Do pipes save lives? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Do pipes save lives?

let the cages rattle and the thunder roll. heated topic and i want to see what you guys all think about it. can't remember seeing a thread on this on this site so here goes.

i personally don't believe that loud pipes save anything but your piece of mind. if you want to get aftermarket pipes for any number of reasons: looks, sound, power, status, etc., fine. i love aftermarket pipes. have some myself. but when someone says they got their aftermarket pipes because they 'save lives' then i gotta cry BS. if it makes you feel safer or more secure when you ride to have them on, then great. piece of mind is a great reason. i just don't think anyone should make such a proclamation when there's nothing to suggest they do or don't except maybe a personal story of yours which may or may not even suggest anything.

i'll add more opinions later after i see what some of you have to say. but here's a Michigan study i found that analyzed thousands of motorcycle accidents and it's the most factual data i've seen regarding this topic. it suggests to me that there is really no correlation between motorcycle accidents with or without aftermarket exhausts and other motorists. take a peak and make your own conclusions.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...5253--,00.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 AM

There was a report a while back i think it was called the hurt report. Statistically more bikes with aftermarket exhausts were in wrecks than those with not,but the data could not say if that was because of so many aftermarket pipes on bikes or aftermarket pipes make you a little more reckless.

Anyways i am in the boat of they do not save lives.
post #3 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:25 AM
Banned

This is a fantastic study and I need to scan thru it a few more times because I was focused more on which types of multiple vehicle (M-V) accidents tend to result in high percentages of motorcyclist severe injury or fatality. I came away from my first perusal noting that angled collisions are significantly the most common. And will agree that noise would not benifit anybody on those situations. The other statistic that I focused on was fatalities due to improper lane changes on freeways which is a very small percentage of the study's population (fault attributed to the motorcycle operator).

I encourage all to read this one and don't just focus on noise. It teaches a lot more.

Last edited by stratowart; 02-02-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Banned

Oh ya, I forgot the "boat vote",,, It's a complex study of various situations each one having two boats, you can't pick just one boat here.

post #5 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 AM

My pipes are not super loud or stock hushed, I do not think anything could save you being t-boned at an intersection, other than being aware and alert.

For me, I have got out of a jam(someone squeezing my lane ect) more times using my horn. Seems I can get a drivers attention that is pulling out of a side road/street better with the horn than rattlin the pipes. Don't know if the pipes helped too, or not.

I have one foot on the dock.

The cows are nowhere in sight

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 02-02-2012 at 07:25 AM.
post #6 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM

In my opinion, aftermarket pipes are purely for the cool or performance factor. I disbelieve that any pipe with a higher decibel level than stock would save life or limb. However in relation to the horn attention getter brought to light via Sugar Bear, I LOVE my extremely loud aftermarket air horn which has brought many unaware drivers attention to my prescence.

2003 V Star 1100 Custom
My Trixie has:
Corbin seat
Tons of Kuryakyn chrome accy's
Vance and Hines Classics exhaust
SS Chubby pod kit
Barnett clutch
Blue L.E.D's
Custom aluminum wheels
Hard bags/touring trunk w/quick release
National Cycle Switchblade windshield
Cycle Sounds Series 2 audio system
post #7 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 08:19 AM

I think it's a matter of peace of mind more than anything for people who claim that they save lives.

People buy aftermarket for the "cool" factor. Example: Bevo. His pipes make his bike. Without the black V&H the factory pipe would stick out like a sore thumb. Great job not claiming you put them on there for the sake of saving you skin...

As for the horn mention: 1. Does anybody else think that the 950 horn sounds like it belongs on a 50cc scooter? 2. I end up accidentally pressing the starter button half the time rather than the horn button. Guess I'm reacting Bass Ackwards.

Nick
2009 Tommy Blue V Star 950
Purchased 2-28-11
post #8 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Banned

I'll speak up and say that in some cases, aftermarket pipes are chosen for style and appearance. I guess one could say that is a subset of coolness, but in the case of the Warrior, the only feature that 90% of buyers change first was the exhaust because the stock muffler was an eyesore to most owners. If there where no such thing as aftermarket exhausts then it can be summized that Warrior sales would have been poor and would not have been in production beyond the '02 models. I didn't go the aftermarket exhaust for the "look at me" ego boost, it just needed to be improved period. It just so happens, as with most aftermarket exhausts, it was louder than the stock muffler.

The tricky part about the study is, is that it can only afford us data on accidents that "happened" and not accidents that "didn't happen". So one consideration you must open your mind to is IF the question was worded as:

"Is it possible that a loud muffler (on a bike or other vehicle) prevented a catastrophe from happening?"

then, in the famous words of Police Chief Martin Brody, "We're going to need a bigger boat."

post #9 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:07 PM

What's the percentage of people who were intentionally run down due to their obnoxiously loud pipes......?
post #10 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
What's the percentage of people who were intentionally run down due to their obnoxiously loud pipes......?
The Warrior I owned was "obnoxiously" loud, in fact I referred to it by that very same word myself (Bub's Jughuggars).

I never got run down, perhaps couldn't catch me, therefore in my scientific research, 0%!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode