next motorcycle trends/gadgets - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 339 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

next motorcycle trends/gadgets

what's going to be the next motorcycle trend? right now it seems that baggers are the popular thing. which seems kind of strange to me because this isn't new. the custom bike industry has crashed, and the 00's trends of fat tires and long raked front ends has pretty much ended. what would you like to see as the next big thing(s) in the motorcycle industry?

me personally, i really would like ride-by-wire to catch on with cruisers. it's been on sportbikes for a while now, and is in some Harleys, but still isn't widespread yet. i'd also like to see bikes start to integrate some kind of HUD in the instrument console without the need for a fairing. some bikes have the LED readout in place of a speedometer/odometer, but i'd like to see the full head unit like most new cars now incorporate. it should give readouts on engine temp, let you know if a cylinder is running hotter or colder than it should, if it's misfiring, your oil/gas levels, tire pressure, etc. and i see no reason why this can't be incorporated into bikes without disturbing the styling of the rest of the bike.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 339 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 02:55 PM

Retro-style bikes seem to be hot now i.e Ducati Scrambler, Honda CB 1100, Yamaha SR400, etc. I agree with you regarding ride by wire. Wouldn't mind seeing ABS more commonly standard as opposed to an add-on. Curious if traction control will catch on. The only bike I know of with TC is the Moto Guzzi California.

I hope I can at least get a gear indicator and fuel guage on my next bike! Ha
post #3 of 339 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
what's going to be the next motorcycle trend? right now it seems that baggers are the popular thing. which seems kind of strange to me because this isn't new. the custom bike industry has crashed, and the 00's trends of fat tires and long raked front ends has pretty much ended. what would you like to see as the next big thing(s) in the motorcycle industry?

me personally, i really would like ride-by-wire to catch on with cruisers. it's been on sportbikes for a while now, and is in some Harleys, but still isn't widespread yet. i'd also like to see bikes start to integrate some kind of HUD in the instrument console without the need for a fairing. some bikes have the LED readout in place of a speedometer/odometer, but i'd like to see the full head unit like most new cars now incorporate. it should give readouts on engine temp, let you know if a cylinder is running hotter or colder than it should, if it's misfiring, your oil/gas levels, tire pressure, etc. and i see no reason why this can't be incorporated into bikes without disturbing the styling of the rest of the bike.
So I guess I'll show what a newb I am and ask what the heck is ride-by-wire? Is that a none cable system for the throttle and such?

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 339 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
So I guess I'll show what a newb I am and ask what the heck is ride-by-wire? Is that a none cable system for the throttle and such?

Dan
Ride-by-wire is the motorcycle version of vehicle's drive by wire. The throttle is connected electronically and there is no cable to the fuel injection system (forget carbs). BMWs, Indian, many Harleys and others have had it for a while now and it seems to work fine. My 04 F-150 has it, my Kia Optima has it and my prior Impala had it and none have had any problem with it.
post #5 of 339 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:12 PM

Right, so using wireless, OK I figured yes, would be cool! And less cables hanging off the bars
post #6 of 339 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 PM

Ride by wire is why Toyota had all of those recalls. There is also a delay in throttle response in a lot of situations.
post #7 of 339 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 07:51 PM

If you believe the motorcycle mags, they're all touting the benefits and eco friendly ideas of an electric motorcycle and automatic trannies on bikes. I don't think they're ever gonna catch on however. I ride a bike because I LIKE the sound of the motor and I LIKE shifting. What's next? AC on a bike? NO THANKS.
mcmike54, mcmike54 and graybeard like this.

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
post #8 of 339 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:14 PM

been looking at the FJ-09 it has three speed settings.sport, standard and slow why could'nt they program vehicles to stay within the speed limits.they would be hard to sell tho
post #9 of 339 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:14 PM

I ride a Roadstar because it's no frills and you can buy really solid ones for under $4k. A lot of those features just add cost. Sure they increase safety in some cases, but so does never riding a motorcycle.

Regarding styling though, I am a fan of the new slimmed down styles. The SR400 looks pretty cool to me, and I happen to like the fact that it's a kickie.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #10 of 339 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 AM

HUD, Traction control, lights and gauges for every little system on the bike...Not for me. If that's what you like then its all good but for me, two wheels, a comfy seat, a little torque, and some noise from the pipes is all I need on a bike. I can agree on ABS but other than that it's just something to add to both the purchase price and the repair cost if needed.
Look at the modern cagers today. We all talk about distracted drivers with cell phones...well with all the touch screens, buttons, lights and controls in many cars today seems to me the car would be more distracting than a phone for some people. Bringing any amount of that to a bike would send me in the other direction. But again that's just my opinion. Not saying it's wrong, it's just not for me.
ceanderson and ceanderson like this.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode