Question about selling a bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Question about selling a bike

I'm getting ready to put a bike on CL and have a couple of questions. What restrictions should I place on a potential buyer (pb) who wants to test drive the bike, assuming he has a valid mc endorsement? Should I make up a release form for the pb to sign in case he has an accident and causes property damage to a third party or injures himself or another party? Yes, I probably worry too much, but I do live in a litigious state. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
No road test unless he or she is a serious buyer with money in his or her pocket.Just my thought. Then again it depends on what kind of bike your selling.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Banned

I have asked for proof that the "pb" is an insured driver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 PM

Go two up. That way the bike is not out of your site. And do what hdeater113 and stratowart say, too. Protect yourself, bub-

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Garage
When I bought my ride the former owner gave me a test ride (he drove) and then he gave me permission to ride in his neibourhood. But in retrospect, he told me that that, the second part, was a bad idea since he didn't ask me for my insurance or driver card.

Do the CYA first, you never know.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM

Before buyer, potential or other wise, NO-JOYRIDES, no $cash$ from them in your hand no ride. If they like it they can buy it, if they don't you can give the money back and they can keep looking for a bike they like.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 PM

Never sold one myself, but i've heard of guys asking the test rider to fill out a check and hand it over before the ride.......

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:14 AM

Tough call.

On one side, I wouldn't hand thousands to a total stranger in order to take a test drive even if I had witnesses to the event. On the other side, how are you going to know if the Financial Responsibility Card you've been shown is for insurance that hasn't been canceled? A new rider or someone between bikes probably isn't going to have MC insurance. I'm pretty sure that my auto insurance doesn't cover me what-so-ever on my, or anyone else's, bike. I believe it' got to be separate. Furthermore, how are you going to know if the insurance is minimum liability or liability and collision? If the rider is under-insured for any damage or personal injury to themselves and/or to others, There's a possibility that you'd end up being responsible for the deficit amount that your combined insurances wouldn't cover.

I think you're going to find that a lot of your pb's are not going to even have current liability, almost none are going to be willing to hand you the purchase price in cash, and very few are going to be willing to write you a large check to hold prior to the deal's close.

I didn't even ask to test drive my 650. I saw it's condition, the odometer reading, heard it run, and handed the owner a check. I was the first one to look at it, and I could actually feel the owner(s)' apprehension on the issue hanging in the air. I'm a dead-on judge of character, and I didn't need a test drive. It was a "you had to be there" situation.

Thinking back, having driven nothing but a Honda CM250 Custom in 33 years, I didn't want to drive the much larger bike until I could get it on my country road at a time of day when the road would be empty. There are a few of us that have that sense of responsibility, but don't expect it from all of your pbs.

In fact, when I sold the Honda CM250 two weeks later, I knew the guy who wanted it. However, he'd just passed his test, so I went out behind him on the 650. Going out a mile or two was fine. Coming back, I watched the guy run away from me, reaching 55+ mph on our country road that was still damp from the previous day's rain. I maintained 40 mph and was not pleased. I just shook my head, he kept it upright, and I guess everything worked out.

My advice is to choose the biggest empty parking area you can find and offer it or nothing. Ask for proof of insurance even in the parking area, but don't expect many to have it. You can also ask for the purchase price, but be prepared to hold a much smaller depo against potential damage. Most of all, make your terms crystal clear when setting up appointments. I'm looking at it this way: If the pb wants to open that particular model up and go through all the gears, there's got to be a dealer somewhere with the same or similar model. Dealers are usually well insured. I had a very small business and it was surprisingly inexpensive to carry a million-dollar liability policy.

Way back when the Gold Wing first came out, I, a long-haired leaping gnome at the time, was in the next town, on foot, with a couple of hours to kill. I decided to spend some of that time daydreaming at the Honda dealer. Salesman comes up behind me and the brand new Gold Wing and says, "Want to take her for a ride?" "Uh...sure." Didn't even take my ID. Moments later, way down the four-lane... I would have sworn I was going 50, looked down and was going 85. The thing was smoother than any car I'd ever been in and, as far as acceleration, seemed just shy of the nitrous-oxide boosted vehicle I had ridden in. Ah, but those days are long gone. The world's changed a bit. Anyway...

I'm a back-roads type of guy, so I'm hoping that I'll be as happy with my little pony as I am now. It'd be nice to have a 6th gear for a few interstate runs, but I'll just have to deal with the rev on those occasions. Everyone I've seen comment on the 650 says that it'll run 70 mph all day, every day, with no ill effect.

Best of luck with it. Let us know how things go.

Last edited by 650vstar2003; 01-25-2012 at 01:05 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

A lot of very good ideas here. Thank you all for replying.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650vstar2003 View Post
Tough call.

On one side, I wouldn't hand thousands to a total stranger in order to take a test drive even if I had witnesses to the event. On the other side, how are you going to know if the Financial Responsibility Card you've been shown is for insurance that hasn't been canceled? A new rider or someone between bikes probably isn't going to have MC insurance. I'm pretty sure that my auto insurance doesn't cover me what-so-ever on my, or anyone else's, bike. I believe it' got to be separate. Furthermore, how are you going to know if the insurance is minimum liability or liability and collision? If the rider is under-insured for any damage or personal injury to themselves and/or to others, There's a possibility that you'd end up being responsible for the deficit amount that your combined insurances wouldn't cover.

I think you're going to find that a lot of your pb's are not going to even have current liability, almost none are going to be willing to hand you the purchase price in cash, and very few are going to be willing to write you a large check to hold prior to the deal's close.

I didn't even ask to test drive my 650. I saw it's condition, the odometer reading, heard it run, and handed the owner a check. I was the first one to look at it, and I could actually feel the owner(s)' apprehension on the issue hanging in the air. I'm a dead-on judge of character, and I didn't need a test drive. It was a "you had to be there" situation.

Thinking back, having driven nothing but a Honda CM250 Custom in 33 years, I didn't want to drive the much larger bike until I could get it on my country road at a time of day when the road would be empty. There are a few of us that have that sense of responsibility, but don't expect it from all of your pbs.

In fact, when I sold the Honda CM250 two weeks later, I knew the guy who wanted it. However, he'd just passed his test, so I went out behind him on the 650. Going out a mile or two was fine. Coming back, I watched the guy run away from me, reaching 55+ mph on our country road that was still damp from the previous day's rain. I maintained 40 mph and was not pleased. I just shook my head, he kept it upright, and I guess everything worked out.

My advice is to choose the biggest empty parking area you can find and offer it or nothing. Ask for proof of insurance even in the parking area, but don't expect many to have it. You can also ask for the purchase price, but be prepared to hold a much smaller depo against potential damage. Most of all, make your terms crystal clear when setting up appointments. I'm looking at it this way: If the pb wants to open that particular model up and go through all the gears, there's got to be a dealer somewhere with the same or similar model. Dealers are usually well insured. I had a very small business and it was surprisingly inexpensive to carry a million-dollar liability policy.

Way back when the Gold Wing first came out, I, a long-haired leaping gnome at the time, was in the next town, on foot, with a couple of hours to kill. I decided to spend some of that time daydreaming at the Honda dealer. Salesman comes up behind me and the brand new Gold Wing and says, "Want to take her for a ride?" "Uh...sure." Didn't even take my ID. Moments later, way down the four-lane... I would have sworn I was going 50, looked down and was going 85. The thing was smoother than any car I'd ever been in and, as far as acceleration, seemed just shy of the nitrous-oxide boosted vehicle I had ridden in. Ah, but those days are long gone. The world's changed a bit. Anyway...

I'm a back-roads type of guy, so I'm hoping that I'll be as happy with my little pony as I am now. It'd be nice to have a 6th gear for a few interstate runs, but I'll just have to deal with the rev on those occasions. Everyone I've seen comment on the 650 says that it'll run 70 mph all day, every day, with no ill effect.

Best of luck with it. Let us know how things go.

Nice post, lots of good points
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode