Couples Riding...Seperately!!! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Couples Riding...Seperately!!!

At first i wasn't a big fan of my wife riding her own, but now we really enjoy it,she has turned out to be a great rider, it started out with her going to motorcycle classes with our freinds wife because she didn't want to go alone,she already had a bike and wanted to get her endorsement,well as it turned out of the 3 ladies who went, mine was the only one to pass so she got her endorsement. And the rest is history,she still don't ride w/o me but she is good enough. So i was wondering how many more couples are out there riding together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:55 AM

I have tried unsuccessfully in the past to get my wife to get her own, bike but she prefers to ride 2up on mine. I certianly do not mind!!

Star Touring and Riding
Cleveland Chapter 178

Current
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe

Former Bike
2011 V Star 950
Cobra Passenger Backrest
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Kuryakyn Passenger Floor Boards
V&H Slip on Exhuast
Mephis Shades Batwing
Back Off Brake Light Module
L&M Chin Scoop
Cobra FI2000R
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM

My wife was gonna take over on the Vstar, though i honestly didnt want her too, but she has decided not too. I think she just wants to sell the bike so I can do some work on the house!!! Lol

2009 Raider, Cobra Swept Pipes, Cobra Fuel Commander, Memphis Shades bullet fairing. Trying to wear out the rear so I can throw a 240 on it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 04:14 PM

We talk about it, how much fun she'd have, the extra crap we can carry, etc and, maybe, some day but, she simply loves being on the back and sightseeing and that is the core problem; fear of her attention span, getting distracted and the near non existent margin for error when riding a motorcycle.

On the other side, I love her being on the back and being able to share in seeing stuff together. Her pointing out something over there, me tapping her thigh for something over there. It's just, for us, everything we want in riding, the togetherness, the connection. Sounds sappy, I know but, that's it for us; riding together and we go every chance we get, even to the grocery store.

It takes time to get used to two up, where the gray area starts, to build the feel and instincts and reactions that you have built when it's just you and, frankly, it took away from my enjoyment a good bit, pretty much like starting over. Now, with 1,000's of miles under us on every bit of road I'd go on solo, it is second nature. Maybe not as aggressive all the time but, very relaxed, very 'in' the bike.

And, when I go alone, it brings back that amazing guts y'all remember the first time you ever flogged your Strat!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 06:19 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
My wife rides her own scoot and does a great job at it.She took the safety course which was great because I could teach her all the wrong things to do. I've been riding so many years and picked up too many bad habits.She rides by her self or with friends. She can out ride most of my riding buddies. Once in a while she will ride with me but I get a headache when she rides on the back lol.When we go camping it's great cause we have to bikes for hauling all out stuff.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Garage
I envy you guys. My wife won't even ride with me. I'm a safe driver but she's got this fear for some reason. Any pointers on getting her convinced to try riding would be great.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Ok Corsair this is straight from my wife. Start off by letting her sit on the back with the bike running, take it off the kick stand and let her feel it with your feet on the ground. Rock it back and forth just to show her you have it steady and up right. If that seems to ease her a little try a short scoot around the block or just down the driveway.It's no different than riding a bicycle or dangerous. If you can get her on it make sure you have the proper safety gear. Hope this helps.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

So i'm getting the feeling that there isn't that many couples who ride together--seperatly! we do enjoy it..there are times when she will still hop on w/me, i do miss chatting w/her we had helmet to helmet intercoms they were great, i am looking at bike to bike intercoms now...wow take out a loan!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM

My wife and I ride together 2-up and separately, depends on the agenda for the day. She's petite and was intimidated by the 1100 so we found a nice 650 Custom for her--just the right size and more than enough power for riding around the island. Yeah, we have an "interstate" here (no kidding!) but the highest speed limit on it is only 60 mph. Quite a few women riders in Hawaii. She is a safer rider than most I know and is always looking to improve her riding ability.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 08:13 AM

My wife had a small 125 (The biggest a learner can ride in the UK) even doinfg a 45 mile in each direction commute to work a couple of years ago (In summer and in good weather) but she has short legs and had problems with controlling the bike at junctions etc. So she bought a trike (Can be ridden on a full car licence) and has never looked back. She rides on her own and with me but does not like being pillion on my or any other bike, it is also very good when we go in rallies and camping trips as we have bought a trailer so there is nothing to be pilled up on the back of my bike.

She likes to be in controll of the bike as well as at home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode