Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Full M license training course worthwhile?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  bpounds 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to book my exit test this spring for my full license, and from what I can see in our book (Ontario), the test sounds straight-forward (if you can manage to suppress any bad habits). I'm debating on whether to register for the exit training/test course at our local college. However, it sounds as though you only get one day of training before you test (I'm assuming to ride the actual route for practice).

I know I've only been riding a couple years, but given my age/experience, I like to think I'm a fairly sensible/safe driver. I'd be curious to hear some opinions, one way or the other, on whether there's any value in taking this course. I'm thinking that money (~$375) could be better spent on one of the advanced rider courses instead.

#2 ·
You must have an M1 or M2 in the graduated licencing and are going for a full M. Personally, if I thought I could pass I'd do the test and spend that $375 on the advanced course and take it ASAP. Or, if you fail the test, then take the training course.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
#5 ·
Very cool. Now you're legal. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: stratsurvivor
#6 ·
I have been licensed in 2 different states and have never taken a course or test..........

when 14 I taught the motorcycle course for the local Yamaha shop that was my race sponsor ( the class was monitored by the local DMV) when I turned 16 the monitor from my class was the tester, he signed it off and told me to get the hell out of his face.That was Missouri.

Was renewing tag on my Harley and the woman told me Florida was starting a motorcycle license and for $10 she would add it , no test for that one either.

#8 ·
Yah, times have certainly changed in regard to all forms of vehicle licencing. As an example, my father was given his car licence by a gas station/garage proprietor without him knowing two words of English (my Dad that is). And we can debate 'till the cows come home if it makes the roads any safer. Can agree though, it's another level of taxation.

#10 ·
In Florida now you have to take a $280 to $300 MSF course or no license, yet in neighboring Alabama it is a $10 , 9 question written test.

#11 ·
In Indiana, I had to sit a multi-choice test in the BMV branch to get my provisional. To be fully licensed, I had the choice of attending (and passing) an approved MSF course or doing a road test. I chose to do the MSF course...

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
#15 ·
In California the M1 endorsement is $37.00 dollars. To get a license, you may either complete the MSF or pass a motorcycle driving test at a DMV office. The motorcycle driving test includes a pre-trip inspection, riding in different track paths, slow riding, and gear shifting.

Class M1: Authorizes you to operate any motorcycle and all vehicles listed under Class M2.
Class M2: Authorizes you to operate a motorized bicycle, moped, or any bicycle with a motor attached.

For my M1 I took the MSF course. Upon completion of the course, I went to DMV, took the written test, showed my certificate and got my M1 endorsement.

#18 ·
Nice thing about CA (California, not Canada) is that if you take the class and earn the certificate, you don't have to go for the ride at the DMV office. Just the written test. I wish such a thing had existed when I first got my M1. I think DMV really wants folks to avoid the practical test at their office, and they do what they can to push that.

As far as the OP question, you can never take too many courses. If you have any doubt, I suggest you just take it all. It cannot hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.