmet brand/type do you use??

I ran a search for this topic but couldn't find one.

So I used to ride a sport bike so I have my full face Icon helmet but my wife insist that it doesn't "match" the cruiser look. Anyways, we went shopping for a helmet for her and we went with a Bell B-24 half face helmet for her. And I'm holding off on mine for now. Just out of curiosity, what type of helmet do you guys use? And what brands are comfortable/look good? I'm not big into graphix, my personal favorite is just matte black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 AM

With half helmets the thing you are gonna be looking for is a slimmer profile to make less mushroom head. I think the bell drifter is a good one for that,make sure not to throw away your fullface because you will want it in the cold.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
I myself use a bell drifter half helmet a outlaw half helmet and a hjc full face.My wife uses a bell drifter and a hjc full face.Hope this helps and I agree with Jesse with the slim profile helmets.I don't like the mushroom head look.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

I wear a full face Shoei RF-1000 (black and graphics free), I don't care if I don't "look the part". I will also wear a half helmet occasionally but I won't ride the same way as when I have the full face on. I have a lot more fun riding when wearing the full face. Go with your gut,,,,, unless your whipped.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM

I have a Shoei RF-1100 Sever II, which has some Halloween centric graphics. Only wear it when it gets cooler though.

My half helmet is an Outlaw with a pissed off eagle with American Flag wings. Clearly I don't care about mushroom head or graphics.

I recommend doing some shopping on line and reading lots of reviews to weed out low quality, then going and actually trying them on. They will not all fit you proplerly, and fit is almost as important as how cool you look.....! :-)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:25 PM

I have a Vega open face......Only real reason I got it was because it fit good and the dealer I bought my bike at had a 1/2 off sale on them and I needed something..It's really comfortable and I can wear it when it's warm or cool, because it has the vents that actually make a good difference.

Problem is, it is really high-profile. Normally I don't care too much on how something looks, but this adds an extra 5-6 inches to the top of my head, lol.

Daytona is supposed to offer the lowest profile helmets while still being D.O.T. approved...Will most likely pick up one of them before riding season..

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF

Last edited by BP03; 12-15-2011 at 12:32 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Garage
Seven Zero Seven full-face helmet. Like Strat, I have a 1/2 helmet I wear periodically (just around town) on hot days in the summer, and I am also unconcerned if I don't look the part.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Garage
I have a Scorpion EXO-100. Very comfortable but it does give you a bit of a "mushroom" head. Seriously looking at the Schubert C3. Doesn't look like a cruiser helmet but one of the best out there.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Daytona Helmets skid lid ($50). supposed to be the smallest DOT rated half helmet on the market. pretty comfortable. covered in lambskin leather. these are some comparison shots between this and the HJC CS-2N BLADE HELMET ($70) i used before.

Last edited by bevo1981; 12-16-2011 at 12:38 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:35 PM

I've got 3, a Z1R Nomad halfie that's REALLY used, a new HJC Blade halfie that I bought last year and I think I've only worn it once, and a Fulmer open-face that I had a headset in when I had the Venture. I really like the Z1R because it's vented, as is the Fulmer. The HJC was a closeout buy at a Fla. dealer last year, think I gave $40.00 for it. I just haven't ridden enough this year to get it out and "break it in". I feel like I'm being smothered with a full-face, but they do offer a lot more protection than anything else. Just make sure whatever you buy fits properly.

'99 Bordeaux Red/Silver Royal Star Venture
Yamaha passing lamps
Kuryakyn grips
Yamaha tank bib
Show Chrome trunk rack
Utopia backrest
Mic mute
Dual Spectre "custom" air cleaner mod
Roadhouse slip-on mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode