V-Star 950 vs the 1300 help plz... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

V-Star 950 vs the 1300 help plz...

I am shopping for a new bike and like both the V-Star 950 and 1300. I could really use some help in picking which one will be better for me.

I like the looks of the 950 and every thing I have read about them has been good.

I dont like the look of the 1300 as much but I do like that it has duel front disk brakes and is liquid cooled.

I am a bigger guy and will have a passenger with me when I do a multi state tour in 2013. The rest of the time I will be doing city, highway, and country road riding but short distances for the most part.

Can anyone give me some help on figuring out what bike would be better for me?

Last edited by BadWolf; 03-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:50 PM

See my response to your "New Member" thread.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTwelve View Post
See my response to your "New Member" thread.
Thanks Ten I did see your post and I appreciate the advice. But I was really hope that some riders that have these bikes could tell me why they like theres and picked the one they did.

The bikes about the same length and there isnt that huge of a difference in power and weight (942-cc 613 Lb 950) and (1304-cc 712 Lb 1300) Making the difference of 362 ccs but also 99lbs . The 950 is a litte lower and I like that b/c my girl who might ride it from time to time with out me is only 5ft. How ever I have heard complants of the foot board scrapping on turns b/c of it being low.

The 1300 is a little bit more of a bike but I am just not sure if it is more enough to make it worth it you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 PM

The 950 will take what you dish out. You just have to equip it properly. Crash bars and highway pegs, Drivers backrest, ISO grips, and get used to the stock seat or buy an after market one.
Mine seems to have all the power I need. She'll quickly climb to 70 - 80 mph and run like that down the interstate very comfortably, and still has plenty of power to pass a semi or whatever. I'm not big, and my wife is tiny so it's just right for us. I don't know how it would be someone big. See if they'll let you test ride them. Hope this helps a little. Good luck. And welcome!

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 PM

Initially, my choice of the 1300 came down to liquid cooling and price. In the Phoenix area I felt liquid-cooled was a must for our summers. And in 7/2010 I could get a new '09 1300 cheaper than either a new '09 950 or 1100, much less the 2010's. I had returned to riding after a 25+ year hiatus and first got a 650R Ninja. But after my last back surgeries I (mistakenly) thought a cruiser would work better for my back, hence the new 1300.

For the size of the bike I find that it is surprisingly agile. A sport bike by no means, but it does handle well. Power is more than adequate for your intended needs. I am at 240 lbs. and performance is pretty strong, having done the airbox mod and adding a slip-on exhaust. Mine is currently set up for solo riding at this time. I think you will find the higher stock hp./torque of the 1300 to be a benefit for two-up travels.

One concern I do have about the 1300 vs. the 950 or 1100 though is the availibility of aftermarket "stuff". While you can get most of the things one may often add-on to the bike (seats, bags, bars, racks, etc.) the variety is often lacking. Though a newer design/model the 950 seems to have a larger selection of accessories out there.

Another downside of the 1300 may be insurance costs. It may be cheaper to insure the 950 than the 1300. Some companies don't seem to regard the fact that it is a fairly heavy slow cruiser- they just look at that 1300cc number and think high output speed demon bike.

From your description of your intended use of the bike, I think you would be very happy with the 1300.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all that was the kind of info I was looking for
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 PM

I'd also suggest seeing if you can still find left-over Strats or Roadies. That's a whole hell of a lot of bike for little money if you can find the new-old-stock.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Have you looked at the bigger star bikes? Roadstar or LIners? More power,rides smoother and handles just as good if not better.Just a thought. Now if your stuck on the 2 smaller bikes then I would go with the 1300.More power for two up riding but yet still nimble for the solo rides through town. My strat maybe big but it handles like a sport bike.Just my 2.379 cents worth.Good luck with your choice and keep in mind that no matter what one you buy you're gonna get an awesome scoot.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 PM

Heh, I came from a bike that was exceedingly nimble to the Strat. The Strat does not handle like a sportbike. It does how handle really, really well for a big bike.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

I am not sure if I wanna go any bigger for a few reasons.
Most of the time I will not need the bigger bike my girl is getter her own she only ride with me on long trips.
I am 25 so I think the insurance will kill me on a big bike and just the up front cost as well.
I will be doing a lot of "Big City riding if I take the bike to cleveland for work and want something nimble to get around with.
I think that the 96 inches will be long enough (Thats what she said)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode