fork tubes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

fork tubes

question. when referring to fork tube circumference or size or whatever, which part are people measuring? most of us have telescopic fork tubes which are mainly 2 parts. the upper part contains fluids/springs and so forth and is larger than the lower part of the tubes. so there's actually 2 different measurements for the tubes. so which is measured? what size is it really?

i'm looking at replacing my turn signals and want to make sure i'm getting the correct size.

in additional this, what is actually measured when talking about fork tube sizes? for instance, i know that i have 41mm fork tubes on my v star 950. but what, exactly, is 41mm long?

Last edited by bevo1981; 01-29-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Banned

Hey Bevo, I.m pretty sure forks are sized by the outside diameter of the inner fork tube. In other words, your fork seals will have an inside diameter of 41mm and therefore will fit inside the outer tube which will have a different and larger inside and outside diameter, like 55mm or something close to that.

I don't think your 41mm spec size of your forks will coincide with how turn signals are sized. My guess would be they are sold to fit the outside diameter of where you want to mount them. In the case of a stratoliner/roadliner, turn signals may be mounted to chrome covers that dress up the outside of the fork tubes. For what you are doing, I would simply measure the diameter of where you want to mount the turn signals and use that measurement to order them.

The easiest and most accurate way to measure the diameter is with a set of calipers. If you don't have those you can wrap a cloth tape ruler around it and take that length (girth or circumference) and divide it by 3.14. If your cloth tape measures in inches you will have to convert it to millimeters if that is how the turn signals are sized.

Last edited by stratowart; 01-29-2012 at 06:01 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

yeah i measured the diameter already and it's way over 41mm, both upper and lower part of the tube. 41mm is pretty small, a little longer than the length of the tip of your thumb to your first knuckle. so i don't see how that measures anything on the outside. but these sites are sizing out the LED clamp signals by the size of your fork tubes and i want to make sure i'm picking something that clamps around the upper stanchion near my current turn signals. the diameter of my lower tubes are around 60mm. i just want to know what is actually measured and i can't find anything online.

http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.asp?prodid=670484
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Banned

Yep, 41mm is just a tad over 1 1/2 inches. Go with the diameter you measured at the place you want to mount them and place the order.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

By the way, how exactly do mount them to the fork? Do they spit into halves and you reconnect the two halves around the fork??

Might make sense to give them a call.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 PM

I replaced my stock turn signals with small chrome bullet lights. Used chrome Kuryakyn clamps in 41mm size to mount them to the fork tubes between the upper and lower triple clamps. I do not know what size your tubes are but most I have seem for metrics in the Star line are 41mm. They are hinged clamps that simply wrap around the for tube and pinch into place when you tighten down the light mounting nut. Same principle as you wouldsee on a crash bar clamp. I posted photos on here somewhere of my mod. I will find and post a photo of mine.

Here is an Ebay sale for the clamps I used. VERY NICE AND CLEAN!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KURYAKYN-401...item1c23235a8a
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0603.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1394  

2003 V Star 1100 Custom
My Trixie has:
Corbin seat
Tons of Kuryakyn chrome accy's
Vance and Hines Classics exhaust
SS Chubby pod kit
Barnett clutch
Blue L.E.D's
Custom aluminum wheels
Hard bags/touring trunk w/quick release
National Cycle Switchblade windshield
Cycle Sounds Series 2 audio system

Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 01-30-2012 at 07:55 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

thanks Dirk. that's kind of what i was looking to find out. i want to make sure these things attach to the upper part of my forks and not lower. but i'm still leery of not knowing what exactly is 41mm or what they actually measure on the fork tubes.

the kind i'm looking at are either the more expensive kind that is an aluminum bracelet that clasps onto the tube, or the less expensive which are just the plastic sleeves of LEDs that are applied with 3M adhesive and zip ties.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Banned

Geez, I dunno Bevo, I think your bike has the chrome covers over the fork tubes up there between the upper and lower steering head clamps. I'd bet you a coffee and a donut that is a bit bigger than 41mm.

Hey Dirk, can you measure the actual diameter of that place where you have the Kury blinkers mounted?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM

Hey dirk how hard is it to take the light bar off of the 1100? I have been wanting to remove mine for a cleaner look,and the fact it is a little broke does not help.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseCarmack View Post
Hey dirk how hard is it to take the light bar off of the 1100? I have been wanting to remove mine for a cleaner look,and the fact it is a little broke does not help.
Never had a light bar. Sorry. Just stock headlight and rubber mounted turn signals on my 2003 1100 Custom.

2003 V Star 1100 Custom
My Trixie has:
Corbin seat
Tons of Kuryakyn chrome accy's
Vance and Hines Classics exhaust
SS Chubby pod kit
Barnett clutch
Blue L.E.D's
Custom aluminum wheels
Hard bags/touring trunk w/quick release
National Cycle Switchblade windshield
Cycle Sounds Series 2 audio system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode