Trip Planning - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Trip Planning

Hey guys - I am looking to plan a 3-4 trip on the bike this coming summer. This will me my first time taking an extended trip on the bike.
What are some of the thing you guys plan for on a extended roadtrip? It all seems very easy to plan, but I am sure everybody here will bring up several points I have not considered. One specific thing is, I am not comfortable with the thought of leaving my bike in a hotel parking lot overnight. They are far to easy to load up and drive off with.

Any suggestions would be great!

Star Touring and Riding
Cleveland Chapter 178

Current
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe

Former Bike
2011 V Star 950
Cobra Passenger Backrest
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Kuryakyn Passenger Floor Boards
V&H Slip on Exhuast
Mephis Shades Batwing
Back Off Brake Light Module
L&M Chin Scoop
Cobra FI2000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsfan View Post
Hey guys - I am looking to plan a 3-4 trip on the bike this coming summer. This will me my first time taking an extended trip on the bike.
What are some of the thing you guys plan for on a extended roadtrip? It all seems very easy to plan, but I am sure everybody here will bring up several points I have not considered. One specific thing is, I am not comfortable with the thought of leaving my bike in a hotel parking lot overnight. They are far to easy to load up and drive off with.

Any suggestions would be great!
My wife, myself and our riding friends cruise to the shore a few times a summer for the weekend. Here are my simple tips...

Pack light. Necessities only and a variety of clothes for warmer or cooler riding times. RAIN GEAR! I have never had any issues parking my bike around any hotel lots...YET! Use a simple inexpensive lock for the front brake rotor available at most dealers/bike shops. They won't be able to push it too far if someone decides to play around with it. Most street cruisers are too heavy for anyone to easliy load it in a truck. I have a good ramp and I need 2 friends to help with it. It's just not that easy. Above all, don't let your worries take over your trip. Get out, enjoy the ride and have a great time!

The big benefit of having a bike, is being able to park it in more visible or higher traffic spaces which aids in your peace of mind. Usually less chance of it being messed with in a higher traffic space around a hotel/motel entranceway. Plus you get to soak in all the compliments and ogling by people passing by it. Most facilities will allow it to be parked in spaces a vehicle will obviously not fit. Just ask nicely.

P.S...don't forget your toothbrush. The motel clerk will look at ya funny with all them bugs in your teeth HAAA HAAAA!!!!

http://www.bikebandit.com/master-loc...isc-brake-lock

2003 V Star 1100 Custom
My Trixie has:
Corbin seat
Tons of Kuryakyn chrome accy's
Vance and Hines Classics exhaust
SS Chubby pod kit
Barnett clutch
Blue L.E.D's
Custom aluminum wheels
Hard bags/touring trunk w/quick release
National Cycle Switchblade windshield
Cycle Sounds Series 2 audio system

Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 01-30-2012 at 11:52 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
+1 Dirk well said. When you make motel reservation just let them know your traveling on your scooter and they will try and get you a ground level room. Hopefully with parking right outside your window or door. Just have fun be safe and keep the shiny side up.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

don't pack light. there's only so much you can actually pack on a bike so you want to pack as much and as smart as you can. bring cool and warm clothes. sunscreen. even though it may be cold, you will be exposed to direct sunlight for large portions of the day. stay hydrated. grab frequent drinks throughout the day at gas stops. make sure you're well prepared on eyewear. check your tire pressure before heading out and at least once during your trip. good idea to get an oil change beforehand if you're almost due. while you're at it, check your brakes.

rain gear.
batteries for electronics.
map/GPS.
don't be afraid to deviate from your plan or route every now and then. some of the best parts about bike trips can be accidentally finding cool places by just wandering around. with that said, don't overplan. don't get too specific about all the places and times you want to keep and see. you're not on a business trip with an itinerary to keep. agreed with parking in well lit and public places. just because you're away from home doesn't mean you're that much more prone to getting ripped off than you are in your home town.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 AM

All good points, I might add to take a small notebook and list what you have packed, and you will no doubt add to that list on your trip( I wish I brought______ fill in the blank) Refer to it on your next trip. Also it's nice to make notes at the end of the day(where you went, what you saw, miles ridden, good motel or not ect.)

After years of trips I still refer back to all notes, fun reading.

Have a fun and safe trip Ride Safe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

a lot of great info here. Thanks alot guys and gal!

"don't get too specific about all the places and times you want to keep and see. you're not on a business trip with an itinerary to keep."

Bevo - Not looking to make this mistake, I do enough travel for business as it is. I am just wanting to point the bike north, south, east or west and see where I end up.

Star Touring and Riding
Cleveland Chapter 178

Current
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe

Former Bike
2011 V Star 950
Cobra Passenger Backrest
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Kuryakyn Passenger Floor Boards
V&H Slip on Exhuast
Mephis Shades Batwing
Back Off Brake Light Module
L&M Chin Scoop
Cobra FI2000R
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM

I don't like to leave my bike in a parking lot open to the public at any point in time especially overnight.

Hotels can be fairly accommodating. I took a weekend trip to Hocking Hills, and unfortunately it rained half the time I was there. But, the hotel let all motorcyclists park their motorcycles under the covered area at the front entrance.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 PM

If your planning the trip with your spouse then make sure you don't forget her/him. That makes for a looooong (and louzy) trip

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode