Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

I need oil change advise

8K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  stratowart 
#1 ·
Last week I changed oil in my 05 Road Star for 1st time since I bought it. After a 3 mile ride to warm it up, it drained VERY slow and only 2 qts. I tried bump starting for about 2 seconds and it came out fast, but it took about 4 times to fully drain the crankcase.

Any ideas why ?

Thanks

#3 ·
slow oil change

Interesting - there is NO mention of it in the bike owners manual, just the one plug drain - it's even only one shown in a pic. ????

This is a 1700cc RoadStar - does that change your input any. There is another drain, but that is the transmission, I was told.

#5 ·
Oil change plugs

You would think the engines were identical - mine is an 05. My way worked and since it is only a once a year job, I guess I'll just stick with it. Maybe there is a small blockage of gum somewhere and it will only pass with the pressure of the engine pushing it ??? Many - I really mean many - years ago, we would run about a qt. of Kerosene through an engine to clean them out and get rid of sludge. have not done that trick since the 60's. Not sure I would try it on the bike.

#6 · (Edited)
They are, my Warrior was an '02, exact same process and oil plug locations. I'm not sure I agree with your line of thinking, I mean it's just one more drain plug and everything drains out all at once, well, providing you have a oil pan that can catch both streams. Hell, it's even the same wrench for both plugs.

What you are doing is starting the engine each time and then the oil pump pushes oil from the tank into an engine starving for oil. Just sounds tedious and a wee bit torturous to me doing it that way. Plus you are probably never going to fully empty the oil tank using that method.

...just my $0.02

#11 ·
You get that oil changed yet ? One plug is right behind the kick stand, it's difficult to get to and you may have to alter a box end 17 mm wrench to get to it. I just took a grinder to mine and thinned down the box end a bit and it worked fine. The other is on the bottom back by the Shock tension adjuster. You can use a 17mm socket on this one. Remove the dip stick. Be sure and drain both tanks. Replace the filter and drain plugs add two qts replace the dip stick. start it let run about 15 seconds, rev it a couple of times then add two more qts. WARNING REPLACE DIP STICK BEFORE STARTING. My bike is an 09 FI but there all the same.

#12 ·
Thanks for the good write-up. The owners manual never mentions a 2nd plug or having to remove the dip stick. I got it out, but the hard way. Thanks to some of you for the good advise. I will definately find that 2nd plug next time. Really different from auto's - I've done them all my life, but this is first time with a bike.

#13 ·
Liner owners are upper echelon ???

Did it make you feel better to get a dig in ??

Work as hard as I have all my life and get one of your own :) We don't feel superior, just happy to be riding. Every one I have met did not care what you ride, you were still joining a great brother/sister hood. Except maybe You :)

#15 ·
I'll be damned :) That's why your a "senior member" and I'm a junior member on this forum. Out of habit, I speed read most things and this is a perfect example of assuming the rest is basically the same thing being said a different way.

Even with your note, I had to read it 2 times to totally see it.

SERIOUSLY, THANK YOU !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.